2013 Truck Bed Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This isn't quite finished. It got dark before I could clean everything up and actually mount the lighting. But here is my $40 solution to clean bed lighting that comes on with the cargo lamp. I used some RGB 5050 LEDs (50 LEDs per meter). It's a 5m roll. I then used an RF controller, with redundant controls on the box. I imagine the remote will become lost or damaged. It also has a power loss memory, which is perfect for this application. Every time power is cut and then turned back on, it will power back on in the same mode it was in when it lost power.

First I made a pass-through harness for the cargo lamp. This allows me to tap its signal without cutting the factory harness:

I wrapped the second connector in foam tape, so there wouldn't be any rattling.

I thought I would be able to power the LEDs from here, but this truck is too smart. It detected a load difference and turned off the cargo lamps right away. So, I just wired up a relay and made another pass-through harness under the driver's seat, where I pulled power going to the back seat cigarette lighter.

As you can see, I haven't mounted the lights in the bed of the truck yet. But they do work and they're pretty bright. I opted for the RGB 5050 lights, since they're about the same price. But I think it will stay on white 99% of the time.

2013 Ram RGB 5050 LED Bed Lights - YouTube

Last edited:

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That's a really cool idea! I have a bunch of 5050 rolls (I use them in my Christmas light shows). I may have to pre-wire for that when I have everything out for the cam and remote start install.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's definitely the same tear down you'll be doing for remote start.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Nice I have a roll of all white I was planning I setting up in my bed. Just have not had time. But the multi color is nice.
In my old 98 F150 I took some fog light and tupperware and had a nice setup. Worked great for camping.

DSCF5854+%2528Medium%2529.jpg

DSCF5853+%2528Medium%2529.jpg

Where are you running the wire between the cab and the bed? The setup in my F150 I had 10g wire fused under the hood, then split inside the tupperware with fuse block. The 10g wire ran on the frame rail then found its way through a rubber boot in the bed. One problem was there was a 1' section where the wire jumped from the frame rail to the bed, there was no where to mount it too. Driving in a snowstorm, one year, in 18" plus of snow, for 4.5hrs (should have only taken 3hrs) I stopped for gas and noticed my wire hanging. The snow load broke it. I did have it covered in that corrugated plastic tubing too.

I like the idea for the cargo light switch! Once you used the relay you had no problem tapping off the cargo light for power? Where did you get/ how did you make the pass-through harness? Any thought about just coming off the light switch in the dash?

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nice I have a roll of all white I was planning I setting up in my bed. Just have not had time. But the multi color is nice.
In my old 98 F150 I took some fog light and tupperware and had a nice setup. Worked great for camping.

Where are you running the wire between the cab and the bed? The setup in my F150 I had 10g wire fused under the hood, then split inside the tupperware with fuse block. The 10g wire ran on the frame rail then found its way through a rubber boot in the bed. One problem was there was a 1' section where the wire jumped from the frame rail to the bed, there was no where to mount it too. Driving in a snowstorm, one year, in 18" plus of snow, for 4.5hrs (should have only taken 3hrs) I stopped for gas and noticed my wire hanging. The snow load broke it. I did have it covered in that corrugated plastic tubing too.

I like the idea for the cargo light switch! Once you used the relay you had no problem tapping off the cargo light for power? Where did you get/ how did you make the pass-through harness? Any thought about just coming off the light switch in the dash?

The wife is driving my truck now. But I'll post the finished pictures when she gets back. The module is sitting under the back left seat. I need to fab a bracket for it, and get a relay harness. Right now, I'm just using 1/4" connectors, but I think a harness will look cleaner.

I ran the wire through the body plug under the left rear seat storage area. It runs along the factory wiring, which is above the frame rail and gas tank. So hopefully nothing will drag it down. The wire I ran was some left over 9 core wire. I only need 4 cores for the light, but I want to add a tailgate ajar switch to trigger it as well. Then I'll probably add a cut-off switch, so you can turn it off.

I made the pass-through harness with some connectors I had left over in my garage from another project. I don't think you can just tap off the switch, because that is a data signal and not a +12V line. I pretty much did this entire project with stuff I had sitting around. Except the LED controller. I spent time finding the perfect controller for my needs.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Looks great, I did white strips with a waterproof switch in the bed of my dads truck

I was looking at the RGB LEDs for another project though, do you have a link to what you used (sorry of its already been posted and I looked over it)

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Looks good! thanks for the updates, when I get around to mine I will post some pictures. It will be a few weeks a best.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's a really cool idea! I have a bunch of 5050 rolls (I use them in my Christmas light shows). I may have to pre-wire for that when I have everything out for the cam and remote start install.

Did you ever do this? Or install the camera?

VdubBry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wish! I need to make some time to get it done. I have all the parts etc just zero time. I did the complete audio overhaul and then that's it. Maybe this holiday weekend or a couple nights this week. I hope!

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another option other then split loom wire covering,if you're only running a couple single strands of wire,is to run it inside clear vinyl tubing.
I find it takes mud and snow better then the plastic split loom covering.
Only downside is fishing the wire into the tubing.
Another option is using an outdoor extension cord as your wire runs,and you can get them from 18G to 12G,so you can pretty well cover any load you'll want fed

Passt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great information. Thanks for including the links to the parts for the harness. For someone like me, I would have no idea where to begin to find those components... very helpful.

Passt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you add the pass through connection? I see the pictures, but I'm not very electrically savvy. It states you didn't have to cut the factory harness, would you mind explaining how you added your extra connection without cutting the harness? Thanks.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How did you add the pass through connection? I see the pictures, but I'm not very electrically savvy. It states you didn't have to cut the factory harness, would you mind explaining how you added your extra connection without cutting the harness? Thanks.

I used a matching male and female connector and in that connector the wires went straight through and to my relay.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Passt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply :) Where did you get the extra wire? It looks just like the stock harness, very clean install.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I was curious where you get your wire sleeve and connectors from as well

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was curious where you get your wire sleeve and connectors from as well

All of the connector links are in my post. The sleeving is called Techflex.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Subscribed for the part numbers