The time has come, zone or bds lift 4"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I preferred to open a new thread to get more direct advice and choose my definitive setup.

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie with 3.21 gears 5.7 hemi that currently has 20" wheels with 275/60r20 tires.

I have the 1" Eibach springs at the rear and 2.25" at the front installed on the Bilstein 5100 set to 0. Ok, it's fine but it doesn't satisfy me anymore!!

I decided to redo the look of my truck and I want to fit a kit with 3" springs at the rear and the Fox 2.5 DSCs at the front set for a total of 5" (4"+ 1")

The zone kit costs around $1670 with fox 2.0 adventures rear and 3" springs

The bds kit costs around $2600 with fox 2.0 performance rear and 3" springs

The fox 2.5 dsc with code 883-06-073 are 4" longer than the stocks and offer an additional 2" of adjustable lift by screwing or unscrewing the collar with the thread (price around $2200) therefore setting the front of the truck to 5" I should completely eliminate the rake and have a perfect level.

Can I combine these fox 2.5 with both kits which basically offer the same components?

Is Bds worth $900 more?

There is no option on zone or bds to match the adjustable fox 2.5 dsc so I will have to buy them separately.

I was also thinking about getting just the zone kit without the fox 2.0 for $1370 and investing another 1500" for the fox 2.5 dsc on the rear too.

Is worth ? For the rear, would there be much difference between the adjustable fox 2.0 and fox 2.5 dsc?

To recap the options

Option 1- 4" Zone Kit with fox 2.0 adventure at $1670 + adjustable fox 2.5 dsc $2200 = $3870

Option 2 - 4" Bds kit with fox 2.0 performance at 2600" + adjustable fox 2.5 dsc $2200 = $4800

Option 3 - Zone 4" kit without shock $1447 + fox 2.5 dsc front $2200 + fox 2.5 dsc rear $1500 = $5147

I want to run with my 33" wheels at the beginning and only after they have worn out move to 35".

Considering that I live in Italy and will have to order everything online, can you advise me if the setup I chose is valid and which brand to choose?

I'm sure I'll put the 2.5 in the front but as I don't do offroad and drive most of the time on the motorway and in the city, perhaps for the rear installing the Fox 2.0 might also be sufficient.

I await your feedback, please help me with this build.

Thanks and greetings from Italy

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-17 at 12.16.17 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-17 at 12.16.17 (1).jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
minotto

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello guys , any suggest ?
I'm in the right way ?

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not a clue about the kits your talking about, but i think that truck, with those wheels would look better with more sidewall on the tire and a lift

i think leaving the 33s on an lift it, it will look silly (meaning, out of proportion)

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
oh, as far as lift kits, ive used rough country before and liked them

OP
OP
minotto

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well zone is the best choice in combo with fox 2.5 dsc on front and 35" tires

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ever thought of doing a body lift instead.If it's a pavement princess a body lift might be a better option,then a suspension lift

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ever thought of doing a body lift instead.If it's a pavement princess a body lift might be a better option,then a suspension lift
i always considered a body lift a short cut
but who knows, the OP might find it acceptable

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i always considered a body lift a short cut
but who knows, the OP might find it acceptable
Way easier to make a body lift work,and it's easier on suspension / driveline components , plus it's easier to wheel align.
You might consider it a shortcut,i consider it a wiser decision especially on a pavement princess. Throw in the fact it's easier to return the truck to stock,if you ever want to sell it , or trade it off

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Way easier to make a body lift work,and it's easier on suspension / driveline components , plus it's easier to wheel align.
You might consider it a shortcut,i consider it a wiser decision especially on a pavement princess. Throw in the fact it's easier to return the truck to stock,if you ever want to sell it , or trade it off
Most of my stuff only gets modded for a purpose, not for looks

Even the sky skyjackers on my duster (the epitome of cool) were originally installed to clear the N50s

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Most of my stuff only gets modded for a purpose, not for looks

Even the sky skyjackers on my duster (the epitome of cool) were originally installed to clear the N50s
The guy states he doesn't go off road with it,right in his first post,so it's a pavement princess,and he's doing it strictly for looks,and in that case a body lift accomplishes the look he wants,and is probably the way he should go.

Did you also have 6" of shackles hanging under the rear bumper to,lol. I was never much of a fan of air shocks or shackles,i always had the springs re-arched when i lifted the back end ;) :waytogo: No shackles or air shocks under my old 68Z,lol.

Attachments

• ScannedImage-2.jpg
    ScannedImage-2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 6
  • ScannedImage-4.jpg
    ScannedImage-4.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The guy states he doesn't go off road with it,right in his first post,so it's a pavement princess,and he's doing it strictly for looks,and in that case a body lift accomplishes the look he wants,and is probably the way he should go.

