Painting/powder coating chrome rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I found a local deal on a set of rims that I'm deciding on buying possibly next week, but I don't want the chrome. I have the time, equipment and skill to spray them myself. What's the best option, powder coat or paint? Do I just need to rough up the chrome and spray? Also will I have to bake them if I powder coat? Thanks
e9032502f12ec8f75fdd7bac501de6f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugged

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best way would be to go get it media blasted. Usually the places are pretty cheap and it will put a good profile on the metal for powder coating. I did mine for my jeep and they charged 10 bucks a rim well worth it for how good they turned out. Plus I didn't have to sand them for days.
I had a connection for the actual powder coating so that part was free-ish.

toolanddiemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We used to do powdercoating at a machine shop I worked at and we would sand blast first then spray the powdercoat and yes you have to bake them in order for the powdercoat to cure. It's really easy but you would need an old oven big enough to suspend the rim. The only problem I see with just scuffing is that you might have some corrosion forming under the chome although those look to be in decent shape.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
We used to do powdercoating at a machine shop I worked at and we would sand blast first then spray the powdercoat and yes you have to bake them in order for the powdercoat to cure. It's really easy but you would need an old oven big enough to suspend the rim. The only problem I see with just scuffing is that you might have some corrosion forming under the chome although those look to be in decent shape.

They're supposedly brand new, I'll see when I look at them. Is a regular paint/wheel paint an option? Or is powder coat the only real option?

toolanddiemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I like the durability of powdercoat, but sure you can paint and put a good clear coat on them. Are you going with black?

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Personally I like the durability of powdercoat, but sure you can paint and put a good clear coat on them. Are you going with black?

Yes that's the plan. I am open to ideas though, I'm gonna look at maybe a sweet dark/slate gray also

toolanddiemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh ok cool yea I don't really have any painting experience beside rattle can and industrial applications but Mabey some paint guys will chime in.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I blasted a set of chrome rims and had them powdercoated black. They came out good. I think I would have been better off having them painted. I lightly curbed one and it scratched off the powder coating. I used the plasti-dip to repair it. if you had to be looking for it to see it. Also after mounting and balancing the tires a couple of times the socket knocked rubbed off the powder coat in the hole where the lug nuts were.

I would say paint them. it would be easier to repair a scratch or a chip. But that is just me. I have the painted black sport rims on my '17 sport. I just wax/seal them every time I do the truck.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'm kinda leaning towards paint. I don't have an oven so I don't want to go through that hassle

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If you dont get the chrome off nothing will stick, having them powder coated would be best but by the time you do that you might as well buy new wheels.

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree, I looked into having my wheels coated and it costs more than new wheels.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I agree, I looked into having my wheels coated and it costs more than new wheels.

I'd just be buying the paint, I don't like paying other people to do work I can do haha

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you considered plastic dip? I did my wheels and they look good. If you prep and apply it correctly it will last a long time.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Have you considered plastic dip? I did my wheels and they look good. If you prep and apply it correctly it will last a long time.

I was considering doing it to my stock wheels, just never got around to it. I figured if I was buying a set of rims without tires on them, I would just take the time and do it permanently

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The only thing that sucks about it is.....When you get new tires it will peel it off. But the product is non committal unlike paint so that's what I like.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The only thing that sucks about it is.....When you get new tires it will peel it off. But the product is non committal unlike paint so that's what I like.

Well I will have to take my truck in to get my tires switched over. And I'm set on black, not really interested in going back to chrome. If anyone sees me putting chrome back on my truck, please know I'm not in my right mind lol