Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kermur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to share some specific experiences I have personally had with LED upgrades and I believe a thread summarizing other people's experience could be valuable. As I'll describe below, I have some experience using two different brands and while I'm very happy with my lights, it would have been useful to more clearly understand potential issues going in.

Truck: 4th Gen, 2019 Ram 1500 Classic - Big Horn

Original Equipment: Incandescent Headlights (Quad) and Tail Lights

LED Headlights installed: Alpharex Luxx ("MK II 5th Gen 2500 Style")
LED Tail Lights installed: Morimoto xB Gen 2

I am also interested in any feedback / experience anyone can offer regarding 3rd brake lights or fog lights they have installed on their 4th Gen Ram.

Alpharex Luxx Headlights Review / Experience:

Good:

- Excellent looking headlight
- DRL look great; Apparently they can be changed to Amber instead of white by plugging or unplugging one wire within housing (I left them white / as-is)
- Attractive sequential turn signals w/ switchback
- Adjustable to same extent as OEM Quads (Up and down)
- Not inexpensive, but big chunk cheaper than Morimoto xB Headlights which are probably main aftermarket competitor

Meh:
- No documentation included. Must search the net for guides / videos.
- DRL wiring a bit clunky, but I don't know if I can really ding Alpharex for this. Electricity has to come from somewhere.
- Slow customer support (more below).
- LED Bulbs are not replaceable. Comes with 2 (maye 3?) year warranty. Hopefully they last.

Bad:
- "Parking Light Out" warnings
There is no shortage of posts on these forums describing this issue. Unlike issues with other headlights by Alpharex and other manufacturers,
this issue can NOT be solved with AlfaOBD (Changing LED settings).
I was only able to solve this issue using resistors. Not the end of the world, but great care must be taken to do this right:
- Unlike tail light resistors on blinkers or other circuits that are only live intermittantly, these resistors will be HOT the entire time your headlights are on. They MUST be mounted with care /safely.
- I mounted mine with hose clamps, directly attached to tow hooks behind bumper. This keeps hot resistors miles away from anything they could damage.
I actually tried 3 different types of resistors:
- Cheap Amazon 6 ohm / 50 W resistors; They work, but they get insanely hot, I was not comfortable with them
- More expensive, but still pretty cheap, Morimoto 7.5 ohm, 40 W resistors; They work. They get hot but not as hot as the cheap gold ones.
- After weeks of trying to reach support @ Alpharex, I eventually got ahold of someone through email.
They made me just through hoops, take video of my issue but eventually agreed to send me some resistors. I haven't actually installed them yet because the
Morimoto ones are working well. That said, I would like to try to ones Alpharex sent me because they have much higher resistance (50 ohm I believe) and
if that's enough to trick the truck and prevent the Parking Light Out message, these resistors may be the best (less current, less heat).

Final Thoughts: I love the look and performance at roughly half of what other options would cost. Would I buy again? Yes, BUT I am not thrilled about having to run resistors, but its not the end of the world.

Morimoto xB Gen 2 Tail Lights Review / Experience:

Good:

- Available with Red Lens; May or may not be valuable to you, This was huge for me, my truck is not "murdered out." I did not want smoked tail lights and it seems that most aftermarket options are smoked (or early 2000s goofy plasti-chrome style)
- Beautiful & bright LED lights; when headlights (or parking/running) are on, awesome looking and bright "C"-shape illumination on tail lights
- Has plug for easy install of optional Morimoto Backup bar (I did not purchase)
- Simple install
- Shipped with plug and play resistors
- Even better, I didn't even need to use the included resistors
- I get no light out warning and did NOT make any changes with AlfaOBD (did not change Tail light type to LED)

Meh:
- No documentation. This seems pretty standard. I don't think you'd need documentation anyway. If you do, Morimoto has plenty of install videos.
- A bit pricey @ $500+
- For me, there is a little bit of a gap where housing meets truck body. Not noticeable at all, but looks like it could invite more water in that OEM @ top of light. Probably uneccesary, but I'm adding some 1/4" neoprene weather stripping to back of housing to seal.

Bad:
- Nothing bad to say.

Final Thoughts: Despite the somewhat steep price, very pleased with this purchase and would definitely recommend.

I'll add pictures if there is interest. Anyone have experience with LED 3rd brake lights or fog lights?

Thank you.

-kermur

bretthays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Alpharex Luxx have been on since February and still working like day 1. Love them!

DesertRoads

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-Diesel
I wanted to share some specific experiences I have personally had with LED upgrades and I believe a thread summarizing other people's experience could be valuable. As I'll describe below, I have some experience using two different brands and while I'm very happy with my lights, it would have been useful to more clearly understand potential issues going in.

