2016 4x4 Lower Ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Missouri2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've searched several threads to see if anyone has any long term feedback on which lower ball joints are holding up in their truck after replacement. Twenty different people, twenty different answers. Mopar only offers the entire lower at $450.00 each and i see mixed reviews on all including, Mevotech, Moog, Dorman. I'm kinda leaning towards Moog or AC Delco. With everything now being made in China, I guess its a roll of the dice.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to venture a guess and say that's just going to be the sad reality on that subject. Just about every manufacturer is outsourcing their builds to try and be price competitive. I've always used MOOG for suspension components (for 30+ years) and have not been burned by them. I know others have had different outcomes. Like you said, twenty different answers from twenty different people. People have a lot of varying opinions on Dorman as well. I've used a BUNCH of their parts over the years successfully, but I can remember one or two duds in the mix. They make a TON of OEM and aftermarket parts, so with those numbers, sometimes they are going to miss the mark. Good luck on your quest, as I know it's almost brain damaging to try and sort through the options to make the best investment.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess if I was doing it, I'd probably go with (in no particular order):

1 TRW ...because they are greasable and have a weep-hole in the boot. A small attention to detail I didn't see in many of the other ball joints. Unless you want to stick with non-greasable joints.

2) AC Delco (Gold). ...only b/c I've have good luck with AC Delco parts. Don't look greaseable. But are you going to actually grease them? Or let any old shop shoot their cheap brand of grease in them (different greases are non-compatible and can ruin joint).

3) Mevotech TTX. Also greasable (optional) with a boot weephole.

All available on RockAuto

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It really doesn’t make much difference, like you said they’re all made in China anyways. Your splitting hairs imo. Get whatever decent brand is cheapest off rockauto and call it a day.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just because they're all made in ***, doesn't mean some aren't better than others. Different metallurgy ...greater attention to detail, slightly stronger build. AC Delco and I would assume others spot test with a lab (that's what they claim), therefore they would end up going with a company (you would 'think') which has consistently good quality. And they probably use the same supplier for as many other similar parts as well ...to swing better 'deals'. Large companies like AC Delco can't afford to be constantly switching companies when a certain company's quality control becomes 'less-good'.

We used to do a lot of work for Borg Warner ...for many years. I've been all through their local automotive OEM parts production facilities and talked to the plant manager and foreman/s in many meetings over the years. Essentially the way the contracts to the auto manufacturers are written they (the buyers) are pretty much 100% in the driver's seat. The suppliers get docked for quality control issues. And since the margins for auto parts is so small and they can't really afford to lose a big customer, there's every incentive in the world to keep quality control as high as possible. That's how it 'should' work.

If you buy greasable ball joints, be sure you do the greasing and use the same grease all the time. Buy a case of the same stuff, and don't let any other shops EVER grease them. That's my policy. Or just go greaseless.

Is your truck lifted? Do you need offset ball joints?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Missouri2016

Missouri2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate all the feedback so far, and I think I', going to order (2) of the AC Delco Gold's and (2) of the Mevotech TTX. When I get them, I'll inspect all tolerances and make my decision on which one to use. I still have my Snap-On ball joint press from back in the day when I was an ASE tech. I've spent the last 35 years as a Journeyman Machinist, now Plant Superintendent. No, my truck is not lifted, bone stock. I do all my own work. The only time someone else touches it, is for tires. I've probably spent 20 hours in the last couple months reading posts and reviews as I am very picky. At 63, I'd rather spend $100 more on each joint just to do it ONE time. Had the last Ram(2003) 14 years.
Great truck.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love RockAuto, but in my experience they don't always make it the easiest to return parts b/c you don't like them, or changed your mind (or that's been my experience). And you might have to pay shipping. Unless it's changed.

OP
OP
Missouri2016

Missouri2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love RockAuto, but in my experience they don't always make it the easiest to return parts b/c you don't like them, or changed your mind (or that's been my experience). And you might have to pay shipping. Unless it's changed.
Got it, thanks.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ill be installing the Carli when the time comes. only because im lifted on 35" tires