Lifted with Spohn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know the spohn control arms are popular for lowered rams but what about lifted? I searched and didn't see much. I saw a few things for 2wd but I'm 4wd, I know this doesn't really make a difference in a rear, just throwing that out there. Are there any advantages with these? Like alignment, etc. I'm having some vibrations in the rear but I'm swapping in 5" BDS coils and TLC bags soon. Just want to make sure they're an option.

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 3 Spohn bars in the rear, only cuz I had then when my old truck was lowers. The pan hard bar was adjusted a little to recenter the axle, but the control arms are pretty much the same as factory.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Adjustable lowers will let you recenter your axle in the wheel well front to back. Probably need to push it back a little if you are that high as the axle swings down and forward in an arc. Frame side drop brackets would help mitigate this.

Adjustable uppers will let you set pinion angle. If you lengthen these a little bit more than you lengthened the lowers you will tilt your diff back (clockwise if you are looking at the rear drivers tire). Just a little ought to help line up your pinion shaft with the drive shaft. This could be where you're vibration is coming from assuming you already checked all the usual suspects. Just don't go too far our your spring pads will start to face towards the back of the truck and your coils will bow.

Adjustable panhard/trackbar will let you recenter the axle left to right. If you are going to 5" in the back you either need a longer panhard drop bracket than you had in your 3" kit or an adjustable bar. Shouldn't be too bad but it will pull the axle to the side.

You may get a little more vibration in the back as you are losing the factory rubber bushing that helps absorb NVH better than the ball joints ends on the Spohn but they should let you flex a little easier/further so thats a trade off.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adjustable lowers will let you recenter your axle in the wheel well front to back. Probably need to push it back a little if you are that high as the axle swings down and forward in an arc. Frame side drop brackets would help mitigate this.

Adjustable uppers will let you set pinion angle. If you lengthen these a little bit more than you lengthened the lowers you will tilt your diff back (clockwise if you are looking at the rear drivers tire). Just a little ought to help line up your pinion shaft with the drive shaft. This could be where you're vibration is coming from assuming you already checked all the usual suspects. Just don't go too far our your spring pads will start to face towards the back of the truck and your coils will bow.

Adjustable panhard/trackbar will let you recenter the axle left to right. If you are going to 5" in the back you either need a longer panhard drop bracket than you had in your 3" kit or an adjustable bar. Shouldn't be too bad but it will pull the axle to the side.

You may get a little more vibration in the back as you are losing the factory rubber bushing that helps absorb NVH better than the ball joints ends on the Spohn but they should let you flex a little easier/further so thats a trade off.

Thank you! The BDS kit comes with holes in the trackbar bracket to be set at either 3" or 5". So I'll just adjust that and get the adjustable bar. Finding somewhere reputable to get a good alignment has been tough. Dealership can't do it (doesn't fit in their rack apparently) and lots of shops don't have the best track record so I'll have to do some research.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If your bracket already has the holes for the 5 inch kit you may not even need the adjustable panhard. I would swap the springs and the mounting location first. Then drive around the block and/or give everything a good shake and measure from the outside tread line of the tire to the truck body on each side to see if you area even off. If not you can save a couple of bucks.

When I had my JK I would get my tires road force balanced and I found this website for hunter machines. Normally you only road force balance large or difficult tires so you might have a better shot an finding an alignment shop that can fit your truck if they have the machine. Good luck and be sure to give us before and after pictures!

GSP9700 Locator

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l