Lifting my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgat37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to owning an truck and to the forums this is my first post. I'm excited to start working on my ram. I want to lift it and get new tires and wheels. It's pretty expensive for to do it all at once so I was wondering if I should buy tires and wheels first and save a little more then buy my lift or if I should get the lift Then wheels and tires. If I get a lift can I run my stock wheels and tires? Any recommendations on wheels/tires/lifts that arnt to pricey but still give me that aggressive look? Any answers will help. Oh and my truck is a 2wd by the way. Not looking to get a bunch of jokes about why lift a 2wd truck just looking to get some answers. Thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG_3581.jpg
    IMG_3581.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 89

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
well you could run 35s or 37s on your stock wheels, but unless you are planning on going with 20" aftermarket wheels that is a waste. If you do use stock wheels make sure you get the proper spacers to get the right offset so they dont rub.

Idk what size lift you are going with but if its the 7" maxtrac the stock tires will look tiny.

If you buy the wheels/tires first theyll just be sitting around since they wont fit.

OP
OP
J

Jgat37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well you could run 35s or 37s on your stock wheels, but unless you are planning on going with 20" aftermarket wheels that is a waste. If you do use stock wheels make sure you get the proper spacers to get the right offset so they dont rub.

Idk what size lift you are going with but if its the 7" maxtrac the stock tires will look tiny.

If you buy the wheels/tires first theyll just be sitting around since they wont fit.

Yes I plan on keeping 20" wheels. But I'm not sure what lift I want yet. I was quoted on a 4 inch spindle lift up front and a 1.5 in the back with install for 1600 which doesn't sound too bad. If I do that could I keep my stock wheels and tires for now until I save more money for new wheels and tires?

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the lift yourself, trust me, it's not that hard and you'll save a TON of money.

Get the lift first, and save for the proper rims and tires. I kept my stock tires on with my 7" lift until I got the money for the 35's I got now. Couldn't go any bigger or I'd rub. If you go with just the 4", the stockers won't look that small.

And it don't matter what other's think about lifting a 2wd. It's your truck, they don't pay the note on it.

Before lift with aftermarket wheels and stock tires

IMG_20151129_111229204_HDR_zpscttk1wgb.jpg

7" lift with stock tires on aftermarket 20's

IMG_20160109_171910821_HDR_zpstvntwnyh.jpg

7" lift with 35's

IMG_20160409_073532_zps6fhkhr75.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jgat37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how long did it take you to install it yourself? And what lift do you have?

Hazmatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 crew cab express
Engine
where are you located? Maybe somebody would be willing to give you a hand installing the lift.

What's your experience level molding vehicles ? What kind of tools do you own etc?

OP
OP
J

Jgat37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Tucson Arizona and my experience with vehicles is pretty low. I plan on going to a shop on base where you can use a bunch of tools. If I can find someone who knows what they are doing I should be okay I hope

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how long did it take you to install it yourself? And what lift do you have?

Took me about 10 hours, but all that was doing everything myself with no one to help me. I have the Maxtrac 7" lift with an extra 1 1/5" rear block so my truck doesn't have the Cali lean. It's only 1/2" difference now instead of 2". Bearly noticeable unless I tell you.

whatTHEmilone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
What I did first was level the truck with Bilsteins. This allowed me to fit 35" tires. Then when I had enough money for the lift, I bought it and had it installed. It was nice because I didn't have to shell out all the money at once.