Beating the dead horse...question about bil 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kept the OE UCAs on my truck for now. I didn't see a need to replace them until something begins to fail. There are a few options. When the time comes, I will likely go for the ones offered by Zone.

Suspension Parts-Control Arms-Dodge/Ram | Zone Offroad Products

Tuff Country has a set with uni-ball joints that look real nice. My concern with these is the polyurethane bushings might give a harsh ride.

Upper Control Arms | Tuff Country EZ-Ride

Thanks for your help, they came up to $142 on jet so I went ahead and ordered them I think is a really good price, even though ima wait to get the UCA to install them just cus I don't want to worry about anything down the road.

Now when people say they put spacers in the back they mean struts spacers?
That always throws me off, I know I might not need them but still want to know what they mean in case I do need them

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for your help, they came up to $142 on jet so I went ahead and ordered them I think is a really good price, even though ima wait to get the UCA to install them just cus I don't want to worry about anything down the road.

Now when people say they put spacers in the back they mean struts spacers?
That always throws me off, I know I might not need them but still want to know what they mean in case I do need them

No struts in the rear. It's a spring spacer, that sits on top (the spring). I don't think the OE rear shocks will support the spacer. You will need to replace the rear shocks at the same time. The Bilstein 5100 rear shocks will support a 1" lift.

lfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No struts in the rear. It's a spring spacer, that sits on top (the spring). I don't think the OE rear shocks will support the spacer. You will need to replace the rear shocks at the same time. The Bilstein 5100 rear shocks will support a 1" lift.

That was my second question, so ok a spacer in the spring but I saw u have the adjustable In the back too, so with those set at 1'' I don't need the spacers then?

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are two ways to lift the rear. Put a spacer on top the rear spring or replace the rear springs with taller ones. Either way the shocks should be replaced. The Bilsteins do not lift the rear.

Edit: There may be coilovers or air shocks available but these are usually not vary good solutions.

Last edited:

lfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so I will need this ones and a spacer then, but only if I need to raise the back?

Shocks

lfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well I guess I will go ahead and install them as soon as I get them and see if I need to raise the back or not, now if I don't need to raise the back will those bils work too?

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You don't need new shocks if you install a 1" spacer in the rear, the stock shocks work just fine. Been running that exact setup for a year now.

Bils set to 2.8" and no spacer in the rear can make the truck look nose high, as others have mentioned. The fender heights may measure level front to rear, they probably will, but the truck still looks nose high because of the way the body is shaped. If you don't want to put spacers in the back stick with 2.1. But the trucks definitely don't look as aggressive set that way.

OP
OP
I

ignitionorange

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ignition orange edition sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Went and talked to a few shops around and this is what I got from it they all can do it but to do it at the 2.8 they all highly recommend doing additional struts and other parts of suspension as they haven been known to fail and all parts adding to 1600 I told them that's bs I would lift it 6 inches for that haha but they said running them at 2.1 or 2.25 inch blocks have been just fine, almost same thing said from 3 different shops, may just go 2.1, I'm ordering from antham rims gonna run 20x10 -24 and run a 33.4 inch **** cepek fun country

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Those shops probably just google it and relay information from the first thread they come across. Bils at 2.8 and a rear spacer up to 1" is perfectly fine. Then do the install yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well I guess I will go ahead and install them as soon as I get them and see if I need to raise the back or not, now if I don't need to raise the back will those bils work too?
The bils for the back dont actually lift 1" they just allow for it as in they they are an inch longer, for 1" spacers they are not necessary but if you do any type of driving that will cause the suspension to fully extend often it would be wise

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
Engine
Is there a ride difference from the Bils being at 2.1 and 2.8? Has anyone actually tried it both settings and decided on one over the other?

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
Engine
Haha, I did. In 3 different ones I think. Is that wrong?

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is there a ride difference from the Bils being at 2.1 and 2.8? Has anyone actually tried it both settings and decided on one over the other?

Yes, there is a difference between each setting. 2.8 will give the max lift, then 2.1, then 1.4, and I believe 0.8 are the four settings on these. Yes, people have tried both settings. Mine will be set at 2.1 but I'm putting a lot more than just the Bil's.

Adam

Edit: I re-read your question about a "ride difference" between settings... I doubt it... But I don't have any experience to back it.

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haha, I did. In 3 different ones I think. Is that wrong?

I think one would have been just fine.. Anyways, I agree... I can't see there being a difference between settings. Maybe if you were doing extreme off road (jumping ****, going faster than you should, a lot of flexing) and somehow they over extended... If even possible. But riding down the road and normal stuff, no.

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you spend more time reading than posting, you will find old posts that say the 2.8" is not as plush as 2.1". I can't testify to that, I went with 2.1", and fit 35s and have a great ride.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^^. That was an excellent read and has encouraged me to grab a set of rear 5100 also. :)

Bertulis43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, any idea if they have to adjust my computer for my gears since I'll be putting bils on at 2.1 and running 275/65/20 basically 34" tires?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990