General Suspension Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevewendlandt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have a 2012 1500 short box 4x4, low miles (32k). I have the towing option and I tow a 23 ft. Rockwood camper (4000 lbs) using an Equalizer hitch. I do not do off road, it is my daily driver (75 miles/day). It has the 5.7L stock except for K&N CAI. It still has the original tires (Goodyear Wrangler).

I will need to replace the tires this spring and I would like to know if there are important, general upgrades to do before buying the tires. Are there better shocks/struts than what it came with that I should consider, etc.? I would like to put on a GOOD all season tire that is a little wider but not taller. It has the stock 20" wheels. Any general ideas, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance!

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of guys on here are going to vote bilstein shock and strut upgrades. I have them on the front and I like them. And how in the world do you only have 32k miles!!!! I'm at 90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you get the tires and shocks upgraded, I'd get the speedometer/odometer fixed.
After that it's taken care of, it all comes down to how much you want to spend. You can spend $400 on Bilstein shocks and hope you like how they ride. Or you can get Rancho RS9000 shocks and I'd pretty much guarantee you will like those more. But, they're more expensive. They are adjustable, so you can change the setting for when you are towing. They have 9 different settings. The softest to stiffest setting is huge difference!
It sounds like tires, are pretty easy. A street type with similar tread as the stock goodyear tires. But better traction. Stay away from a all-terrain tire. Sounds like you do not need one, and they're a lot louder going down the road. You'll definitely hear them. E rated are something you might want to consider. Depends on how often you tow and for how far. But they are heavier, and they will drop your MPG. Probably by 1 MPG, which isn't a lot, but it adds over time.
You do not NEED to replace the shocks before you replace the shocks before or during the tire install. But yours are the stock ones and have never been replaced, they are creeping up on 5 yrs old. So you're going to need them soon. If you can afford them, might as well.

OP
OP
S

stevewendlandt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Thanks for some good suggestions! All of you question/wonder about the low mileage; I am the second owner, bought it May of 2016 at which time it had 18k miles on it! Previous owner garaged it and hardly used it, the truck is like brand new. I have put on the additional miles (as I mentioned it's my daily driver and I drive about 75 miles round trip each work day). Previously, I had a 2006 Mustang GT in truly exceptional condition but I was wanting/needing a pick-up (moving soon). I went to a local Ford dealer because of an F-150 short box that they were advertising...my wife and I didn't like that one (rough condition) but she spotted the RAM in the lot and wanted to take it for a ride....we fell for it right away. Made the trade (the sales person bought the Mustang on the spot, same day) and we have loved the truck ever since...really don't miss the 'stang as much as I thought I would. We bought a new Rockwood camper two months after buying the truck...didn't plan on that but it happened! We love the rig and it should be fun this summer with all the details worked out last fall. Hence, I want to improve the suspension and put good tires on it...standard stuff for me when I buy a used vehicle. Suspension and tires FIRST, I've had the brakes gone through and have had the existing tires/wheels aligned and Road Force balanced. Sorry for the boring history... I will post pics when I figure out how and have the time to do so! Thanks for the responses and look forward to more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990