20" Tire recommendations I was given from a seller - thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Michelin Defender LTX
Michelin LTX A/T2
Continental Crosscontact LX20
General Grabber APT
Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza Plus
General Grabber HTS60

On my Chrysler 300 I ran Michelin Primacy's twice and Continentals. I really thought the Michelin was a solid tire with a great road grab.

Of the choices above Michelins are $40 more per tire than the rest. With my affinity for Michelin I am initially leaning towards the LTX AT2 as I was told would be slightly better on snow.

I do not offroad (or should I say haven't yet) and am looking for a solid all-weather tire that handles well. The Primacy's IMO were gold and I felt so comfortable with their ability in all weather conditions when I had the 300.

I really do not like the OEM Goodyears on my 2014 Ram 1500 which now has close to 37,000 miles on them. The tread hasn't hit the tread bar yet, but I think they handle fair to poor at best, and feel the OEM's are part of the reason I spin the rear tires when I really shouldn't since I'm not gunning from a stop to race.

I am looking for anyone who knows tires better than me (which should be most) and if any can give me their thoughts on the choices listed. Thank you in advance.

Tdjma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Michelin Defender LTX
Michelin LTX A/T2
Continental Crosscontact LX20
General Grabber APT
Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza Plus
General Grabber HTS60

On my Chrysler 300 I ran Michelin Primacy's twice and Continentals. I really thought the Michelin was a solid tire with a great road grab.

Of the choices above Michelins are $40 more per tire than the rest. With my affinity for Michelin I am initially leaning towards the LTX AT2 as I was told would be slightly better on snow.

I do not offroad (or should I say haven't yet) and am looking for a solid all-weather tire that handles well. The Primacy's IMO were gold and I felt so comfortable with their ability in all weather conditions when I had the 300.

I really do not like the OEM Goodyears on my 2014 Ram 1500 which now has close to 37,000 miles on them. The tread hasn't hit the tread bar yet, but I think they handle fair to poor at best, and feel the OEM's are part of the reason I spin the rear tires when I really shouldn't since I'm not gunning from a stop to race.

I am looking for anyone who knows tires better than me (which should be most) and if any can give me their thoughts on the choices listed. Thank you in advance.
The Michelin LTX at2 has been a great tire for me they do have a stiff sidewall but they seem to last forever

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had those Michelin LTX AT2 and as long as there was NO snow on the ground I was golden. Let something that resembled snow hit the ground and even with 4WD I was DUNN !!!!

Father Of Four

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently replaced the OEM Goodyears with General Grabbers HTS60's based on reviews they got for wet and snow traction. I have about 3k on them now and can tell you they are night and day better in the wet then the Goodyears. They are smooth and well behaved in all conditions. I haven't used them in snow yet but I'm betting they will do well.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at coopers?
I got the Cooper atp for 1100 for all 4 for my 20"s

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Those Defenders seem pretty nice to me. I am a Michelin/BFG/Uniroyal guy personally so I would normally go with one of those. They just wear so good. I have heard the M/S2 is really good but is pretty tame for a pickup for me.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cooper at3
Cooper atw
Falken wildpeak at3w

Best a/t tires for the money imo, and all good in snow.

Thunderbucket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had coopers, goodyears, Bridgestone, and when it came time for new tires my old truck and my wife's SUV got Michelin defenders. Wet, dry, snow, ice no problem... and I ice fish. A lot depends on how you drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I can't speak to the AT2 but I've run the LTX M/S on my wife's Prius for three years and my Ram Sport for about two. Excellent all around tire even in Michigan's winters.

Rides well, are wearing well, traction's excellent in water, ice and snow - For a street tire! Drive sensibly and they will get you where you are going in most all conditions.

If you compare street tires, you will usually find the m/s is top rated in most categories. The one thing I found interesting on mine are the small number of weights it took to balance them.

After about 20,000 miles and three rotations they ride smooth and straight at 80 MPH.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up getting the Michelin Defender LTX.

For one, as I suspected, the OEM Goodyears spinning from a stop especially in wet weather was all tire. 100x more grip with the Michelins, and they definitely feel to have better control on the road. They are a bit stiffer, but I'm wondering if that's just because I'm comparing the ride to the Goodyears, and need some break-in time. Yes Michelin's are expensive. But I like them, and early on and quite happy with my decision.

Now, waiting for snow to see if I take my positive feelings back.

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Ltx m/s !!!

I can't speak to the AT2 but I've run the LTX M/S on my wife's Prius for three years and my Ram Sport for about two. Excellent all around tire even in Michigan's winters.

Rides well, are wearing well, traction's excellent in water, ice and snow - For a street tire! Drive sensibly and they will get you where you are going in most all conditions.

If you compare street tires, you will usually find the m/s is top rated in most categories. The one thing I found interesting on mine are the small number of weights it took to balance them.

After about 20,000 miles and three rotations they ride smooth and straight at 80 MPH.

I had the Suckyears pulled from truck in December 2016, the day of our first snow in West Michigan and had the LTX M/S installed. Night and day difference. Best tire I've had in snow (I typically have road tires due to the number of miles I drive), EVER!!! Already have 35k on them and they look great. Bought them at RAM dealership when they had a buy 3 get 1 deal.