Question for Bilstein users??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mycyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I plan on installing a set of bils on my 16' 1500 set at 2.8 in the front. What would be the best course of action for the rear? Another set of bils or just a rear spacer?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the matching 5100's for the rear and did all 4 at once..... some people just do the fronts. As far as the rear depends on what your starting measurements are, some people are level with nothing in the rear, some go with 3/4" or 1" spacer to raise the rear a tad so when they tow it's level. Do the front level and then see where you sit and go from there.

OP
OP
M

Mycyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've read through the Bilstein mega post, and it seemed that most needed the 1" in the rear to match the 2.8" up front. I understand every truck is different, but I would like to get it all done at once. Would the bils be a safer/better bet in the rear instead of the spacers?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read through the Bilstein mega post, and it seemed that most needed the 1" in the rear to match the 2.8" up front. I understand every truck is different, but I would like to get it all done at once. Would the bils be a safer/better bet in the rear instead of the spacers?

The Bilsteins in the rear don't raise the truck, they are just standard shocks that will allow up to a 1" rear spacer to be used.....

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the rake was the same on all of our trucks your decision would be easier but each one is just a little different. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's mine set @ 2.8 without any rear spacer.... thinking I'm gonna do a 3/4" rear spacer this spring, maybe.... can't decide???

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 68

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines at 2.8 on front, nothing on rear and its perfect.

mpittman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you need to raise the rear any, you will have to use a spacer. You can still use Bilsteins in the rear, but it won't give you any lift, you would still have to use a spacer. You can use the rear Bilsteins WITH the spacer if you want, you would just be using it to upgrade your shocks for a possibly better ride, but only the spacers will give you any rear lift.

OP
OP
M

Mycyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok I get it now, thanks guys!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Airbags will give you a bit of lift in the rear.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Park your truck on a level spot. Measure all four wheel wells, from the very middle of the top most portion, to the ground. Determine what your trucks current ride height actually is.

The design of the Ram pickup appears nose high, when completely level, due to the hood being so high. Also, when truly level, simply tossing a couple hundred pounds of weight will cause your truck to sag an inch or two. OEM SPrings are soft, hence the nice ride, but any wieght at all, truck sags.

with that in mind, look at your current ride height numbers and see what, if any, rake you will have, if front bilsteins are set to 2.8. Generally speaking, most Ram owners tend to want 3/4 to one inch of rake, just for appearances sake. When a 200#'s is in the truck, they sag actually levels the truck, but with the nose high appearing front end design . . . but most RAMs tend to be unloaded.

IF always under a load or box full of gear, then more rake might be preferable.

Regarding bilsteins front only... I am not a fan. I want the same shoes, on both of my feet and the same shocks all the way around. I want the truck to behave itself. I do not want one set of stiffer shocks, up front, one set of softer shock, rear, and the bounciness that will result from such.

Bilstein 5100 REAR have one extra inch of travel, vs OEM shock. They do not raise the truck, in and of themselves. They simply have one extra inch the shock can travel. This is what allows use to add , up to , a one inch rear spacer. Putting rear spacers on OEM shocks essentially removes one inch of travel from teh shock. Bilstein 5100 on the rear, with their extra inch of travel, insures the rear of your truck, will travel the designed distance, even with a one inch spacer.

BTW, if you do do the rears, while you are back there, may want to consider tuftruck rear springs. Many on this forum have doen this mod and love them. 1223V keeps OEM ride, pretty much the same. but allows for 50% more weight. 1211 allows for 50% more weight but has a constant linear rate of compression so are stiffer than the OEM springs or tuftruck 1223V (Variable rate) springs.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not necessarily as it depends on the manufacturer

At zero psi they'll provide zero lift.
If you have no load in the bed and start putting air in the bags, what will happen? Wont SOME start raising the bed of the truck?

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
At zero psi they'll provide zero lift.
If you have no load in the bed and start putting air in the bags, what will happen? Wont they all start raising the bed of the truck?
What type of airbags will not??

Bags do not work, that way. They are set, in their size, and tend to be very firm, durable rubber type compound, so "expansion", as would be required to achieve "Lift", is not a characteristic of the bag.

Essentially, air bags prevent the load from compressing the springs, as much as the springs would compress, when under the same load, without the bags. Advantage of an air bag system, vs a timbren type of bump stop system, is you still have the use of the springs, while under the load. Timbren type of bump stops system prevents the spring from compressing any further because the bump stop is riding on teh axle, thus reducing spring travel and providing a much harsher ride. think buckboard with no springs at all here.

Negative of bags is they leak, tear, blow, etc.

too, if not installed properly, air can pass from one side to the other, exaggerating sway / body roll, among other negative ride characteristics.

as with anything, pros and cons.

