Transmission pan leak??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E Caron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe my pan has started leaking. 2019 5.7 4wd Classic with 67k miles. I luckily it's not my daily driver any more. Last night I degreased the wet areas around the pan. I plan on taking it for a drive when I get home to confirm my suspicion. I've already started researching pans and the process of drain, fill, ppe pans...etc.

I came across this. Has anyone used this kit? Any feedback on it?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I believe my pan has started leaking. 2019 5.7 4wd Classic with 67k miles. I luckily it's not my daily driver any more. Last night I degreased the wet areas around the pan. I plan on taking it for a drive when I get home to confirm my suspicion. I've already started researching pans and the process of drain, fill, ppe pans...etc.

I came across this. Has anyone used this kit? Any feedback on it?

Redline and Amzoil don't have the greatest of reps in the 8 speed.Either OEM fluid or Valvolene Maxlife seem to be better fluids.Apparently Audi's version of the OEM fluid is cheaper then Chryslers version,and is the same fluid.That's a good bargain,but it's your call on whether you want run the Redline fluid,some guys have okay luck with Redline,other guys not so much.It seems to have a better rep in the light duty 845 that's behind the 3.6's,then it does in the 8HP70's behind the 4th Gen 5.7's,and 8HP75's in the 5th Gen trucks

OP
OP
E Caron

E Caron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Solid advice, thanks for the reply.

I don't like having to make repairs like this twice. I'm more of a do it right the first time kind of guy.

OP
OP
E Caron

E Caron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picked up my oem gasket today. Should of ordered through mopar, dealership got me for $43. 7 quarts of mopar zf 8-9 speed and bottle pump came in yesterday. PPE pan comes in on Wednesday

OP
OP
E Caron

E Caron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram does not sell the stud collars separately. Do the stud collars come out of the oem pan? And reusable for a PPE pan?

OP
OP
E Caron

E Caron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Done... Just need to get a 1/4 inch torque wrench to get down to 8-10 lbs. I set my 3/8 down to 20 and it was to much. 3 bolts must be over torqued cause they are weeping just a little. To drain the oem pain and keep some of the fluid from making as much of a mess, I used a step drill bet and drilled into the plastic pan it worked good. Pressing in the collars was annoying. Leveling the transmission was a pain, unbolting the transmission mount to lift the transmission to get the PPE pan in worked better using the factory jack. Factory jack fit really well on the flange.

Attachments

• IMG_20231119_104624.jpg
    IMG_20231119_104624.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My new pan must have come with new collars installed. Interesting yours didnt. Also curious why you drilled out the pan vs just using the drain plug?

OP
OP
E Caron

E Caron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the hemi with the crossover that runs under the pan blocking the drain plug. I drilled the hole to control the mess.

I put a PPE pan back on, they don't come with the stud collars. Have to reuse the factory collars.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My new pan must have come with new collars installed. Interesting yours didnt. Also curious why you drilled out the pan vs just using the drain plug?
Somewhere along the line, Mopar in their infinite wisdom, decided drain plugs didn't need to be a thing any longer. I bought a replacement Mopar pan/filter setup and the new revision being stocked no longer has a drain plug.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Redline and Amzoil don't have the greatest of reps in the 8 speed.Either OEM fluid or Valvolene Maxlife seem to be better fluids.Apparently Audi's version of the OEM fluid is cheaper then Chryslers version,and is the same fluid.That's a good bargain,but it's your call on whether you want run the Redline fluid,some guys have okay luck with Redline,other guys not so much.It seems to have a better rep in the light duty 845 that's behind the 3.6's,then it does in the 8HP70's behind the 4th Gen 5.7's,and 8HP75's in the 5th Gen trucks
I concur on the MaxLife. That's what I'm running in mine. That's what I've run in quite a few vehicles in lieu of buying into various OEM fluid scare tactics to buy their re-bottled marked way the hell up fluids. As long as Valvoline confirms they meet "Spec X" on whatever I'm working on, I roll with them. They've been doing this a LONG time.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the hemi with the crossover that runs under the pan blocking the drain plug. I drilled the hole to control the mess.

I put a PPE pan back on, they don't come with the stud collars. Have to reuse the factory collars.
I missed you were using a PPE pan, that makes sense on the collars. The drain plug drains right onto the flat spot on the exhaust and just runs to whichever end the exhaust slopes toward. Really not terrible, though of course would be better to be in a different spot.

Artschool3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Done... Just need to get a 1/4 inch torque wrench to get down to 8-10 lbs. I set my 3/8 down to 20 and it was to much. 3 bolts must be over torqued cause they are weeping just a little. To drain the oem pain and keep some of the fluid from making as much of a mess, I used a step drill bet and drilled into the plastic pan it worked good. Pressing in the collars was annoying. Leveling the transmission was a pain, unbolting the transmission mount to lift the transmission to get the PPE pan in worked better using the factory jack. Factory jack fit really well on the flange.
If you remember, how did you jack up the rear of the transmission using the factory jack? I can’t get pass this step and running out of ideas

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you remember, how did you jack up the rear of the transmission using the factory jack? I can’t get pass this step and running out of ideas
I just stuck a jack under the rear diff and lifted as high as it would go. I didn't quite make it to level but it was close enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357