Nerf bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TeamJackson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a black 13 1500 Quad Cab. Looking for nerf bars but I see different diameters on websites. What should I get? I also heard get chrome because black will chip.. Thoughts?

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Black being powdercoated always has that chance to chip because of rocks etc. But I would personally go black but that is just because I am not a fan of chrome and am taking all the chrome off my truck. As far as diameter I have seen a lot of 3 and 4 inch I am not really sure what preference people like since I have decided not to buy them yet.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Black powdercoat can chip but chrome can rust/pit, flake and peel. Even stainless steel can yellow over time. There is no perfect finish. My black Lunds are actually made from a plastic. The OEM steps on my Wrangler are also plastic. I'd go with the ones you think look the best and come from a reputable manufacturer. Also, wider bars seem to be in style now. 3 inch bars used to be the norm, now everyone wants a 5 inch bar.

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
In a couple of months, LINE-X dealers will be selling 3.5-inch round stainless steel steps which to my knowledge, no one else has that size. 3-inch may be too small, 4-inch may be too big, 3.5-inch may be just right. We shall see.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I got a set of 4" IIRC Nasta Stainless step tubes on my 3500.. They've been on there for 2 years... no rust at all! The bolts, Brackets, everything is Stainless... Very clean bars.. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have 3'' Aries Black textured bars on my truck now as a temporary step until I can get some power steps. 3'' is too small. If contact/step area is a big deal to you, then get some power steps. You can walk on the whole board unlike most bars and the step area is at least 5 inches. They also don't take away from your ground clearance, and look a lot better in my opinion.

OP
OP
TeamJackson

TeamJackson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i am a total novice...could i install with ease?

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If your just looking to install Bars, ya they are pretty easy. I've never done the power steps but read they can be tricky.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've installed and removed nerf bars with only simple hand tools. I don't know your mechanic level, but I think you would be able to do it no problem. Have you looked into power steps? They're spendy, but amazing!