WIth al that said, yes, it is possible to overload the truck, compress the springs compeletely, then add air to air bags, say an air lift 500 system or total laod control, and watch your truck rise. The bags are not truly lifting the truck, in as much, they are reducing the amount of sag caused by the load. If under no load, the trucks ride height should be the same, even if the bags themselves had the saem amount of air. However, doing such, namely overloading suspension and maxing out air in teh bags, effectively removes the springs from the suspension equation and you are now enjoying a pleasant buckboard type ride , while severely overloaded.

Yes, the bags will give some suspension travel over bumps and such but not much since they are what is holding the truck from riding on the bump stops. instead of solid hard ribber, you have slightly softer air fileld bag. the amount of air in the bag is going to determine just how harsh or soft the ride would be, vs a bump stop on axle situation.

Last edited:

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find me a bag manufacturer that advertises air bag lifts for our truck.

I doubt any advertise any lift. But installed on some trucks, they will indeed lift the rear of the truck when inflated and no cargo in the bed.

Last edited:

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine needed a 1" spacer for the rear.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bags do not work, that way. They are set, in their size, and tend to be very firm, durable rubber type compound, so "expansion", as would be required to achieve "Lift", is not a characteristic of the bag.

Essentially, air bags prevent the load from compressing the springs, as much as the springs would compress, when under the same load, without the bags. Advantage of an air bag system, vs a timbren type of bump stop system, is you still have the use of the springs, while under the load. Timbren type of bump stops system prevents the spring from compressing any further because the bump stop is riding on teh axle, thus reducing spring travel and providing a much harsher ride. think buckboard with no springs at all here.

Negative of bags is they leak, tear, blow, etc.

too, if not installed properly, air can pass from one side to the other, exaggerating sway / body roll, among other negative ride characteristics.

WIth al that said, yes, it is possible to overload the truck, compress the springs compeletely, then add air to air bags, say an air lift 500 system or total laod control, and watch your truck rise. The bags are not truly lifting the truck, in as much, they are reducing the amount of sag caused by the load. If under no load, the trucks ride height should be the same, even if the bags themselves had the saem amount of air. However, doing such, namely overloading suspension and maxing out air in teh bags, effectively removes the springs from the suspension equation and you are now enjoying a pleasant buckboard type ride , while severely overloaded.

Yes, the bags will give some suspension travel over bumps and such but not much since they are what is holding the truck from riding on the bump stops. instead of solid hard ribber, you have slightly softer air fileld bag. the amount of air in the bag is going to determine just how harsh or soft the ride would be, vs a bump stop on axle situation.

----Airbags that I have used before, and now have one air line for each bag. That prevents air from transferring air back and forth between the two air bags.
----For the past 10 years I've owned vehicles with airbags, I have not experienced any leaks, blows, tears, etc with them. I am not saying it never happens, but mine haven't had any issues or required any sort of maintenance.

I do not think my Firestone RideRite airbags will lift the rear of the truck while they are inflated with no load in the bed. And that is due to them being the same length as the coil springs they are inside of.
My Silverado air bags were mounted on top of the leaf springs and bolted to the frame. They absolutely would lift the rear of the truck with no load in the bed. And it did not take much air pressure either. As little as 5psi would start to lift it. 30psi would provide over 1.5" of lift. But with no weight in the back, the ride was rough. I would always keep them at 10-15psi. That would lift the back about 1/2" and more importantly provide a equal ride to the stiffer coil springs I had installed in the front along with spindles to lift my truck.

I did not install the airbags in hopes of providing any lift in the rear. It was a added bonus i found out after install. I put them on because I had lifted the front of the truck and it sat about 1" higher than the back. And when I put a 100 gallon fuel tank in the bed of the truck my headlights were pointing to the moon and a speed bump would make me hit the rear bump stops. Airbags solved that problem. They provided a smooth ride, it sat level with the front and it was barely noticeable when I had 1,000lbs of weight in the bed of my truck. Except of course when braking, any accelerating, and even a tiny incline!

So yes, SOME airbags will safely lift the rear of your truck a small amount without doing any damage or providing you a horrible ride. Even though its not advertised that they will. What kind will?? I know that the Firestone RideRite for a 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 will not provide much, if any lift. BUT AirLift air bags for a 2003 Silverado 1500 will lift the rear when they are installed exactly as the directions say to.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright, what bags for our truck will provide a lift?

Airbags that when inflated will get longer than the space they're installed. Ones that are 10" inflated and put in a coil spring that is 10" under no load will not provide any lift. Ones that are inflated and grow to be 12" and installed in a space that is only 10" will.

Specifically what makes and models will provide lift for our truck? I do not know, I haven't put any effort or had any reason to find some. Until now that is!! I will do some searching and see if I come up with some!!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep 8-10 PSI in my Airlift 1000's when im not towing, and get close to 1/2 lift. It also provides better handling as well.