Gonna get the JJ Special soon, couple questions first though

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
As the title says, I want to make an order to JJ soon, but had a few questions. I'm thinking:
-painted MG to match my truck
-hi beam and blinkers left chrome
-55W digital 5000K
-55W digital 5000K drop in for fogs
-switchbacks for the turns
-Probably either leave the reflector as is or just get it tinted a bit, don't want to get in trouble with the cops haha

For the halos, what exactly is the difference between the CCFL and the XB LED halos? I've been doing a bit of research into this but not completely sure

Also, for anyone up here in Canada with the DRLs, how do these lights work with them, I plan on leaving the hi beam halogen for DRL function, but will that mess with the cutoff on the projector?

Any input is appreciated

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ccfl is not nearly as bright as the leds.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The LEDs that JJ uses arent spotty like chaney says, its a constant ring because they pack so many leds in em

DUxGG.png
see its pretty constant haha

i pretty much disagree with everything chaney is saying hahaha sorry chaney. the LEDs arent blinding at all and you can tell a ring is there
q0aBj.png

as for the DRLs it wont mess with the projector at all, i actually took out that DRL because i dont like the color of it, and i just turn my dial to parking lamps when im driving (if i remember) because then it just has the turn signal lights and LED on.

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Gotcha, I was just wondering if the motor that moves the cutoff shield would get worn out after a while, seeing as it's tripped by the hi beams and the DRL is just the hi beam on low voltage

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well were talking about JJ leds haha

uhm im not sure ill look, if not ill take a pic tonight to see if im wrong or not

ottbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
-painted MG to match my truck
-hi beam and blinkers left chrome
-55W digital 5000K
-55W digital 5000K drop in for fogs
-switchbacks for the turns
-Probably either leave the reflector as is or just get it tinted a bit, don't want to get in trouble with the cops haha

Your list looks good, just need to add the beam splitters to help wiring the cutoffs.

For the halos, what exactly is the difference between the CCFL and the XB LED halos? I've been doing a bit of research into this but not completely sure

Aside from what has already been said the LED's wire straight to 12v with no need for anything else like some of the CCFL's do. I opted for a set from JJ and I dont find them spotty at all either but they are bright!

image.jpg

Also, for anyone up here in Canada with the DRLs, how do these lights work with them, I plan on leaving the hi beam halogen for DRL function, but will that mess with the cutoff on the projector?

If you are leaving the hi beams as they are then no the projector will not be affected at all. this is probably the easiest way to do things for those of us with DRl's. The projectors work super well and to be honest the halogen hi beams will not do much of anything compared to the light output of the HID's in the projector's

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Yea I don't really expect the halogen hi's to do anything once the cutoff drops out and opens up the projector hi beam, just didn't want the DRL to mess with the projector

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
CCFL looks better IMO. It is a solid piece of tubing, instead of the dozens of LEDS that look like a dotted line. Not to mention when they are off it looks better in the housing.

CCFL Is a cold cathode florecent light. It is a glass tube filled with mercury. Electricity hits the gas and causes electrons and protons to react with each other.

In the industry LEDS are brighter, but CCFLs are a "smoother" looking light. I had the CCFL's, at night with just them on they light up the parking lot pretty good. LEDS IMO are blinding and in the end is so bright that you can't make out that they are a ring. Just looks like a led light instead of a smooth ring kind of "demon eye" look you get with the CCFLs.

It is completely up to you.
CCFL are solid tubes but are not solid rings compared to LED
Like LED they don't produce heat (ie cold cathode and not hot cathode) and have a low current draw (higher then LED though, I want to say a 12" tube pulled 1.3 amps when I tested them)
CCFL rings are also much more fragile and require a voltage amplifier(inverter) that require mounting and are known to go bad

Last edited:

KozzyJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LEDs ftw idk about you guys but mercury is so dangerous if it gets in your blood stream. guy at work had mercury vapour 175w bulb bust open in his had. lost 3 fingers because of the blood poisoning.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've used the same lights you use in computers in many different projects and did a report and presentation on CCFL last semester for my electrical engineering class
Their isn't neary as much mercury vapor in CCFL as there is in old neon signs(hot cathode flourescent lights)
Those fluorescent lights in your shop, they're CCFLs and so are a lot of the spiral energy saving light bulbs (18w CCFL has an output similar to a 75w incandescent)

The lights may have a 50k hour lifespan before they burn put but the inverter doesn't and the chance of the light breaking as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Your list looks good, just need to add the beam splitters to help wiring the cutoffs.

