Condensation in oem headlights fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soooooo, I was getting the annoying light condensation in my oem projector headlight housings down by the led turn signals. I was getting it every day I drove with my headlights on in a cool/cold day. Once I shut them off, the condensation would slowly disappear in about 20-30 minutes. Like I said, it was really annoying me so I took the advice from this, and other forums, in a last ditch effort to see if I could remove it and it seems to have worked.

I took the headlight housing out and brought them in the house to warm up in a dry environment. I had a big tube of black silicone sealant laying around so I completely sealed all around the headlights where the clear lens meets the black housing. I’m wicked picky, so I made it look like it came from the factory that way….very clean. Next, I took the dust cap off and heated the inside with a hairdryer for like 30 minutes total. Lastly, I put a silica gel desiccant packet inside each housing just underneath the high beam bulb. Even though I already did this prior, I readjusted the vent caps as far out as possible on each housing.

So, today was the 1st day I drove the truck after doing the above. I drive about an hour and it was 25F this morning. I would had normally definitely had the condensation there by the time I got to work, but today there wasn’t any at all. I’m very happy about that. If I were to guess which one of the four that probably did most of the work, I would have to say the hairdryer. If the condensation comes back at any time in the near future, I will come back here and let you all know. :favorites13:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Glad to hear it! I think my lense is letting it in. The dust cap is sealed with black silicone so it can't be getting in there. The dealer dried it out overnight on a vent and then sealed the back up. (I had cut a hole in the back for my HID'S. Dealer sealed this hole) they're still fogged up as bad as ever though! The vents are good, so I'm taking it back Thursday and they're checking the front lense for leaks

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good job man!

Last week, I had horrible condensation and actual water dripping around in one of my lights.

I pulled the HL, propped a hairdryer up to it and let the hairdryer run. Went and ate a sandwich, came back and it was dry as bone.

Located potential causes/leaks sealed them with black silicone and DONE. :favorites13:

Attachments

• IMG_20141205_125413.jpg
    IMG_20141205_125413.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 407

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ i might have to try that with these aftermarket headlights i got. Drivers side gets horrible condensation. Now how do i go buy a hair dryer when i shave my head bald? Lol

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I get the condensation in my projector headlights as well. Something about the LEDs don't create enough heat and it fogs up. When I put my HIDs in I pulled the vents out as we all know helps. This was before and I notice I get the condensation now as the weather has gotten pretty cold now.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get the condensation in my projector headlights as well. Something about the LEDs don't create enough heat and it fogs up. When I put my HIDs in I pulled the vents out as we all know helps. This was before and I notice I get the condensation now as the weather has gotten pretty cold now.

Yup....just like me. What I did fixed it. I'm on the 3rd day now without any condensation at all, where I would had definitely had before.

ROSW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You can get a plastic jar of it (not packets) cheap at HobbyLobby. It is sold as Flower Drying Crystals.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get a plastic jar of it (not packets) cheap at HobbyLobby. It is sold as Flower Drying Crystals.

Yup....that's exactly where I got mine. I used those little wedding favorites bags, you put those mint candies in, for the silica gel desiccant to go in to.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it just me, or is it ridiculous that we have to do this on brand new trucks?

Very much ridiculous.

The fact that Chrysler just says to live with it as it is "normal", but yet I'm able to fix it is more ridiculous.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Its not just us guys.........

The new GMCs, same. Lack of heat from the LEDs.....its a *****!

Loaded

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Is this a mistake or did dodge do this for a reason? Maybe the bulbs need fresh air to work properly? Maybe they need to breathe?

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a few breathers on the back of each head light assembly. Make sure they're all venting properly.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not just us guys.........

The new GMCs, same. Lack of heat from the LEDs.....its a *****!

Yeah, I understand the lack of heat from the LED lights, but I was able to permanently fix it. It should just come from the factory that way...."fixed".

There are a few breathers on the back of each head light assembly. Make sure they're all venting properly.

I had all of my vents as far open as possible and it did not make a difference. But that was just with me. I think some guys had it work for them.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little update...unfortunately, we had an all-day moderate rain and temps in the 50s the other week and my driver's side headlight fogged up. This is the 1st time in almost a year that I had the condensation (aka fogging) in the projector headlights. So I redid the process.....took the headlights out, opened the dust caps and blasted the inside with a hairdryer for about 10 minutes. I took out the old used silica gel desiccant packs I made and put in new desiccant. This time I added an additional pack in each headlight. Hopefully this will last longer than a year. Soooo annoying.

I think this will be my 1st and last RAM....waaaaaay too many quality issues.

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Add me to the list ... my drivers side headlight has fogged up today.

Has anyone had any luck with getting the dealer to "replace" the headlight assembly? I've never owned a vehicle that had factory headlamps that fogged up!

Funny too, in the owners manual, this is actually mentioned on page 745.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Add me to the list ... my drivers side headlight has fogged up today.

Has anyone had any luck with getting the dealer to "replace" the headlight assembly? I've never owned a vehicle that had factory headlamps that fogged up!

Funny too, in the owners manual, this is actually mentioned on page 745.

A year ago I did a lot of research on this and read some where people did get the dealer to replace them under warranty. Some of those replaced ones then fogged up too...lol. Crap design.

bri6679

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've had my car for less than 12 hours and already condensation in the headlights

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk