Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 1500 crewcab ecodiesel Laramie with the stock 20" wheels. My front end is lifted 2.5" and my rear 1". What are the biggest tires I can fit on my truck. I have searched and read a lot and tire sizes confuse the crap out of me I just want a straight answer.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the info is in this thread my friend. Your set up can easily clear a 35x12.50x20 with the correct offset. If you're using the stock 20's you'll need a 1/4" wheel spacer up front to accommodate 12.50" tires.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
All the info is in this thread my friend. Your set up can easily clear a 35x12.50x20 with the correct offset. If you're using the stock 20's you'll need a 1/4" wheel spacer up front to accommodate 12.50" tires.

I got really jumbled up when I got into the tire size with my specific lift specs. Would it be wise to put spacers in the rear as well?

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Ok so after ordering 275/65 at tires, ive noticed that I am not satisfied.. with this in mind I put my stock wheels and tires up for salee with the hopes i could use the money to make the hit on getting some 35x12.5 less painful.. anyway
From what I can tell with my setup i should be ok.. but wanted your thoughts

leveled 2.1 upfront..

1.75 Bora spacer

20x9 wheels

i will be good with the 25x12.5 tire correct? do i need to watch the pattern i get? like not to aggressive ? ive noticed in some research that some have turning issues and those who went with a less aggressive pattern or went with an A/T tire did not

Tazzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around all this. I'm looking to replace my factory 17" wheels and tires with 315/70/17s. As far as I can figure out these are 7.5" wide with 25mm offset.
The tires will be General Grabber AT2s, so no agressive sidewalls. Should I go with either a 10" wide wheel with 20mm offset or a a 9" wheel with 10mm offset?

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Here's a question I can't find the answer to. The bilsteins on the Ecodiesel are only adjustable up to 2.3". In the initial post you claim to comfortably fit 35x12.5 tires you need either a 2.5" spacer or bilsteins at 2.8" and that a Bilstein set at 2.1" or a 2" spacer isn't enough to fit those. I'm stuck in the middle of those two figures and am about to purchase tires, should I be okay with 35x12.5r20's on my 2.3" front lifted Ecodiesel with a 1" wheel spacer?

Tmemz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What are you guys using for good coil spring compressors. Looking to do my fronts and not kill myself and also not break the bank on a set of spring compressors.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

J-A-G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
***Newbie Alert****
I bought a pre-owned Ram 1500 sport that the previous owner lowred 2 inches. I've put a Maxtrax 4 inch lift on the front to lift it back up 2 inches beyond stock. Now I'm looking for a rear suspension kit to raise the rear up to level the truck. But, I can't seem to find a suspension kit to raise the rear end back to stock height. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BSLugnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
***Newbie Alert****
I bought a pre-owned Ram 1500 sport that the previous owner lowred 2 inches. I've put a Maxtrax 4 inch lift on the front to lift it back up 2 inches beyond stock. Now I'm looking for a rear suspension kit to raise the rear up to level the truck. But, I can't seem to find a suspension kit to raise the rear end back to stock height. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Check to see if any of these kits and or manufactures could assist, being I didn't know the year of the truck.
Zone Offroad 4" Suspension System D20/D22
https://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=2&mo=16&ty=99&yr=2013-2017
https://www.readylift.com/dodge-sst-kits.html/
2009 - Current Dodge Ram 1500 Rear Coil-Springs - 1.5" lift - ICON Vehicle Dynamics
https://www.hellbentsteel.com/
Dodge Leveling Kits

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 w/6.4ft bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All.
Let me start by thanking you for this fantastically useful thread.

When we are discussing whether a tire/wheel/lift combo works without rubbing, are we only speaking of full left/right turn on flat ground, or are we talking full range of motion from suspension as well?

BSLugnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All.

When we are discussing whether a tire/wheel/lift combo works without rubbing, are we only speaking of full left/right turn on flat ground, or are we talking full range of motion from suspension as well?

For me, it full range of motion of suspension and steering while moving forward and backward.

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me, it full range of motion of suspension and steering while moving forward and backward.

Good! That is what is most useful to me, especially when I hit the dirt, but it seems like most people on this forum are more interested in street performance (not that there's anything wrong with that).

So is that what BrandonJensen and other experienced responders here have been basing their answers on as well?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All.

if your referring to articulation while offroading?....answer would be "NO" that's not taken into consideration for "what fits".

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if your referring to articulation while offroading?....answer would be "NO" that's not taken into consideration for "what fits".

