LED lights in the sport hood scoops - my project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turipz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello.

Like many other owners of the Ram 1500 sport, I wanted to do something to turn the otherwise for-show only hood scoops into something more practical and cool...

I decided to integrate real LED lights into each scoop, which will provide effective lighting when needed, better visibility of my truck on the road for passive safety, and a more unique and cool look overall.

I couldn't find any reference to other people doing something like that before, except for an aftermarket company that does make a complete LED light solution including scoops - but from what I could see - these were low intensity lights, providing a look - but not actually lighting the road as I wanted it to be. This solution was also around $300 of so (US), which for me in Canada - after everything else (conversion rate, shipping, taxes etc) would have been quite expensive for a mostly cosmetic effect.

So I decided to fabricate / create my own solution instead. I bought two 8" single row LED light bars providing 30w of power and 2700lm light intensity each from mictuning through amazon Canada, at around $120 Canadian for the two - shipping and all included. I also bought a wiring harness for two lights and the cherry on top - a RF remote controlled PWM dimmer which cost me another $24 or so Canadian - all in.

I bought a plate of 6061 aluminum which I cut with my band saw into two base plates for each side of the hood, onto which the lights will be mounted connected with simple straight angle aluminum bars I bought at the local home depot, which I cut and shaped to fit my setup.

Figuring out the correct angle and position of the base plates and the mounting arms the lights would be held by was a royal pain, since - as it turned out, the two under-hood sides where the scoops are turned out to not be symmetrical, so I had to make adjustments for each side individually, but eventually - I got it to fit and work. I ran the wiring under the hood - securing it in place with zip ties and aluminum sticky ties.

Now I can turn these lights on from inside my truck without requiring any wiring to go through from the engine compartment into the cab, and can dim the lights on-road so they're visible but not blinding, and crank the brightness up all the way off-road using the same remote providing significant illumination much brighter than the stock headlights.

I am attaching some pictures to show how my project turned out, and I hope you like it.

Attachments

• 2016-01-16 07.54.48.jpg
    2016-01-16 07.54.48.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 582
  • 2016-01-16 07.53.10.jpg
    2016-01-16 07.53.10.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 4,075
  • 2016-01-16 07.48.19.jpg
    2016-01-16 07.48.19.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 533
  • 2016-01-16 07.47.15.jpg
    2016-01-16 07.47.15.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,976
  • 2016-01-16 07.51.59.jpg
    2016-01-16 07.51.59.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a huge fan of the look, but if you like it and it functions as you desired then good deal. When reading the title I thought you were going to replace the hood scoops with lights.

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
i have seen this on the challengers, you say the hood scoops are none functional, i figured they have a kit to make it functional like they do the challengers, i will have to check and see on that...

i dont mind the lights in there but for me i would have done some kind of color theme, but that is me.

good job and do what you like, its your truck!

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's definitely different....Ive Nvr seen lights put on the outside of the scoops like that.

One thing for sure....your set up for plowing!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Well, you did a good job on the install, it's pretty clean. Not a fan of the look though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have seen this on the challengers, you say the hood scoops are none functional, i figured they have a kit to make it functional like they do the challengers, i will have to check and see on that...

i dont mind the lights in there but for me i would have done some kind of color theme, but that is me.

good job and do what you like, its your truck!

There is a kit out now for one side. You need the Mopar CAI for it though. It feeds the air into the top of it.

OP
OP
T

Turipz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be sure to make that my next project... :) but seriously speaking - I wanted serious light output (don't remember if I mentioned it, but I hunt in northern Ontario, driving on very dark and dangerous mining and logging roads which are often like riding on a pitch black roller coaster - only I have no rails to protect me from flying off very sharp and unpredictable turns, and on my roller coaster I also have his trucks and similar heavy vehicles driving in the opposite direction to me, not expecting (or willing...) to share the road with anyone else...

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How f'ing dark does it get where you live?!

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was watching a lot of youtube videos on light bars. A single 40"+ puts out substantial light! I just can't imagine needing more. Some of the cheaper lights, don't put out any light at all. They sell some knockoffs out here for around $100 and you can look right into when it's on. Ive seen brighter christmas trees. So I'm guessing that you didn't put $5000 dollars worth of name brand lights on there. Where one good one would have suited you just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
He has almost achieved the look of Will Smith's ride in I Am Legend with the lights in all directions.