Need new tires! Too many options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The g2 is a great tire and will suit any truck lifted or not . Some trucks look funky with big off-road tires and no lift . The G2 from my experience is worth it , with them on all my vehicles i can't Sade one bad thing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i say this in every tire thread,avoid duratracs if you plan to go off road,and i'm including gravel driveways.they are garbage.
I'm going to call ******** on this post. I have had duratracs on my truck since 38k miles. I now have 192k miles. i work for the railroad and we have some of the harshest dirt roads there is with ballast all over the road a rock has never gave me a flat. a few railroad spikes a piece of ripped up metal is all that gave me a flat I run duratracs on my 1500 ford f350 and tj jeep

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Silent425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love my Nitto's ...but if my truck wasn't lifted with big wheels and tires I would ONLY run Hankook Dynapro's! They are hands down the best longest lasting tire on the road! They are worth every penny! Its amazing how long the thread looks new on those things!

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone here have any experience with the Atturo trail blade xt's or at's?

I can get the AT's for about 120 a tire, but don't know much about them.

I just want a decent tire that will serve me well in the rain and snow. The ones I have now, every time it rains, it feels like I'm hydroplaning.

I will be doing Bilstein 5100 adjustables down the road here shortly as well, so I could probably fit a bigger tire.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my Nitto's ...but if my truck wasn't lifted with big wheels and tires I would ONLY run Hankook Dynapro's! They are hands down the best longest lasting tire on the road! They are worth every penny! Its amazing how long the thread looks new on those things!

I have them on my Jeep, long lasting tires fir sure, kinda noisy, but in more than 3-4 inches of snow they are terrible. The rubber is too hard to stick to snow or ice well enough.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have them on my Jeep, long lasting tires fir sure, kinda noisy, but in more than 3-4 inches of snow they are terrible. The rubber is too hard to stick to snow or ice well enough.

Yeah I wouldn't want those then. Up here in Wisconsin we get some pretty brutal winters and lots of snow.

I need something that would be able to plow through it without problem.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have narrowed it down to either the Good Year Duratrac's or Cooper Discoverer A/T3

The Duratracs are $990 installed
The Cooper A/T3's are $650 installed

Thoughts on this? Maybe their is a better tire option?

Want to replace my tires on the stock rims first, then next summer I will purchase a Rim and Tire package.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I have fallen wildpeak at3 and there really on in the rain off-road and on road. I was in your same dilemma when I bought my truck needed new tires and I wanted to lift but the tires came first I got my stock 20 inch size which I regret now because the truck it lifted 7.5 inches. I suggest if your getting the tires first get a bigger tire size than stock. If you could afford to safely lift first then get tires I would go that route .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have narrowed it down to either the Good Year Duratrac's or Cooper Discoverer A/T3

The Duratracs are $990 installed
The Cooper A/T3's are $650 installed

Thoughts on this? Maybe their is a better tire option?

Want to replace my tires on the stock rims first, then next summer I will purchase a Rim and Tire package.

I'll admit I was hating on Goodyear before I drove off the lot. My SRT8 came with crappy GYs, and my Ram did too. WTF is Chrysler thinking? Anyways my buddy manages the Discount Tire I use, so I asked his advice. He rated the top 3 in this order, Duratracs, K02s, and A/T3s. He said they are all quality tires, and he can get whatever he wants for his Jeeps and trucks, but prefers the Duratracs. I'm not interested in all the lifting, off-roading, and rock climbing stuff he's in to, just snow performance. He said I'll be more than happy, and if I do venture off-road, he's never had a Duratrac failure. Said the whole sidewall thing is a myth. So far I'm very happy with them, but we haven't gotten any accumulating snow yet. So the jury is still out for me, but I trust Dave. He's never steered me wrong.

wink

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If your friend is the local dealer, go check out the sidewalls yourself and report back. I’m in the boat and have narrowed my choices to KO2 & Duatracs. A couple friends have Duratracs on 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, and they do wear quick, but are great in snow. Both say the sidewalls are soft. I had KO2s in the past and they were awesome on my 1/2 ton.

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll admit I was hating on Goodyear before I drove off the lot. My SRT8 came with crappy GYs, and my Ram did too. WTF is Chrysler thinking? Anyways my buddy manages the Discount Tire I use, so I asked his advice. He rated the top 3 in this order, Duratracs, K02s, and A/T3s. He said they are all quality tires, and he can get whatever he wants for his Jeeps and trucks, but prefers the Duratracs. I'm not interested in all the lifting, off-roading, and rock climbing stuff he's in to, just snow performance. He said I'll be more than happy, and if I do venture off-road, he's never had a Duratrac failure. Said the whole sidewall thing is a myth. So far I'm very happy with them, but we haven't gotten any accumulating snow yet. So the jury is still out for me, but I trust Dave. He's never steered me wrong.

wink
That's all I use is duratracs and I got my dad into them on his 3/4 ton and 1 ton but I'm here in Montana right now with 12+ inches and doing fine where ever I roam

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your friend is the local dealer, go check out the sidewalls yourself and report back. I’m in the boat and have narrowed my choices to KO2 & Duatracs. A couple friends have Duratracs on 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, and they do wear quick, but are great in snow. Both say the sidewalls are soft. I had KO2s in the past and they were awesome on my 1/2 ton.

