CV Joints.....School Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StoneRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I am looking into lifts now and I keep reading about CV joint issues with different lifts and different levels. School me on the issues with the lifts and levels please. I don't want to have issues with CV joints or Ball joints when I lift my new Ram so I really need to understand why some have issues and some don't before I try to pick which lift I want.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A level is just either a preload spacer which compresses the spring increasing its spring rate thus creating lift, or a spacer that sits on top of the strut in between it and the mount or preload struts which do the same as the the preload spacer but uses a strut to compress/preload the spring. These push the CV axles and other components out of factory alignment, do this at to much of an angle itll cause premature wear on the boots, causing them to tear, leak the grease the keeps the CV happy and eventually will fail. Rule of levels dont go over 2.5" of level or you may run into issues..
Now a lift utilizes drop brackets for the front diff dropping it to keep the CV axles in factory alignment avoiding the binding issues.
Most people who level use the HBS 2.5" level, Bilstein 5100 struts, ProComp Prorunners which is what I have or the Rancho Quick lift.
Most of use an actual suspension lift get the Rough Country, BDS, Zone etc..

OP
OP
StoneRam

StoneRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I just purchase the Bilstein 5100's now and install them it should not change my angle enough to cause any harm? I would like to purchase those now and install them so i can go ahead and buy the new rims and tires in a month or so then early next year go with the 4 or 6 in lift.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It shouldn't cause any issues with your CV angles... SHOULDN'T (no guarantees)

I thought the newer trucks had upper ball joint issues to watch out for though...?

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I just purchase the Bilstein 5100's now and install them it should not change my angle enough to cause any harm? I would like to purchase those now and install them so i can go ahead and buy the new rims and tires in a month or so then early next year go with the 4 or 6 in lift.

That's my plan, Bils, tires, 4 - 6 inch lift. Bils and tires are done...

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Depends on how much you adjust the Bils... At 2.8 the highest setting it could cause some issues and vibrations. I have the PCs and netted 3" of front lift, more than people suggest. But I have no vibrations and my angles look good.

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
My hbs 2.5 has wreaked havoc on my front end. 3 cv half shafts and 3500 in front end parts. I can't get it off fast enough. Has the wobble/shimmy/vibration as well in 4wd.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
x2 on levelling kits destroying CV boots. Again, not universal as people have ran them and gotten trouble free years/miles out of them.

I installed my HBS 2.5" level in June 2014 and the CV boots ripped within a week. Got new ones. Ripped within 3 months. The dealer is replacing them under warranty (extended). Levelling kit has been removed. Miss the look but I'd rather have a strong front end.

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
Thank god for my extended warranty and my dude who runs the service dept or the hbs would have been in the scrap yard a long time ago

raptor1797

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the HBS 2.5 on my 2012 and have had zero issues.

red_line

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2" on mine without issues. No vibrations.