Clunk in front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 4wd sport. Stock front suspension. 53k miles. Factory shocks. I have a clunk in the front end that isn't terrible but I definitely notice it over bumps especially at slow speeds or on bumpy roads. You can almost feel it in the pedals. I've checked everything in the front and everything is tight. Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings etc. Replaced the sway bar end links. No change.

Any ideas? Thinking maybe it's time for new shocks?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Loose engine/tranny mount?

I just replaced a $20 trans mount on my girlfriends lexus. Was causing 3 different problems, and some loud chunks while driving over bumps.

Changed it out, and it all went away.

H8Train

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing, 14 Express. Checked everything up front and nothing looked out of the ordinary but I'm not a mechanic. Have been putting off taking it to get looked at for a while now.

OP
OP
VB712

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything seems tight. Took a wrench to every bolt in the front end. You can feel it in the steering wheel.

OP
OP
VB712

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shocks or intermediate steering shaft?

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
I have a 2015 ram 1500 sport crew cab. It only has 10000kms on it. Hasn't been driven much, but I also experience the similar rattles or feeling of looseness or sounds you might call it. everyone might call it differently. I dont recall feeling/hearing these sounds/rattles from the front end when it was brand new... Some people say I am too picky and notice too much. I feel like I am under the truck more than I am inside it.

I have checked everything for looseness, etc. I have applied some automotive foam/felt tape for the fender liners in places where it rattles touching other plastic parts. Replaced plastic rivets holding the plastic cover underneath the front end. it was missing one and was also rattling. However didn't change the feeling I am getting going in and out of the drive way for example. You feel it when you go slow and over small stuff. Also feel a very slight play in the steering. if you do it fast enough this one actually does make a sound. but you would never move the steering wheel that fast normally... if the ignition is off and i kinda wiggle the steering wheel there is a sound and very slight play for sure. I also dont remember it being like this when it was new. I didn't drive the truck much and hasn't been to any mechanic ever... except for the side rails install and oil change 3 times... and tire rotation.

So I am not sure if its from the shocks... Unless they go bad because they haven't been used much in 3 years? I was starting to convince myself that it is just normal for it to be this way, maybe its just the way its built? Then I read this forum and now I am wondering again. It's a mystery to be solved for me still. I am interested to find out if it resolves the issue if you do decide to replace your shocks please post it here.

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Could possibly be the sway bar links. My father and I kill those things pretty quick, but since I've changed to the suspensionmaxx links they seem to be holding up. He tried some mevotech links on his 2500, but killed those pretty quick too and is now using moogs. When they're shot you get some clanking from the front end over one sided bumps (i.e. driverside bump but smooth road on passengerside) or uneven gravel/county roads.

https://www.suspensionmaxx.com/store/product/SMX-1300L <-- What I have up front. No ball joints to kill and rides only on the bushings.