Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tw11ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys, this is a question of what i need to do next to resolve this ongoing problem. my 2011 ram 1500 4.7l 4wd quad cab 6.5ft bed had some suspension work done around the middle of march and i have been fighting the problem since the suspension was redone. at around 65-75MPH the steering wheel shakes back and forth. it continues to drive straight while its shaking. i don't feel the truck shaking other than through the steering wheel. a water bottle does shake while its occurring, however i don't remember if that occurred before.

Mechanic suggested a steering stabilizer, however i have not found one that isn't lift kit specific.

Truck has been driven for roughly 5k miles since the suspension work, about 10k miles since the at3s were put on.

Wheels/Tires were just road force balanced today, but have been balanced and rotated multiple times throughout the months. the tires did not have this problem before all of the suspension work was done.(wheels/tires predated suspension work by about 8 months

Toyo Opencountry AT3 285/75/17 on Mayhem Wheels (8015-7952MB)
Hub Centric rings 87.1mmOD to 77.8mm ID

Front

New shocks (Rancho quickLift suspension in the front RS999930 AND RS999944)
Freedom Offroad Front Upper Control Arms (FO-D709FU)
Mopar factory Front Lower control arms(new, is what the shop doing the work recommended)
Mevotech sway bar link kit (MK80894)
Mopar factory sway bar (new, broke the old one apparently) and new bushings
Mevotech Wheel bearings & Hub (H515126)
Mevotech Supreme Outer Tie Rod Ends (MES80574)
New Rack & Pinion + Inner tie rods. Aligned

Rear
Rear Coils (TTC-1223VT)
Skyjacker M95 Performance Shock Absorber (M9553BS)

Any Assistance is appreciated. I just do not know where to start to try and resolve this problem.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang. Seems like everything has been replaced that would cause this shaking. I hope someone can think of some other reason. Good luck

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Put the truck on a lift or jack it up in your driveway. Spin the tires on the truck and check for any out of round or wobble in the tire, wheel, and hub assembly. You’re looking for what initiates the shaking.

Get a second opinion from another shop that has a good tech who will inspect each suspension and steering component for excessive play. Something loose probably enabled the shaking.

Just because you have a lot of new parts doesn’t mean one or more were not defective. There’s a lot of that these days. Especially aftermarket.

The mechanic sounds like a parts changer, not a trained technician. For one, he created a problem; issue 2 his suggested fix of adding a steering stabilizer. Those things don’t correct a steering shake, they just mask it.

OP
OP
T

tw11ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tldr. I found the cause of the shake. It's one of the wheels/tires. I threw the stock set of wheels/tires on and no problems all the way up to 90.

Most of the front suspension parts were me trying to get the truck level and fixing some things that were broken. The first mechanic(main mechanic) didn't really suggest a whole lot given I'd replaced most of the suspension myself(they did the work). their real suggestions out of the parts were the hub centric rings and road force balancing.

Rear suspension was all me a few days prior to the front suspension

I did venture to a second mechanic for an opinion and 2 mechanics at that shop took a look at the truck and found a leaking rack and pinion and some looseness in the inner tie rods. I was able to look with them with the truck on a rack and I did see the leak myself(low atf steering level as well). They also suggested a road force balance. At that point I did look to find a shop that did it in my area.

In my testing adventures past this after confirming the tires/wheels to be the problem is ran the aftermarket wheels/tires on the back of the truck rotating through the set to try and find out which one is confirmed causing the problem. With the stock tires on the front. I had zero shaking.

Threw the entire aftermarket set on in completely different locations and now only occured at 75 and what looked like less feedback... need to confirm this as I only did this part last night after dark.

I didn't see any noticable out of round when I was rolling the tires around my garage and truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I didn't see any noticable out of round when I was rolling the tires around my garage and truck.
Look for the depth of the tread changing, possibly along the edges. Just had a work vehicle tire do this, actually wore down to the steel belt in one spot but the rest of the tire looked ok
Also you would need to use a run out gauge to check the rims

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tldr. I found the cause of the shake. It's one of the wheels/tires. I threw the stock set of wheels/tires on and no problems all the way up to 90.

Most of the front suspension parts were me trying to get the truck level and fixing some things that were broken. The first mechanic(main mechanic) didn't really suggest a whole lot given I'd replaced most of the suspension myself(they did the work). their real suggestions out of the parts were the hub centric rings and road force balancing.

Rear suspension was all me a few days prior to the front suspension

I did venture to a second mechanic for an opinion and 2 mechanics at that shop took a look at the truck and found a leaking rack and pinion and some looseness in the inner tie rods. I was able to look with them with the truck on a rack and I did see the leak myself(low atf steering level as well). They also suggested a road force balance. At that point I did look to find a shop that did it in my area.

In my testing adventures past this after confirming the tires/wheels to be the problem is ran the aftermarket wheels/tires on the back of the truck rotating through the set to try and find out which one is confirmed causing the problem. With the stock tires on the front. I had zero shaking.

Threw the entire aftermarket set on in completely different locations and now only occured at 75 and what looked like less feedback... need to confirm this as I only did this part last night after dark.

Did you remove the adapter rings when you re-installed the stock wheels?

OP
OP
T

tw11ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look for the depth of the tread changing, possibly along the edges. Just had a work vehicle tire do this, actually wore down to the steel belt in one spot but the rest of the tire looked ok
Also you would need to use a run out gauge to check the rims
i will definitely need to look at this when i get a chance....

Did you remove the adapter rings when you re-installed the stock wheels?
i did, the stock wheels wont fit correctly with them in-place.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’d be leaning towards your hub centric rings.
I don’t think they’d be on the rim during balancing and you mentioned they road forced fine.
As was mentioned above , a steering stabilizer only masks the problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat