Bilstein notes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed the Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable front shocks on my 2011 15004WD QC last night. There were a couple things that I could not find when researching them so here are a couple notes that I made during the install. I set mine to the 1.4" lift setting, the middle ring.

The total assembled length of the Bilsteins was 3/8-1/2" longer than the originals. This is important because the longer length will allow the front suspension to droop further when unloaded. (One original assembly was almost 1/4" shorter than the other)

I didn't think to measure the assembled length of the coil spring before disassembly. I do know that once I disassembled the originals I did not have to compress the spring any further to reassemble it onto the Bilstein so the length was fairly close. If you choose a higher setting on the Bilstein this will change though. And if the coil springs are progressive, increasing the preload will raise the spring rate and ride harshness. If the coil springs are not progressive rate, then it wont make any difference.

The install was pretty straight forward. I am a mechanic so to me it was fairly easy. I did watch a video on U tube before I started. It was helpful, and it also listed out the tools needed for the job. Removing the assemblies from the truck was easy. The only difficulty I had was disassembling the shocks. The top nut and threads on the top of the shock were somewhat corroded. It took a bit of cussing to get them off. I don't have a lot of tools at home so it was a little difficult. Putting the assembly back in the truck was fairly easy also. I used bungy cords to keep the steering knuckle from falling outwards and stressing the CV boots or pulling the joint out. I bought the "OEM" brand spring compressor I found here on another thread. I'll post the part number after I get back out to the garage. I put a little grease on the threads and it works very well. Having used cheapo compressors before I was leary of how it would do on a truck spring but I was very impressed at how well it worked and easily it compressed and held the spring.

After assembling and running up and down the road about 2 miles the front is sitting right about 1 3/4" above stock. I'll give it a couple days to settle before I have it aligned and then I will re-measure and post the net height increase.

OP
OP
J

JonF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally getting back to this. I had the alignment done yesterday. I should have done it sooner because the toe was 3/4" in. That's a huge amount of toe in. The caster was fine and the camber was a little off on the left side. The right side was still in spec. However I bought the truck used a month or so ago so I don't know where the alignment was before the install. It looks like I've netted very close to 1 1/2". I now have 10" of clearance under the lower front bumper trim and also 10" under the front frame cross member. I'm very happy with the results. It looks good and I can definitely tell the difference when parked near a stock height truck. It also rides very nice with the Bilsteins. Supple on the smaller bumps and well controlled on the bigger ones.

The spring compressor I used is this one. I think I paid a little less when I bought it at the beginning of the month. its the "OEM 25550" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMDPLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1