Kanati Trail Hogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Disregard, I found them. Thank you!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Good! I got my 2756520s to the door the next day for $880. Still factor in mount and balance locally for $15-$20 per tire but still couldn't beat it locally.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I ordered a set for my 1500 Big Horn Crew 4X4. FedEx says they will be delivered tomorrow (Wednesday). We will see - I'm looking forward to trying these tires out.

I HATED the stock Goodyear SRA garbage, I replaced them at shy of 20K (had tread, but dove like poo, spun on wet roads, and was unpleasant on dirt roads or worse. Had Mastercraft AXTs installed. These were better than the Goodyear trash, but have been disappointing as far as wear - they are about 80% done with just over 22K miles on them and they are picking up screws and nails like a magnet!!!! So - time for a 10 ply-rated tire! These Trail Hogs seem to be the ticket.

I'll probably only get about 25k on mine, but take that with a grain of salt. My truck probably has a couple thousand pounds on yours. I will say we been having some ridiculous rain down here in Florida this month and these tires are excellent in the rain. We drove my wife's Journey on a road trip to a couple different places around FL last week and the experience with the stock Kumho tires was awful. Fast forward to this week and I'm back in the Ram, the Trail Hogs are eating the standing water for lunch and ******** it out all over the cars behind me lol. I have hit standing water at 50 mph and I have yet to feel unsafe with these tires. Great tire for the money but they aren't going to last me long enough to justify buying again until I've tried a few other brands. If the other brands end up wearing as fast as these and the Transjunks that were on before, I'll buy these again in a second.

Recommend Parrish Tire Co. on eBay.

This is where I got mine from.

And what are they going for shipped give or take

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I got mine (LT285/60r20) for $899 shipped. Added another $110 for mount and balance locally (only place that would do it charged an extra fee because it was "oversized" and an additional extra fee because they classified it as a difficult mount being a 3-ply sidewall that's only 7 inches tall and apparently very stiff). The tire shop ended up taking it in the shorts on mine though because I paid them $110 to mount and balance, they paid over $250 to fix my rims when they jacked them all up.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So are we still looking at a 25k mile tire here? I'm not sure a 25k tire is right for me as I put over 28k miles a year on my truck. But Man I want that aggressive look....

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have put probably 15k on mine so far and the tread still looks great. I commute with mine and play :)

1146642b0a4469c479b52c0b46330191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So are we still looking at a 25k mile tire here? I'm not sure a 25k tire is right for me as I put over 28k miles a year on my truck. But Man I want that aggressive look....

You'll likely do better than that in a 1500. My 2500 scales out at around 7100-7200lbs. Weight eats tires up quickly. I'm around 12.5k miles on them now and I can definitely see wear. I've probably got about 50% tread life left. They have also gotten rather loud, to the point where I'm actually considering replacing them before they're worn out. I could probably stand it and run them out but they drive my wife crazy so I'm pretty sure they'll be gone before the end of the year.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have put probably 15k on mine so far and the tread still looks great. I commute with mine and play :)

1146642b0a4469c479b52c0b46330191.jpg

I don't have recent picture handy but I can tell you for sure your tread looks way better than mine. I've worn through some of the sipes on the middle tread blocks already, where it doesn't look like you have yet. And you've got an extra 2500 miles on yours. This is the difference between the weight of a 1500 and a 2500. I've also heard the roads down here in FL have a high seashell content which eats tires up faster but I don't know how much truth there is to that.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've also heard the roads down here in FL have a high seashell content which eats tires up faster but I don't know how much truth there is to that.

A friend of mine works for one of the largest pavement companies in Central Florida and I asked him about tires wearing out faster here in Florida and he said the same thing. VERY high content of shell in the mix. I'm still running the stock tires on my 2500 for now, but I dropped the air pressure in them to 55 all the way around and reset the TPMS so it didn't annoy me on startup. I'm seeing less tread wear than I was when running the higher pressure.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
A friend of mine works for one of the largest pavement companies in Central Florida and I asked him about tires wearing out faster here in Florida and he said the same thing. VERY high content of shell in the mix. I'm still running the stock tires on my 2500 for now, but I dropped the air pressure in them to 55 all the way around and reset the TPMS so it didn't annoy me on startup. I'm seeing less tread wear than I was when running the higher pressure.

I think the shell along with the high average temperature softening the rubber a little kills tires faster. So while I'm saying I'll get only 25k before they're bald there are 3 things folks need to consider when I'm reporting this.