Did you also have 6" of shackles hanging under the rear bumper to,lol. I was never much of a fan of air shocks or shackles,i always had the springs re-arched when i lifted the back end ;) :waytogo: No shackles or air shocks under my old 68Z,lol.
needs more rake man

1708551020868.png

1708551045855.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Car was a show queen,that ended up in a couple hotrod mags in the early 80's,and also made a pile of track passes,so the rake was set up to get looks,and also work at the track. Car ran high 10's in the early 80's,which is slow now,but back then a street car running 10.70's was fast as hell,lol. Your old Duster would of done nothing but spin,with that stance,lol.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Car was a show queen,that ended up in a couple hotrod mags in the early 80's,and also made a pile of track passes,so the rake was set up to get looks,and also work at the track. Car ran high 10's in the early 80's,which is slow now,but back then a street car running 10.70's was fast as hell,lol. Your old Duster would of done nothing but spin,with that stance,lol.
You mean like this ?

I've had the duster at the track once, but I kept outrunning my fuel supply
(My 1/8 speed was higher then my 1/4)

I think the jumper hose between the steel fuel line and the pump was collapsing, but I haven't been back since I fixed it

Cool camaro though

OP
OP
minotto

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't want to make changes just for the appearance but also to improve the driving quality and the Bilsteins didn't turn out to be great. The streets of my city are full of potholes and it feels like offroading!
I think that with the adjustable fox 2.5 it should change the ride for the better and with a 4" kit I won't be too tall and the truck should be very stable.

Now with my current configuration I have pitching problems that bother me a lot; My mechanic claims that a Ram is too heavy and needs shock absorbers with a wider and more resistant body.

I purchased the zone BL but I no longer mounted it because they made me think about how it could damage the chassis in the long term as it is something that comes between the chassis and the bodywork and therefore I left it still sealed in its package !

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thats funny, one of my buddies is an italian (scicilian, i believe) and he was jsut complaining about the roads where he grew
made it sound like whoever was in charge had a tendency of pocketing the money

looks like you got 20s on there?
18s would make a much better ride

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't want to make changes just for the appearance but also to improve the driving quality and the Bilsteins didn't turn out to be great. The streets of my city are full of potholes and it feels like offroading!
I think that with the adjustable fox 2.5 it should change the ride for the better and with a 4" kit I won't be too tall and the truck should be very stable.

Now with my current configuration I have pitching problems that bother me a lot; My mechanic claims that a Ram is too heavy and needs shock absorbers with a wider and more resistant body.

I purchased the zone BL but I no longer mounted it because they made me think about how it could damage the chassis in the long term as it is something that comes between the chassis and the bodywork and therefore I left it still sealed in its package !
Suspension lifts aren't really known to improve driving quality,lol. Maybe Quick Shifter will join in,and whatever he tells you,listen and do.

OP
OP
minotto

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thats funny, one of my buddies is an italian (scicilian, i believe) and he was jsut complaining about the roads where he grew
made it sound like whoever was in charge had a tendency of pocketing the money

looks like you got 20s on there?
18s would make a much better ride
Yes i have 20s :)

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck lifted PS.jpg

This is mine on stock tires and rims. Zone 6" with their UCA's. Front is 5", rear is 3". About 1" of rake.

Drives better then stock and looks great IMHO.

I was in the same boat you're in with lifts. I.E. brands, height, shocks, additional accessories. I have a multi page thread in here if you want to take a look at that. I don't know how to attach it though.

@Quick_Shifter did the install and answered my seemingly endless amount of questions and bought the package from @Nick@GotExhaust.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
OP
OP
minotto

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
View attachment 537989

This is mine on stock tires and rims. Zone 6" with their UCA's. Front is 5", rear is 3". About 1" of rake.

Drives better then stock and looks great IMHO.

I was in the same boat you're in with lifts. I.E. brands, height, shocks, additional accessories. I have a multi page thread in here if you want to take a look at that. I don't know how to attach it though.

@Quick_Shifter did the install and answered my seemingly endless amount of questions and bought the package from @Nick@GotExhaust.

Good luck with your search.
Yes, I remember reading your 3D about it, in fact I want to do the same configuration as you.
However, can I ask you why you purchased the 6" zone kit with 3" springs if the 4" zone kit is the same but costs a little less?
Between the 2 kits, only the front uprights change, which in the 6" kit are 5" strut spacer but you didn't use them having installed fox 2.5.
I can buy zone 4" kit with 3" rear spings , instead zone 6" kit ?

Am I doing something wrong ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357