Massive vibrations!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as most of you know, I recently installed a 3" body and 4.5" front lift spindles. Well I finally took a vacation and was driving on the highway, on speeds 60-70mph I developed a massive vibration that really scared me! It would last for 1min then stop for 15sec then continue again. It felt like it was underneath my seat, under the cab. Driveshaft? I got to town and noticed it would randomly do it through town too!

First thought was obviously tires need balanced. But then I figured if they were unbalanced that the vibration would continue, and not stop?

I had an alignment, balancing, and rotation done right after the installation, 3 weeks ago.

Today on the way to work, drove fine! lol

Taking it to the dealership after work,, I'm clueless!

Last edited:

CxLxC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Totally pulling this from left field, but could it have anything to do with the Pinion Nut recall? I mean, I don't even know to what years/models that applies, but that's one thing that comes to mind...

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Totally pulling this from left field, but could it have anything to do with the Pinion Nut recall? I mean, I don't even know to what years/models that applies, but that's one thing that comes to mind...

I thought that was just for 2009-2011, but Im not totally sure.

Just weird how it happened a couple weeks after the lift installtion, and weird how it only happens at random times?

CxLxC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yea, the intermittent part is throwing me off...

Keep us posted! NVH related problems can be a ***** to diagnose if its not a wheel/tire issue...

ramsport27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird thing is mine did this on my way to the Toronto a couple weeks ago. When I get up passed 100km/h (60mph) I would feel a vibration. And it wasn't really a subtle vibration but I also didn't think I was gonna die, lol. I recently got new tires and wheels installed and was my first time going much over 60mph. It was vibrate for a couple minutes then stop for a bit. Then do it again. So same as you it was vibrating more than it wasn't. I wonder if we have the same issue? I called my tire guy and he suggested I re-tighten all the lugs. Haven't gotten around to it but what you're describing is exactly how it was for me except mine only did it at higher speeds. Would having aggressive tires do this at higher speeds?

mossyoak03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check your driveshaft u joints. If you are 4x4 check your front one also. Make sure the bolts are tight at the axles and transfer case. Had it happen on a ranger of mine. It's not pretty when it finally gives out.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Balancing can come into effect at different speeds to. I've seen some tires balance beautiful and vibe at like 45 specifically.
I'd start at retorquing all the lugs the same ft lb. To rule out your front tires balancing. I'd swap your tires around and try to recreate it.

I've seen u joints cause vibes but it would be pronounced more with starting from a stop and speed up with revolutions of the driveline not at a magic speed on the highway.

Just my 0.02 granted its worth 32.00

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird thing is mine did this on my way to the Toronto a couple weeks ago. When I get up passed 100km/h (60mph) I would feel a vibration. And it wasn't really a subtle vibration but I also didn't think I was gonna die, lol. I recently got new tires and wheels installed and was my first time going much over 60mph. It was vibrate for a couple minutes then stop for a bit. Then do it again. So same as you it was vibrating more than it wasn't. I wonder if we have the same issue? I called my tire guy and he suggested I re-tighten all the lugs. Haven't gotten around to it but what you're describing is exactly how it was for me except mine only did it at higher speeds. Would having aggressive tires do this at higher speeds?

I think we do have the same issue. From my understanding from the dealership and Kauffman, that's its probably unbalanced tires. They both said the tires will ride fine until they reach certain speeds. For some its 45 and for others its 65.

He said its hard as hell to balance off road tires, and 1oz could make a difference at certain speeds. I always drive backroads, and never go over 60, so when I was driving 65-70 it felt like the truck was gonna fall apart. lol

I am hoping that it has nothing to do with the driveshaft, body lift, or my spindles!

They both were too busy to get anything done before they close, so I guess I will ride it out...

Does anyone use balancing beads still? or was that just a scam?

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Balancing can come into effect at different speeds to. I've seen some tires balance beautiful and vibe at like 45 specifically.
I'd start at retorquing all the lugs the same ft lb. To rule out your front tires balancing. I'd swap your tires around and try to recreate it.

I've seen u joints cause vibes but it would be pronounced more with starting from a stop and speed up with revolutions of the driveline not at a magic speed on the highway.

Just my 0.02 granted its worth 32.00

That's exactly was I've been told and what I found researching. Im gonna torque all the lugs, then take it in for balancing, rotation, and alignment.

Thanks bro

"Just my 0.02 granted its worth 32.00" haha classic

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Some road force balancing may be in order. Run the rim and tires that needed the least weight to balance as the fronts.
Good luck. I know the pains of getting the truck up there and causing issues.

bman12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
With bigger tires they are a real ***** to keep balanced, you raised the center of gravity with the added lift and this will cause different kinds of stress on the truck that were not noticeable before you raised it more , I use balance beads in my tires and they are the best thing I have done for a much better ride , perfectly balanced at any speed ......my 2 cents ..Tire Balancing Products.

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With bigger tires they are a real ***** to keep balanced, you raised the center of gravity with the added lift and this will cause different kinds of stress on the truck that were not noticeable before you raised it more , I use balance beads in my tires and they are the best thing I have done for a much better ride , perfectly balanced at any speed ......my 2 cents ..Tire Balancing Products.

From the instructions it seems like I just empty a whole bag in each tire? I guess I need to remove the other weights from the rims too?

bman12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes you would , Running them before there was no question for me when I purchased new tires, so I had them put in when they were installed. Apparently the Home ones have static cling and they stick to the walls when you stop or park , others drop down so when you start driving again, they re set themselves ,,,they do not have any sound so you cannot hear or feel them , it is used in all larger 4x4 tires from the tire shop I deal with and they swear by them

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like I'll get Kauffman to do a RFV balance tomorrow, I will see if that fixes it.

BULLRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hope you got it, the tires have to be almost perfect on mine it drives me crazy, after the lift they were still spot on.

WinterSoldier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tons of jeep guys use beads for balancing, so its not a scam. Ranging from a couple ounces to 8 ounces per tire if I remember correctly. I definitely would look into the type of bead as well as how much per tire size. The scams come frome companies trying to sell you beads specifically for balancing and then charge high prices. You can use regular airsoft beads.

**disclaimer: I have not used beads for balancing but know several who have and they worked great. You do hear a "swish" from them when you stop or start

CxLxC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Tons of jeep guys use beads for balancing, so its not a scam. Ranging from a couple ounces to 8 ounces per tire if I remember correctly. I definitely would look into the type of bead as well as how much per tire size. The scams come frome companies trying to sell you beads specifically for balancing and then charge high prices. You can use regular airsoft beads.

**disclaimer: I have not used beads for balancing but know several who have and they worked great. You do hear a "swish" from them when you stop or start

This.

I've heard of guys back in the day using golf balls. Definitely ghetto, but same effect.

Bwaterdt60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was this solved. I just put the Maxtrac lift on my truck and it's acting the same as you described. It happened with the same wheels and tires and now have new ones so it can't be those.

FISH ON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar off/on tire vibration. My tires were slightly out of balance so it would normaly vibrate at high speeds but then sometimes get worse and sometimes less during the same trip down the highway. Well, when my two front tires rotated with the out of balance condition in complete sync it would be real bad. As you go around turns in the road the sinc changes and so can the severness. This along with road conditions can make it baffling how a tire balance condition can come and go. This is only what I ran into one time and it was fixed by rebalancing. I couldnt believe that fixed it but it did.