What does this do, just split up the wiring so I can wire the lo beam and hi beam separate? Or is it for running the trigger wire to put the projector in hi mode

ottbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
What does this do, just split up the wiring so I can wire the lo beam and hi beam separate? Or is it for running the trigger wire to put the projector in hi mode
its a Y plug that goes betweent he factory wiring inside the headlight and the bulb on the HI beam side so that all you have to do to power the cut offs in the projectors is plug them into that. They make the whole thing plug and play, no hacking into the wiring.

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
That sounds like it makes the install a lot easier haha. Do I have to order it separate or can I just get JJ to throw one in with the harness for the lights?

ottbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
That sounds like it makes the install a lot easier haha. Do I have to order it separate or can I just get JJ to throw one in with the harness for the lights?

If JJ is building them then he will take care of things, not to worry. If you build them yourself then they make life simple.

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Yea this is one case where I will just get him to do it, knowing me I'll majorly eff up and end up with an undriveable truck till I get new lights haha

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
eek, sorry, was in the shop all day here, didn't see this til now!

Alrighty - great list here Alex!

CCFL vs LED - honestly, I'm phasing out the CCFLs. They will be off the site VERY soon. I just can't stand messing with them. Breakin' them here and there....thats no fun. The LEDs are friggin' amazing. 81 LEDs in the 70MM (the smaller ones on the front of the shrouds). You can only see them if you have your nose on the lens, and then your retinas will be burning. :D

The NEW leds I'm doing are even brighter than the ones pictured above. I can't look at 'em. LOL

Splitter - I put that in there when I do the retros ;)

ottbighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yea this is one case where I will just get him to do it, knowing me I'll majorly eff up and end up with an undriveable truck till I get new lights haha

I had JJ supply all the pieces and built mine myself but really after it was all done it did not save me anything and was a lot of work. I do like doing thing for my self though. Im working on my fogs now!

KozzyJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used the same lights you use in computers in many different projects and did a report and presentation on CCFL last semester for my electrical engineering class
Their isn't neary as much mercury vapor in CCFL as there is in old neon signs(hot cathode flourescent lights)
Those fluorescent lights in your shop, they're CCFLs and so are a lot of the spiral energy saving light bulbs (18w CCFL has an output similar to a 75w incandescent)

The lights may have a 50k hour lifespan before they burn put but the inverter doesn't and the chance of the light breaking as well

Even in your house hold energy saving 16 W bulbs contain little to no mercury but bust one in your hand and see what happens. Been a ticketed industrial electrician for almost 6 years. And trust me mercury bulbs can cause serious problems if not handled correctly

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Haha no problem, I figured you'd be along sometime. Good to hear the splitter will be there and ready to go, is there anything else I might need? At the moment the cart has the following:
-Switchbacks
-5000K 55W Digital HID kit for fogs w/ harness
-Retro quad lights w/ 5000K HID, Mini gatling, Mineral gray paint, XB LED halos

What color sticker you figure would go good here? I'm thinking the silver one should fit in on the back window

Also, would you happen to have pics of MG painted lights with and without the reflector? Or possibly just a lightly tinted one? Not quite sure on that one yet, but like I said, don't want to get in trouble over it

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I had JJ supply all the pieces and built mine myself but really after it was all done it did not save me anything and was a lot of work. I do like doing thing for my self though. Im working on my fogs now!

hows the fogs going!?!

Haha no problem, I figured you'd be along sometime. Good to hear the splitter will be there and ready to go, is there anything else I might need? At the moment the cart has the following:
-Switchbacks
-5000K 55W Digital HID kit for fogs w/ harness
-Retro quad lights w/ 5000K HID, Mini gatling, Mineral gray paint, XB LED halos

What color sticker you figure would go good here? I'm thinking the silver one should fit in on the back window

Also, would you happen to have pics of MG painted lights with and without the reflector? Or possibly just a lightly tinted one? Not quite sure on that one yet, but like I said, don't want to get in trouble over it

sounds good! Sticker? I'd go with the gray one. ;)

black:

121010Photoshoot16.jpg

dsc00279if.jpg

mineral gray

604015_177006275777256_1713408950_n.jpg

DSC07798.jpg