1. I drive a 2500, which scales in a couple thousand pounds heavier than 1500s
  2. Florida is HOT for most of the year and the heat softens the rubber
  3. Lots of shell in the road which wears the tires faster

Don't let my mileage reports scare you off a tire that is a great value in general. I may replace them before they're worn because they're getting too loud for even me, but some of you run full mud tires and don't care about the noise.

After almost a year and a little over 12k miles, these are VERY GOOD tires, especially for the price.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's just it Gustheram, I am in the same boat as you..... I live in Central Florida too so all 3 of your points strike home. While I am not concerned about the road noise, the 25k miles on a set of tires would bother the heck out of me. My last set of tires (different truck) was well over 60k miles on them (Nitto Terra Garpplers). The difference being those were on a 1500 not the 2500 I now own.

I'm trying to debate the cost difference between the Nitto and these and I'm still leaning to the Nitto because of the mileage I got from the previous sets of them that I have owned.

The one thing I did notice was that lowering the air pressure on the stock transforce really seemed to help slow down the wear of them. What pressure are you running on your 2500 with those tires?

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I haven't been able to find anyone that will lower my TPMS threshold and the light drives me nuts so I keep them around 68-72. From what I've seen the cost difference between the grapplers and these is about $500 so if you're going to get 2x or more the life out of the grapplers you'll pay more upfront and less in the long run. Next set I'm thinking before the end of the year is Pro Comp AT Sport in 295/60r20. They'll run me about 3-400 more but they have a 60k tread wear warranty even in LT sizes.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Gus, I sent you a PM.....

Gonna have to look into the Pro Comp tires. They sound like they might be a little cheaper than the Nitto with comperable tread life.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Gonna resurrect the thread and provide an update on the tires. They are continuing to wear faster than I want. HD guys, big problem for us. 1500 guys, maybe not so much. My truck scales out at 7400lbs with me and my dad (about 330lbs combined) and the random stuff I keep in the truck plus the weight of the bed cover and steps. I just passed 15k miles on the tires and the wear is very noticeable. I guess if I ran them to 3/32, I'd get another 10k so they are wearing evenly over the life of the tire. Way back at my first rotation I guestimated 25k based on the wear at the first 3k. That's still my guess but I'll be replacing them likely in the next month or 2. The longer they wear, the louder they're getting. I've also worn through most of the siping now so they spin a little more than when new.

All that aside, depending on what I was using my truck for, I might consider buying them again. They work well off road and they're tough. Took a couple loads down to the landfill this past weekend and the construction debris area they told us to dump the loads at was not nearly as nice or clean as the yard waste area I'd been to before. It was at the top of a dirt hill with mostly unpaved access up and mud about 3-4 inches deep. Mixed nicely into the mud was a load of debris from broken mirror glass to metal conduit to broken nail-studded wood. I did my best to avoid the most obvious tire wreckers but I know I drove over some nasty stuff. No cuts, gouges, or punctures evident on the tires. The first run I used 4x4 because I wasn't really sure what I was driving into but the 2nd run I stayed in 4x2. No problems either time but I did end up with a lot of mud splattered down both sides of my truck and packed all up on top of the steps. The tires dig well and clean out well.

So after 15k miles, even though I'm getting ready to replace them soon, my opinion of the tire is little changed. They are really great for the price you pay and what they are (a hybrid AT that trends closer to mud tire with a pretty soft tread compound). If I lived somewhere with nasty winters, no question these tires would be on my winter wheels.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah I'm probably going to be lucky if I get 20k out of mine on a 6.4 2500. Great tires but for the miles I drive not enough tread life.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Haven't posted in a while but my Trail Hogs have gone downhill fast in a year since purchase.

Normal driving and average miles, mostly highway. Have rotated them twice since purchase...should've turned them 1 or 2 more times but the front 2 and left rear have worn so unevenly that it's causing major vibrations and road noise. The tires are trash with plenty of tread left. It feels like something is binding up but it's just the damn tires. They'll be gone soon.

What was a great deal is turning into a headache and poor investment. Hope others are faring better. I won't buy these again.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine are getting the road noise as well. No binding but still loud. Not as loud as my exhaust though so not bad. I also put about 20k a year on them. Just about 30k on them now.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Its like mine went to hell over night. Running my hand across 3 of them is like a mountain range and one is perfectly smooth.

Birddogyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just purchase a set of 275 75R18 for my 2500. For $726 delivered it was worth a shot. Thanks for all the reviews.

Birddogyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Installed... The noise is less than expected. 70 psi gave the best contact patch.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bump for a really informative thread on Kanati Trail Hog performance and tread wear!!