Aftermarket transmission pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey whats up, Im new to this site....My name is ,Preston

Does anyone know where I can find a aftermarket transmission pan for my 2002 dodge ram? is a 4.7L if that helps.

I am about to preform a service on it and was wanting to upgrade it to something better. Any advice helps! Thanks!!:)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just install one on my truck. Looks great, fit well and trans temps went down a little.
Jay

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
45RFE 545RFE 68RFE all use the same pan.
Just make sure it has the indention for the exhaust crossover.

I like these
Transmission Oil Pan 45RFE 5 45RFE 68RFE as Cast Aluminum Deep w Step Relief | eBay

Hey guys, thanks for all your recommendations...

This particular one that's on Ebay is for a 4WD, I have a 2WD. Don't laugh at me now...lol j/k but is there one similar to this one that's not 4WD and reasonable price? I mainly want to find something that has a "drain plug" I know this job is messy.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

This particular one that's on Ebay is for a 4WD, I have a 2WD. Don't laugh at me now...lol j/k but is there one similar to this one that's not 4WD and reasonable price? I mainly want to find something that has a "drain plug" I know this job is messy.

The one he posted is a PML pan sold by an eBay retailer. You would want the 10304 or 11039 PML pan if you have a 2wd. You can still use a 4wd pan, you just have to install the deeper 4wd pancake filter which is very easy to do since you have the pan off anyways. Pay attention to your exhaust though, if you need the cutout for the exhaust you have to use the 11078 or 11079 pan with the 4wd filter.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

There is a drain plug. It's on the side.
YourCovers.com Dodge 68RFE, 545RFE, 45RFE Transmission Pan, Deep, with Clearance for Exhaust and Frame Cross Members

The only difference is the 4WD uses a longer filter.

I actually use a dorman 4x4 pan on my 2WD truck with 4x4 filter. It also has a drain plug. It's a little deeper than the 2wd.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a drain plug. It's on the side.

YourCovers.com Dodge 68RFE, 545RFE, 45RFE Transmission Pan, Deep, with Clearance for Exhaust and Frame Cross Members

The only difference is the 4WD uses a longer filter.

I actually use a dorman 4x4 pan on my 2WD truck with 4x4 filter. It also has a drain plug. It's a little deeper than the 2wd.

Is the Dorman stamped steel? Factory replacement part? I just want the drain plug so a cheap alternative to these fancy pans would be perfect.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, steel replacement with a drain plug

Dorman Products - 265-817
I did notice a little cooler temps with this, but you have a 4x4 already so it might not make a difference.

I agree about these pricey pans. If it was a $100 cheaper I would be all over it, but $250+ is a lot for a tranny pan.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And besides the cost you can't even see it while driving down the road----but---I still like mine :):)
Jay

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

I did notice a little cooler temps with this, but you have a 4x4 already so it might not make a difference.

I agree about these pricey pans. If it was a $100 cheaper I would be all over it, but $250+ is a lot for a tranny pan.

That's exactly why I didn't buy one, I just went to Walmart and bought a kiddy pool for when I drop the pan for service. Made changing the fluid so easy. No need for the drain plug.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And safety goggles, rubber gloves, splash guard and a 12 pack---now I'm ready
LOL
You must be a lot neater than me--I guess I'm a slob I get that **** all over me, the truck and the driveway. I like the pool idea though.
Jay

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can certainly be a 'take a bath' kinda job,,, At least it would be in a 'bath tub' with the kiddy pool!!!

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
does anyone know of a heavy duty offroad pan?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's exactly why I didn't buy one, I just went to Walmart and bought a kiddy pool for when I drop the pan for service. Made changing the fluid so easy. No need for the drain plug.

Ohh yeah. It's a fun job. lol. But I've done it a few times one several different cars so I knew what I was expecting.

Good idea on the kiddy pool. Although getting out of the pool would be a job.

Why not add a drain plug to the existing pan?

This, or something similar:

http://www.amazon.com/80250-Automatic-Transmission-Universal-Drain/dp/B00029WR78

Not 'perfect', but should get ~most~ of the oil out,,,,

I installed one of those on my last car. Worked fine.

Was going to do that on the RAM if I couldn't find a alternative to the $300 pans. Then I find the dorman one.

OP
OP
preston75052

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Ok so, this pan will fit my 02 Ram 4.7L 2WD even though this particular pan is for a 4WD...?? If I can get cooler temps out of it that would be great too!:waytogo:

Next question: When I preform the job, am I suppose to reuse some of the old Trans oil? if so, how much including with how many quarts?

Thanks guys!

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Early 4th gens had an air cooled (outside the rad) trans cooler, does your 3rd Gen have one? If cooler temps are desired, it's not to big of a task to add a cooler to your truck if you don't have one already,,,

The 4th Gen 8 speeds use synthetic fluid and target 170 - 180 degrees min,,,

Do not re-use the oil,,, the chance of getting scud back in your transmission outweighs the cost of replacement/top off oil.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so, this pan will fit my 02 Ram 4.7L 2WD even though this particular pan is for a 4WD...?? If I can get cooler temps out of it that would be great too!:waytogo:

Next question: When I preform the job, am I suppose to reuse some of the old Trans oil? if so, how much including with how many quarts?

Thanks guys!

If you have the RFE trans I think it should work.

And no don't re-use the fluid. Just drain it and fill it with fluid.
I used about 7 to 8 quarts could be different for your truck.
Just start with 5 quarts and go from there.