Rims scratched

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike_Rut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Had some new tires put on at costco yesterday. I have a 2021 1500 night edition. They scratched all four of my black rims. If I bought some spray paint, would it be necessary to go through the whole process of sanding\priming painting the rims? The scratches are only on the very outside of the rim next to the tire.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can you post a picture? That’s why I try to buy tires from an independent shop that also deals with custom rims. I learned a long time ago at SAMs that scraping the finish off of the rims is a standard practice for them. Waxing the edge of the rims before going in can also help a little if their shoe pad on their changer is a little dirty or worn.

zrock

Reaction score
go back and have them get the damage repaired. you know how much cosco profits every day they can afford to fix their mistake. This is why i take pictures of my rims before getting tire changes

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you were to paint them yourself I would do a full sand-degrease-wash prep and use a more durable coating like Cerakote. I've never seen spray paint last long, especially without prepping the surface, and 2x especially on wheels.

However, if at all possible I would do what zrock said and try to get them to fix it.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find a wheel refurbishment shop and get an estimate to present to the manager at place of purchase.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reason you don't buy cheap tires from big box stores. Pricey lesson to learn. Good service costs money.