I am also interested in any feedback / experience anyone can offer regarding 3rd brake lights or fog lights they have installed on their 4th Gen Ram.

Good:

- DRL look great; Apparently they can be changed to Amber instead of white by plugging or unplugging one wire within housing (I left them white / as-is)
- Not inexpensive, but big chunk cheaper than Morimoto xB Headlights which are probably main aftermarket competitor

Meh:
- DRL wiring a bit clunky, but I don't know if I can really ding Alpharex for this. Electricity has to come from somewhere.
- LED Bulbs are not replaceable. Comes with 2 (maye 3?) year warranty. Hopefully they last.

Bad:
There is no shortage of posts on these forums describing this issue. Unlike issues with other headlights by Alpharex and other manufacturers,
I was only able to solve this issue using resistors. Not the end of the world, but great care must be taken to do this right:
- Unlike tail light resistors on blinkers or other circuits that are only live intermittantly, these resistors will be HOT the entire time your headlights are on. They MUST be mounted with care /safely.
- I mounted mine with hose clamps, directly attached to tow hooks behind bumper. This keeps hot resistors miles away from anything they could damage.
- Cheap Amazon 6 ohm / 50 W resistors; They work, but they get insanely hot, I was not comfortable with them
- More expensive, but still pretty cheap, Morimoto 7.5 ohm, 40 W resistors; They work. They get hot but not as hot as the cheap gold ones.
- After weeks of trying to reach support @ Alpharex, I eventually got ahold of someone through email.
They made me just through hoops, take video of my issue but eventually agreed to send me some resistors. I haven't actually installed them yet because the
Morimoto ones are working well. That said, I would like to try to ones Alpharex sent me because they have much higher resistance (50 ohm I believe) and
if that's enough to trick the truck and prevent the Parking Light Out message, these resistors may be the best (less current, less heat).

Final Thoughts: I love the look and performance at roughly half of what other options would cost. Would I buy again? Yes, BUT I am not thrilled about having to run resistors, but its not the end of the world.

Good:

- Available with Red Lens; May or may not be valuable to you, This was huge for me, my truck is not "murdered out." I did not want smoked tail lights and it seems that most aftermarket options are smoked (or early 2000s goofy plasti-chrome style)
- Beautiful & bright LED lights; when headlights (or parking/running) are on, awesome looking and bright "C"-shape illumination on tail lights
- Has plug for easy install of optional Morimoto Backup bar (I did not purchase)
- Simple install
- I get no light out warning and did NOT make any changes with AlfaOBD (did not change Tail light type to LED)

Meh:
- No documentation. This seems pretty standard. I don't think you'd need documentation anyway. If you do, Morimoto has plenty of install videos.
- A bit pricey @ $500+
- For me, there is a little bit of a gap where housing meets truck body. Not noticeable at all, but looks like it could invite more water in that OEM @ top of light. Probably uneccesary, but I'm adding some 1/4" neoprene weather stripping to back of housing to seal.

Bad:
- Nothing bad to say.

Final Thoughts: Despite the somewhat steep price, very pleased with this purchase and would definitely recommend.

I'll add pictures if there is interest. Anyone have experience with LED 3rd brake lights or fog lights?

Thank you.

-kermur
Thank you for your comprehensive write up. Much appreciated. Gives me some good food for thought in thinking about my own LED upgrades.

blakhra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Haven't posted too much here, but what better time to start than the present!

I have a '23 1500 Classic, and here's what I've learned in the month of ownership so far...

Original equipment: Quad reflector halogen headlights, halogen reflector taillights, halogen interior bulbs.

Interior: Switched out to some Sylvania bulbs I picked up at my local Canadian Tire...they worked, and looked great, but they weren't working right when doors opened. I'd open or unlock the doors, and they would come on maybe 30% of the time. Tried all different light selector dial settings - no change.
Switched those out to Auxito bulbs I grabbed from Amazon, and they look just as good, and have had zero issues - working perfectly just as they should

This was for the 2 x map lights, 2 x footwell lights and 1 x dome light

Exterior: Auxito bulbs in the cargo light positions and the license plate lights. Zero issues at all.
Tried to run my Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 bulbs from my '19 5th Gen, and they would not work right either (no changes to BCM made with AlfaOBD/JScan). Tried installing with the GTR Lighting PWM module, Auxito CANBUS decoder modules and just on their own. They would install, turn on with no bulb out warnings - with the truck off. Start the ignition, after a couple minutes, the bulb out warning would show up and both bulbs would not turn on. Ended up taking them out and just going back to some Sylvania Silverstar ZXE halogen bulbs until my Morimoto XB's show up.