Well, not referring to the articulation itself, but the ability for a tire/wheel/lift combo to articulate through its intended full range of motion without rubbing (as it does from factory)
It seems to me that "not rubbing" should include cranked all the way left or right while exiting a steep driveway (suspension/body running through its designed range of motion).

BSLugnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good! That is what is most useful to me, especially when I hit the dirt, but it seems like most people on this forum are more interested in street performance (not that there's anything wrong with that).

So is that what BrandonJensen and other experienced responders here have been basing their answers on as well?

Oliver, unfortunately I am not able to speak for them, so I do not know.

Also, when hitting the dirt, that has different meanings as well due to the ruggedness of the road, off-camber, drop-offs and the like.

For me, it can be a back country road or fire road here in VA or public land access road in WY. For this is what I need the room and flexibility for my truck.

I did purchase a set of 10mm spacers, but have had no need to install them as I have not yet experienced any rubbing at full-lock, forward or backwards.

My guess, is that I will need them, when I do go up in tire size next year.

Oliver_Closov

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oliver, unfortunately I am not able to speak for them, so I do not know.

Also, when hitting the dirt, that has different meanings as well due to the ruggedness of the road, off-camber, drop-offs and the like.

For me, it can be a back country road or fire road here in VA or public land access road in WY. For this is what I need the room and flexibility for my truck.

I did purchase a set of 10mm spacers, but have had no need to install them as I have not yet experienced any rubbing at full-lock, forward or backwards.

My guess, is that I will need them, when I do go up in tire size next year.

Thank you for your replies.
Yeah, I was hoping that would prompt a response from each/any of them.
"Hitting the dirt" absolutely means different things to different people, but your phrasing, "any rubbing at full-lock, forward or backwards" is exactly all I mean with that question. I think that no matter the situation, if tires do not rub at full lock with suspension fully compressed/expanded, it doesn't much matter if you're in a swamp or at Moab.
Thanks again for considering my questions. :favorites13:

D_G_E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is a lot of helpful information.

sledneck2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Help

I have a 2014 ram 1500 fwd I want to level out. the original kit i bought was 3inch in the front and 2 inch in the back, the guys at work talked me out of installing. Reasons being they said my wheels could rub ( I have 20's 275) and that it would be to much torque on the fwd, and need new shocks. Im trying to get some looks out of this and get possible bigger tires when i can afford them. I have a little budget to spend on this would like input on what to get so i can just slap the leveling kit on and not worry about most of these issues for as little money as possible. I can spare a few hundred.

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it safe to run bilsteins 5100s set at 2.8 in the front and spacers in rear? I already have uograded to mevotech UCAs. Gonna run 295/60/20 nitto ridge grapplers. Do you guys forsee issues with this setup? 2015 Crew Sport 1500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm pretty sure the first post actually answered, but I want to be sure before I spend money.

I have factory 20's. I'm buying a 35x12R20 tire. a 1/2 wheel spacer will be plenty? I don't want to stick out crazy far, but I don't want to have any rub. I'm going to buy Flares, so if I have to do another .25" or .5" to NOT rub, and still be tucked under the flares I'd be cool with that.

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just join the forum, and I am reading Page 15 so far on this post. Lots of great information, I will finish up reading this post tonight, hopefully as I am a slow reader.
With that said, I would like to jump the gun on writing this reply as I have done tons of research on leveling my 2011 RAM 1500 Crew Big Horn. In addition to this reply I will disclose the cost of the material I have found on the net which might benefit to those in a tight pinch. So here we go. My final goal is to have a Zone 6" lift in the near future. But Spending $5000 (install, wheel and tires included) is not an option for me right now, I am archiving it in stages. I need to know whats that largest wheel and tire combo I can fit for my first stage which I dont have to replace my tire and rim down the road to achieve my goal.

1st Stage: Leveling and focus on parts I can reuse for my 6" lift kit. (Bilstein 5100 front $204/pr Ebay, Set at 2.1" MevoTech UCA $100/pr @ RockAuto. Tire Rod End Links $20/pr Ebay (My factory sets are loose time to change them). I am not touching the rear atm because nothing is reusable for my rear when I install my 6" kit.

So with $320 spend I have money for wheels and tire. I doubt a pair of 20X12 -44 Fuse Mavericks will work now, but I know they will work with the 6" lift, If thats true, I will settle with 20X10 -24 @ $1000, I just picked up a set of used Nitto Terra Grappler 295/60R20 for $140 (craigs list). Will this combo fit me for the leveling phase? if not I will reconsider rims with lesser offset. -19 maybe??

I think this is the cheapest (or best) way to go, I just want to make sure they can fit before I order my rims as they are the most expensive part for this leveling build.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990