Lifting for off-roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimJam300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
2001 1500 4x4 bone stock. I want more ride height because my 265/70/17s rub at full lock and I want to graduate to 33" mud terrains and possibly have some better suspension travel and a softer ride off-road. My lovely wife gets absolutely thrown around the cab when going over the tiniest of rocks and hitting bump stops.

A 2" front spacer kit is like $50-100 plus the cost of some good shocks and sure that would clear the tires, a 3" lift would be even better, but I'm wondering if I would regret not getting something like a 5" lift with Fox shocks for $1100 and giving a lot more room for those 33s to move.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JimJam300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I'm using factory tire size and wheels from a 3rd gen 1500. No spacers.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forum member Quickshifter is very knowledgeable on Ram suspension/lift
I would recommend reaching out, he can point you in the right direction

OP
OP
J

JimJam300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
After some looking around I think I'm going to piece together a 3" lift and go from there with same size tires. I didn't realize I need long arms for 5" and this is already starting to get up there in price.

3" Skyjacker Soft Ride Coils
2" Skyjacker Helper Leaf
RI Fab 3rd gen Trac Bar conversion and whatever factory 3rd gen trac bar I can scrounge from a junkyard pickup plus a new bushing

Don't know about what brand shocks though.