Excessive water in body mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
I have a clicking over medium bumps from the left front corner that is consistent with a loose body mount. I read where people loosened the body mount bolt and water poured out, but was still a little surprised when it happened to me. Several ounces of mostly clear but metallic smelling water poured over my hand. The truck is a 2016 1500 with 12,500 miles on it. I have not seen in any of the other posts about this problem (water) a cause or solution for it. I was hoping to keep this truck for ten years and this design flaw does not fill me with confidence, especially with the salt slurry on the roads in the winter here. Any links to an explanation for this would be appreciated.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed for the info.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
Which body mount was it.

Driver side front (behind the bumper). I then removed the one beneath the leading edge of the driver door and it was slightly wet around the shank of the bolt with rust forming on the bolt. The last time I drove it in the rain was 12 days ago and it was light rain.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had water in mine when I bought my 2014 a year ago. I've developed a rattle over bumps. Sounds like it's from the interior but very well could be the body mount. I should probably check mine again.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still trying to understand where exactly you're talking about. I have a Rebel, so obviously my front bumper is different. I've been seeing a number of posts and pics about the rocker panels and front fender rusting on the 4th Gens. Making me a little disappointed as I wanted to keep this truck for a while. I've had other trucks and cars last me 8-10 yrs without any rust here in the rust belt.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was the same. I put new Nasta fully stainless steel Running Boards on last fall and the brackets mount to the cab mount right behind the front wheels. I unbolted the cab mount bolt and got a small bath in rusty water. I meant to crawl under there and unbolt the remaining 7 but I completely forgot until I saw this thread...

OP
OP
S

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
I have a clicking over medium bumps from the left front corner that is consistent with a loose body mount. I read where people loosened the body mount bolt and water poured out, but was still a little surprised when it happened to me. Several ounces of mostly clear but metallic smelling water poured over my hand. The truck is a 2016 1500 with 12,500 miles on it. I have not seen in any of the other posts about this problem (water) a cause or solution for it. I was hoping to keep this truck for ten years and this design flaw does not fill me with confidence, especially with the salt slurry on the roads in the winter here. Any links to an explanation for this would be appreciated.

Update: I drove the truck today and the click over bumps is gone. Removing the bolt, applying new blue loctite, and torquing it to 90 ft/lbs (spec is 80 ft/lbs) solved it. The water issue is unresolved, however. It's raining right now and I don't want to drive it without knowing if there is a solution to this. I know other people have experienced this and I assume most people are smarter and more motivated than I am. Someone out of a few hundred thousand fourth gen ram owners must know something.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like to know how that much water is getting into the mounts. It looks pretty sealed...

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I did my body lift I had water pour out of the bolt holes.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would one of you mind taking a pic, and posting it, of the bolts you're talking about?

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pictures!

Can you not drill a drain hole into the mount? Fill it full of grease?

OP
OP
S

sammon287

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 8sp
I'm not sure how to post a picture on this forum, but if you look under the truck, the cab (body) mounts are very obvious. There are eight under a crew cab where the cab is attached to the frame through a rubber cushion. Two are easily visible underneath the front door. The one I removed with all the water is visible by looking up behind the front bumper outside the frame rail. Apparently, all of them are prone to retaining water. I also pulled the one under the leading edge of the front door and it was wet, but nothing like the one behind the bumper. I have waterproofed things with grease before, but the need to apply thread lock compound to the body bolts precludes the use of grease there.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure how to post a picture on this forum, but if you look under the truck, the cab (body) mounts are very obvious. There are eight under a crew cab where the cab is attached to the frame through a rubber cushion. Two are easily visible underneath the front door. The one I removed with all the water is visible by looking up behind the front bumper outside the frame rail. Apparently, all of them are prone to retaining water. I also pulled the one under the leading edge of the front door and it was wet, but nothing like the one behind the bumper. I have waterproofed things with grease before, but the need to apply thread lock compound to the body bolts precludes the use of grease there.

Ahhhh....now I understand which ones you're talking about. That would mean that every single 4th generation Ram has this problem....assuming there isn't something specific about your Ram that is causing it.