Once I get the XBs installed/aligned, I'll post an update with some pictures

Jpage978

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went thru 2 different sets to find headlights that worked, 3 different sets of taillights before finding set that worked, they worked out the gate, but started to do strange things when weather got cold for whatever reason. When American truck wouldn't refund me for lights, had to go thru warranty claim with Alpharex, I was scared off and gave up

blakhra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Haven't posted too much here, but what better time to start than the present!

I have a '23 1500 Classic, and here's what I've learned in the month of ownership so far...

Original equipment: Quad reflector halogen headlights, halogen reflector taillights, halogen interior bulbs.

Interior: Switched out to some Sylvania bulbs I picked up at my local Canadian Tire...they worked, and looked great, but they weren't working right when doors opened. I'd open or unlock the doors, and they would come on maybe 30% of the time. Tried all different light selector dial settings - no change.
Switched those out to Auxito bulbs I grabbed from Amazon, and they look just as good, and have had zero issues - working perfectly just as they should

This was for the 2 x map lights, 2 x footwell lights and 1 x dome light

Exterior: Auxito bulbs in the cargo light positions and the license plate lights. Zero issues at all.
Tried to run my Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 bulbs from my '19 5th Gen, and they would not work right either (no changes to BCM made with AlfaOBD/JScan). Tried installing with the GTR Lighting PWM module, Auxito CANBUS decoder modules and just on their own. They would install, turn on with no bulb out warnings - with the truck off. Start the ignition, after a couple minutes, the bulb out warning would show up and both bulbs would not turn on. Ended up taking them out and just going back to some Sylvania Silverstar ZXE halogen bulbs until my Morimoto XB's show up.

Once I get the XBs installed/aligned, I'll post an update with some pictures

Going to quote myself on an update.....so the Morimoto XBs look great, but were still throwing a "low beam out" warning if the truck started and the auto function didn't turn on the lights. I tried to uninstall and reinstall them, to make sure all connections were solid, and then they started blinking on and off sporadically....so I am waiting for a refund on those.....

When I was putting my factory halogen housing back in, I decided to try out a set of Auxito bulbs I had laying around, and they worked perfectly...with no canbus decoder or anything. Figured I'd give the Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 bulbs another try, and this time (for some reason), they're working flawlessly on their own...no warnings, no decoder or PWM modules needed. Cutoff looks great, and they're DRL compatible, so they are dim during the day, and go to full brightness when the lights are fully on.

Up next will be high beams and fog lights.

Attachments

• 20230927_211457.jpg
    20230927_211457.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 13

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
2017 - 2500 - 6.4L - Projector housing(s)

Started off the journey wanting to just get that "bright white (not blue)" light output --> to ditch the yellow halogen look.

First crack at it:
- Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 L.E.D.'s for low-beams
- CSP mini L.E.D.'s for high-beams
- Diode Dynamice SSE L.E.D. Fog light kit (White / SAE Fog / Max) for fog-lights

Low-beams:
After installation, I found that while the hot-spot for the Morimoto's was beautiful / BRIGHT --> it was absolutely horrendous as far as light output on the ground directly in front of the truck (leading up to the hot-spot). I was miffed for sure, due to the price!

High-beams:
These are just FANTASTIC! SUPER bright white light output.

Fog-lights:
These are the REAL MVP of the light setup on my truck! I couldn't believe how crazy bright / wide these lights are! They are my favorite!

Second crack at it:
The Morimoto L.E.D.'s (low-beam) had to be returned, I needed something better. Headlight Revolution took them back and allowed me to swap them out for H.I.D.'s instead.
- GTR Ultra H.I.D.

NOW, I have the setup I was looking for! SUPER bright / white with a really nice cut-off line. :cheers:
- GTR Ultra H.I.D.'s for low-beam (55w / 6,000K)
- CSP Mini L.E.D.'s for high-beam
- Diode Dynamics SSE L.E.D.'s (MAX) for fog-lights (6000k)

Jasdon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Good:

Meh:

Bad:

Good:

- Simple install

Meh:
- A bit pricey @ $500+

Bad:
- Nothing bad to say.

Thank you.

-kermur
I just finally joined the forum and apologize I am responding 8 months late. If you are still looking for info on the 3rd brake light, I have the Raxiom Axial LED 3rd brake light installed for about a year and have had no issues with with a bulb out warning. Are the Morimoto resistors still working? I have a set of the Alpharex LUXX tail lights and foud it annoying to keep getting the light out warnings and put my stock halogens back in for now. I am looking around to figure out what resistors to get.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat