Decided to go in a different direction..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
After really looking into the Zeibart undercoating, and finding out I was about to grossly over pay for it..
I decided to get the truck protected with rust proofing oil which is sprayed on, and inside of doors, rockers, tailgate etc.
I'm not sure of the product they use, but it wasn't the kind of oil that will drip all over your driveway. It was very thick, and molasses like. It smelled like a cross between bubble gum and cherries. And when the over spray burned off the few spots on the exhaust it got on, it also smelled the same.
When I got home, I put it on the lift, and checked out the job they did.
I was VERY impressed! I could immediately tell they had dropped the wheel liners, and done the inside of all the body panels. I pulled the grommets out of the doors, and saw they had done what they said they would. Stuck my fingers in the holes in the rockers and sure enough, done. The entire bottom of the bed, EVERYTHING. And they did such a neat job. The product used says to get it reapplied every 2 years. The cost for the process was 150$. At that price, I'll be taking it to them every fall.
All this being said, have any of you had the same, or a similar process done? What are your thoughts?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sadly I cannot find anyone in this state that does rustproofing, doesn't make sense to me as our winters are pretty harsh and they use lots of chemicals on the roads. Closet I found so far was in Canada 750 miles away...lol

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sadly I cannot find anyone in this state that does rustproofing

That's because it's so DRY out there all year long and you don't need it very much. Plus, they don't encrust the roads with salt like they do around here! A lot of times they go out and salt the roads around here in a knee-jerk reaction to the 'threat' of moisture and sometimes b'cause the drivers want to get in overtime.

Most of the rusting I've seen in the high plains is due to mud and dirt accumulating inside the rear fenders and rockers. I've seen it where there was 2" thick of dust/dirt above the wheel wells (the area right above the wheel arch). If you get in there with a strong water spray each spring and fall and knock that out, wash them well, you won't have anything to worry about. I've bought many vehicles from your area and cut open and re-did wheel wells/rockers/cab corners so I know what I'm talking about. All it takes is a couple small rocks from a gravel road to get flipped up there and it creates a dam where dust, mud and dirt will hang up. Besides a good water spray, a long coat hanger with a little hook at the end to slide back/fourth along the inner wheel well can dislodge any rocks and build-up ..and the water can carry away. And it's not just body panels. I would inspect all drainage locations at the spring perches and cab/box supports. Rocks will get in them and block your drain holes and they will begin to fill up with dirt. Years of exposure to blowing dust accumulates at the bottom of frames. Not a problem being so dry, but it doesn't help any. It kills us around here. You might want to check out and drill drain holes into your fuel tank supports which in your case will probably load up with dirt and corrode. Besides that, you can do virtually the same thing by putting a few squirts of oil in your door and tailgate bottoms and cab corners. Just need a $5 oil can.

That doesn't happen around here unless a guys is off-roading. I don't even know where I'd go to find a gravel road around here. We just don't have any that I'm aware of other than farmer's driveways. But we have salt,slush and a week or two of really humid, foggy, spring weather that likes to rust stuff up quite well!

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After really looking into the Zeibart undercoating, and finding out I was about to grossly over pay for it..
I decided to get the truck protected with rust proofing oil which is sprayed on, and inside of doors, rockers, tailgate etc.
I'm not sure of the product they use, but it wasn't the kind of oil that will drip all over your driveway. It was very thick, and molasses like. It smelled like a cross between bubble gum and cherries. And when the over spray burned off the few spots on the exhaust it got on, it also smelled the same.
When I got home, I put it on the lift, and checked out the job they did.
I was VERY impressed! I could immediately tell they had dropped the wheel liners, and done the inside of all the body panels. I pulled the grommets out of the doors, and saw they had done what they said they would. Stuck my fingers in the holes in the rockers and sure enough, done. The entire bottom of the bed, EVERYTHING. And they did such a neat job. The product used says to get it reapplied every 2 years. The cost for the process was 150$. At that price, I'll be taking it to them every fall.
All this being said, have any of you had the same, or a similar process done? What are your thoughts?

Sounds great. Who did it ? Would like to see if I could get this done here in Jersey.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Sounds great. Who did it ? Would like to see if I could get this done here in Jersey.
I had it done at a place called Schultz auto, in Hamburg NY. If you Google them, you could call and find out the product they use. Now that it's been a few days, it's skinned over nicely. I can see how it keeps the road salt and other crap sealed out. It's some nice stuff!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish there was a shop near me that did oil undercoating. I ended up having to Fluid Film my truck myself or drive 7 hours to the closest shop that does it

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's because it's so DRY out there all year long and you don't need it very much. Plus, they don't encrust the roads with salt like they do around here!

Hmmm, our winter is not dry, pretty long and harsh and yes they do brine the roads on a regular basis here. They put crap down before a storm and during.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in Michigan and they've already put salt down... I go through the auto wash that has the under body spray dozens of times a winter to try to keep the rust down. So far so good on the 2014. I'd like to get the under body film done but am a little concerned the under body spray might wash it away after repeated use? How durable is this stuff?

Also I don't see it advertised in my area if anyone from mid michigan knows of a good place to get it done.
Thanks