I guess you mean me, and we did. He took me back to the rack to check out the Duratracs, K02s, and A/T3s. The Coopers are what I decided on after extensive research. I went in hating GYs, and saw an equal amount of complaints with the BFGs. So I wasn't even considering either. But I've dealt with Dave for a number of years and he's always been straight up honest with me. He rated the A/T3s as his 3rd choice, and the K02s as 2nd. He can have any tire he wants, but prefers the Duratracs for his vehicles. That goes way further with me than any internet posting. Many of which have a large dose of personal bias, and/or 3rd party regurgitation without actual experience. He said he's never had a sidewall failure with the GYs on his vehicles, nor had any come into the shop. I'd wager he's seen more of both than any consumer is likely to. But I don't have a dog in this fight, and I don't care what anyone else decides to go with. Just posting my experience and why I made my choice. I was frustrated like most others tackling this subject. So take what I say with a grain of salt too... YMMV

That's all I use is duratracs and I got my dad into them on his 3/4 ton and 1 ton but I'm here in Montana right now with 12+ inches and doing fine where ever I roam

That's good to hear. Ma Nature hasn't dumped on this part of Colorado yet, but it's why I went with the Duratracs.

wink

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I guess you mean me, and we did. He took me back to the rack to check out the Duratracs, K02s, and A/T3s. The Coopers are what I decided on after extensive research. I went in hating GYs, and saw an equal amount of complaints with the BFGs. So I wasn't even considering either. But I've dealt with Dave for a number of years and he's always been straight up honest with me. He rated the A/T3s as his 3rd choice, and the K02s as 2nd. He can have any tire he wants, but prefers the Duratracs for his vehicles. That goes way further with me than any internet posting. Many of which have a large dose of personal bias, and/or 3rd party regurgitation without actual experience. He said he's never had a sidewall failure with the GYs on his vehicles, nor had any come into the shop. I'd wager he's seen more of both than any consumer is likely to. But I don't have a dog in this fight, and I don't care what anyone else decides to go with. Just posting my experience and why I made my choice. I was frustrated like most others tackling this subject. So take what I say with a grain of salt too... YMMV

That's good to hear. Ma Nature hasn't dumped on this part of Colorado yet, but it's why I went with the Duratracs.

wink
You will love them I have had many pairs never had issues with a sidewall don't know what that is about I do bout 70% highway 5% city and 25% offroads like gravel or making my own path....

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will love them I have had many pairs never had issues with a sidewall don't know what that is about I do bout 70% highway 5% city and 25% offroads like gravel or making my own path....

Cool! That's what I keep reading, but the two dumps I've had here at the house have been a couple of inches, and were melted from the warm pavement before I could even venture out. I'm more like 99% pavement, though I did go to an area where I assume trucks go when it's wet and muddy. Lots of deep tire ruts. It was dry when I tried the SRAs. Put the front tires in a deep rut, then slowly gave it a little gas. The SRA spun (don't have my LSD installed yet), but did pull me out. Went back when it was wet with the Duratracs and did the same thing, except the rut was full of water and the rear tires were in a slick mud patch. No spin at all, just pulled me right out. Both times in 2WD. There is a reservoir I visited in my SRT8 a couple of years ago. A foolhardy adventure! The Jeep has very little clearance and had my Toyo street tires. The road looked like a creek bed that had dried up. Couldn't go over 20 mph in the better spots, but I made it in and out. Wranglers and 4x4s were zipping past me, likely thinking what an idiot. ;) I kept thinking if I ever get a 4x4 I'm gonna return. Now I can.

wink

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
.12b6fa5ce50688dadc7f1e7ca08e6227.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've run a lot of different tires over the years. I've run several sets of BFG ko and ko2. They're good traction, but I'd never put them on anything heavier than a half ton. They just wear out too fast. Got about 40k a set out of them on 1 ton. Closer to 60 on 1/2 ton. I've Been running toyo at and getting 70k on 1 ton and close to 100 on 1/2. The traction isn't quite as good as the BFG, but not by much and way cheaper per mile so that's my recommendation. I'm trying a set of Nitto ridge grappler now, but not enough miles to give a full opinion. They are pretty quiet for how aggressive they are though.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interested in hearing about the Nitto Ridge Grappler performance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Interested in hearing about the Nitto Ridge Grappler performance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They ride smooth, quiet for how aggresive they are. Good traction in rain, gravel and mud. I run studded hankook ipikes in the winter on that truck so I'll likely never know how they are in snow. Apart from that the tread wear is all I don't know about yet.