Kanati Trail Hogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ehart814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Anyone running these tires on 17" rims? I like the look of the tires, and I am definitely going to consider them.... I was looking at duratracs, but these look similar and cost less...

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well another update. Passed the 2000 mile mark over the weekend and everything still looks good. I spent a ton of time on rocky roads (pea gravel up to baseball sized rocks) this weekend while I was out fishing. Lots of fairly hard dirt and some very light mud. If you spend a lot of time on rocky roads, these tires will take the abuse. I found no gouges in the tread blocks. They do grab and hold rocks though so you'll spend a lot of time picking rocks out of the tread voids. I ended up picking about 10-15 rocks out, which isn't horrible but more than some other tires I've had on the same roads. Once again, I have seen that these tires will DIG in the mud. Even in the very light mud (really like some wet dirt that was wet maybe an inch deep) I ended up with mud splattered in the wheel wells.

The last two tanks had a lot more highway miles on them. The first was about 50/50 highway/city and I came away with 12.8mpg hand calc'd. The last tank was about 65/35 highway/city and a couple hours on narrow dirt back roads with water on both sides so barely above idle speed and because I didn't know what some of the roads were going to look like before I got into them, a little 4wd too. I hand calc'd 13.4mpg on that tank. So I'm definitely seeing a little mpg loss here but nothing I'm real upset with. About another 600 miles and I'll be looking at the first rotation so I'll have another update in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Here's the next update. I just passed 3k miles on the tires and had them rotated for the first time today. They haven't gotten any noisier after the rotation. Tire shop said they needed a bit of weight to rebalance. Wear is even so far. I had the stick a depth gauge on the tires to see how much tread is left. They started at 18/32 (according to manufacturer information) and they're at 16/32 now. I figure if they continue to wear at 2/32 per 3k miles, at 27k miles they'll be completely bald so at this point, I'm expecting I'll replace them around 25k miles. That's a little bit of a bummer but not terrible considering the weight of the truck and the softer winter rated tread on hot FL roads.

I can say that I most likely won't buy the tires again but not because I'm personally unhappy with them. The main reason at this point is that my wife complains about them every time we hit the highway. They're fine for me but she finds them obnoxious. I'll continue to keep this thread updated with more impressions throughout the life of the tire.

For $1050 out the door on an LT tire of this size, the tires are, so far, a great value with solid performance.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good updates. Torn between these, duratracs, and exo Grapplers. That whole buying American over saving lots of money.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
These are really similar looking to Duratracs. I thought about Duratracs but the 2-ply sidewall worried me a bit on an HD truck. Obviously, I chose to save lots of money and at this point it was a good decision.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just rotated mine with 8000 miles on them. My feelings are the same as echoed above except mine will probably last 40k miles if I had to guess. They hum a little but that was partially my fault as I went longer than I should have before rotating and the front ones were cupped some since I have a lifted IFS truck. Would I buy again? Probably.

One thing to add: The rears were wearing a bit faster than the fronts. That is of no fault of the tires but more fault that my truck has 395 HP and I take off aggressively from time to time. [emoji23]

fc2aaac9a79e534820d362656654d77c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just rotated mine with 8000 miles on them. My feelings are the same as echoed above except mine will probably last 40k miles if I had to guess. They hum a little but that was partially my fault as I went longer than I should have before rotating and the front ones were cupped some since I have a lifted IFS truck. Would I buy again? Probably.

One thing to add: The rears were wearing a bit faster than the fronts. That is of no fault of the tires but more fault that my truck has 395 HP and I take off aggressively from time to time. [emoji23]

fc2aaac9a79e534820d362656654d77c.jpg

I take off aggressively all the damn time... my rear ko2s look like ****...

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I take off aggressively all the damn time... my rear ko2s look like ****...

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

[emoji23]

Smoke em if ya got em

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had them in snow, ice and mud yet? How about tire pressures and contact?

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone had them in snow, ice and mud yet? How about tire pressures and contact?

I've had them in sloppy ass mud so far and they handled great. I'm running about 45 psi in mine.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pic of one of the tires that was on the back for about 8k miles

2e404a0026ddc311658e05a795c27684.jpg

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I've had mine in light mud and they were great. Dry sandy soil they were good too. Last time I was out to the coast the Army Corps of Engineers had filled in my favorite mud hole with rocks so no luck getting to play. I run mine at 72 front and rear, but really only because the TPMS on the 2500s is a pain in the ass. I should be running them at about 60-65 probably but if I do that, my TPMS will ***** at me all the time. Even at 72, I have mostly even contact but not completely flat all the way to the edges. Keep in mind my truck weighs in at 7k lbs though so for the 1500 guys, zstampe's numbers will be much better.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just rotated mine with 8000 miles on them. My feelings are the same as echoed above except mine will probably last 40k miles if I had to guess.

I hope I get 40k but my back of the napkin math says no. Of course, that's assuming they actually came with 18/32 as the manufacturer states. I'll have them checked again in another 3k miles and see if they lost another 2/32 or if it's less this time. Then I'll have a better idea. But I only got 24k out of the stock Firestones so I guess I may just have to get used to putting new tires on every 25k miles lol.

cmznj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have about 3000 miles on mine. So far i am very happy. I had to have the re balanced and the shop said they where way off. I took about 2-3 mpg hit. i get around 19 highway and 15 city. But they are great in snow. I can take off from a light in the snow and it launches. really good in the mud. Theres a little hum at highway speed if the radio is off but only if you listen for it. I run mine right at 50lbs to get perfect contact. I couldnt ask for anything more out of them. Especially for the price. I havent measured them but there doesnt look like any wear yet.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I too have bought these tires and am impressed with them!

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2f50ed49c838432a434af6076e76d087.jpg

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2f50ed49c838432a434af6076e76d087.jpg

Damn that sucks. Maybe you got lucky and it's just a shorty screw? Happened to me once, not with these tires though. I took it to the local Discount Tire to have them pull the screw and patch the tire and it was a little quarter inch long machine screw with a big ol' pan head; it didn't even fully penetrate the tire. Maybe used in HVAC? Idk but I felt dumb lol. Now I'll just pull them myself and let the tire go flat if it's going to lol.

How many miles do you have on the tires? They still look pretty good.

I passed 6k at the end of December and forgot to do an update and forgot to have the tire shop throw a depth gauge on. I haven't driven much in January so probably around March or so I'll have 9k on mine and have them rotated and a tread depth check. I will say they're getting louder as they wear a little but wear is even so far. But I rotate every 3k miles so I expect that. So far a good tire for the money though.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn that sucks. Maybe you got lucky and it's just a shorty screw? Happened to me once, not with these tires though. I took it to the local Discount Tire to have them pull the screw and patch the tire and it was a little quarter inch long machine screw with a big ol' pan head; it didn't even fully penetrate the tire. Maybe used in HVAC? Idk but I felt dumb lol. Now I'll just pull them myself and let the tire go flat if it's going to lol.

How many miles do you have on the tires? They still look pretty good.

I passed 6k at the end of December and forgot to do an update and forgot to have the tire shop throw a depth gauge on. I haven't driven much in January so probably around March or so I'll have 9k on mine and have them rotated and a tread depth check. I will say they're getting louder as they wear a little but wear is even so far. But I rotate every 3k miles so I expect that. So far a good tire for the money though.

Actually I've left the screw in for now. It hasn't dropped a single pound of pressure and it's too close to the sidewall to patch.
I'm guessing it's not all the way through the tire.

These have about 11k miles on them and they haven't been easy miles either I have a lead foot ha ha. I've rotated them once so far.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Leaving it is the best option if you're not losing pressure, imo. It could be all the way through and you've just got a good seal or it may not be and you're fine but you won't know until you pull it and it's too late. I've done that before too. Had a nail in a tire for about 25k miles once lol. It eventually just started wearing down with the tire.

11k rotated once with a lead foot? Damn. Pretty sure my 6800lb truck would have eaten the tires completely by now. Mine look about like yours and I've got half the miles on them.