Light bar install/wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tomorrow Morning I will start this install. What I'm asking of you tech savvy guys, is to keep a close eye on this because I'm sure I will have a question or two during the process.

I will be installing the switch last, working my way from the light to the inside of the cab. My issue as of now, is that I cant use the panel under the headlight switch, and I have the cuddle seat... So no center console. I want to install 3 switches because I will be adding a couple more things shortly.

I know there are some aftermarket switch panels and the such... But I'm going to have a hard time paying more for buttons than I did on the light lol.

Please post up your aux switch locations! I've been through thread after thread and everything is focused on the light itself rather than the interior (minus a few, like sbarron and stewi, off the top of my head...but their locations don't suit me ☹️)

And a shout out to sbarron for the help so far!

IMO

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you have the 8-speed transmission? Why 3 switches (what function are you looking for)?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
8 spd.. Well I'm doing light bar in the front, lights in the back, and I want some flexibility to add something down the road.

IMO

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OK, I would recommend NOT trying to use the panel under the headlight switch. On 8-speed trucks it is not open behind, it houses the manual release for the transmission.

I think it was sbarron who had the really clean install in the right-side cubby. I believe that is the best option with the most backspace for flush mounting if you have the jumpseat.

As far as 3 switches go, you'd be hard pressed to fit 3 separate switches of any kind in that location, but you could fit two ON/OFF/ON switches which functionality wise would give you 4 switches.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On a three prong switch, in the cab, is it necessary to ground it if your relay is grounded?

Or will the little light on the switch not work unless it's grounded?

Edit: the answer to this question is yes.

IMO

Last edited:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
On a three prong switch, in the cab, is it necessary to ground it if your relay is grounded?

Or will the little light on the switch not work unless it's grounded?

IMO

the light wont work on the switch without it grounded

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Here are some ideas:
100_3384.jpg
10-Vehicle-DIY-Fails-That-Are-So-Bad-08.jpg

Flip5.jpg

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Help! Lol..

My relay has 3 wires going to the switch... Don't most just have one? What do I do with them?

Black yellow and red ones.
45e885118082ac7e2ae9df3255bae025.jpg
a1483847a70049a19bdd95218e2f4e1b.jpg

IMO

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Help! Lol..

My relay has 3 wires going to the switch... Don't most just have one? What do I do with them?

Black yellow and red ones.
45e885118082ac7e2ae9df3255bae025.jpg
a1483847a70049a19bdd95218e2f4e1b.jpg

IMO
Yellow is probably middle...extra fuses are necessary if I'm wrong!

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im thinking that the yellow is what I would use for switched power inside.. And If I use it, then the lights could be powered on with ignition off.

I don't think I want that

So I could just cut off the yellow wire.. And pull accessory power from the inside in lieu of..

IMO

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Im thinking that the yellow is what I would use for switched power inside.. And If I use it, then the lights could be powered on with ignition off.

I don't think I want that

So I could just cut off the yellow wire.. And pull accessory power from the inside in lieu of..

IMO
Honestly I would need to see it, and the manufacturer's info to answer this properly. Where did you buy it from?

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It came with my Auxbeam Light bar. If I just connect the battery terminals (+/- wires), the switch that came with it illuminates and the lights work with the vehicle off.

IMO

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
But since I want to use my own switch.. And I don't want them to work with the vehicle off... ?...

IMO

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You will need to choose a source of power that is only powered with the vehicle on. You will tap that source, run it to your switch and use it to energize your relay when you flip the switch to on.

Why do you want it to not turn on with the vehicle off?

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You will need to choose a source of power that is only powered with the vehicle on. You will tap that source, run it to your switch and use it to energize your relay when you flip the switch to on.

Why do you want it to not turn on with the vehicle off?

Honestly the ONLY reason I don't want it to work with the vehicle off is...

I don't have a reason lol. I'll probably just use it as designed, extend the wires to the inside of the cab, and use my new switch.

IMO