Projector Headlight Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport with projector headlights. I have converted to HID's but the problem was there prior. I've had the truck for six months and haven't said anything but it is now starting to bother me.

The issue that I am having is that there is a dark band moving away from the truck on the drivers side light. The dark area is on the left side of the drivers headlight.It is there with the low and high beams.

I have attached a picture of low beam(left) and high beam(right) with Fogs off.

Does anyone else have this? I did not have this issue on my Durango r/t

I am assuming if I take it to the dealer I will have to put the regular bulbs back in.

Attachments

• Low Beam.jpg
    Low Beam.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 77
  • High Beam.jpg
    High Beam.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 82

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check for obstructions and pull the bulb out and reseat for accurate Fitment.

That is an odd shadow though.

SixPoints_Kev

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Sport with projector headlights. I have converted to HID's but the problem was there prior. I've had the truck for six months and haven't said anything but it is now starting to bother me.

The issue that I am having is that there is a dark band moving away from the truck on the drivers side light. The dark area is on the left side of the drivers headlight.It is there with the low and high beams.

I have attached a picture of low beam(left) and high beam(right) with Fogs off.

Does anyone else have this? I did not have this issue on my Durango r/t

I am assuming if I take it to the dealer I will have to put the regular bulbs back in.

Oddly enough, I have an almost identical problem with my headlights. I have factory projectors and switched to HID's over the weekend. I noticed the shadow/dark band the first time I drove at night. It's on the left headlight only, and in the exact same place. I was thinking it had something to do with the position of the bulb in the projector housing. I may have seated it in the wrong position, if that's even possible. Since it doesn't appear on the right side I'm going to open both headlights and take a look at the positioning of the bulb. May just need to be rotated to a different position. I'm sure anyone on here that's upgraded to HID's knows the bulb tabs aren't exactly a perfect fit for factory. Hopefully that'll fix it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
id check to see if the bulb isnt upside down inside the housing, causing a shadow.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oddly enough, I have an almost identical problem with my headlights. I have factory projectors and switched to HID's over the weekend. I noticed the shadow/dark band the first time I drove at night. It's on the left headlight only, and in the exact same place. I was thinking it had something to do with the position of the bulb in the projector housing. I may have seated it in the wrong position, if that's even possible. Since it doesn't appear on the right side I'm going to open both headlights and take a look at the positioning of the bulb. May just need to be rotated to a different position. I'm sure anyone on here that's upgraded to HID's knows the bulb tabs aren't exactly a perfect fit for factory. Hopefully that'll fix it.

Same here. I fixed it by taking the 3 screws out of the piece the light seats into on the back of the projector and turned it 180 out. Reinstalled the light and it now has a normal cutoff. I think it's just the way they clocked the housing when it was assembled. After all these are for halogens from the factory so they wouldn't have registered the crazy cut offs that happens when you throw the HIDs in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
id check to see if the bulb isnt upside down inside the housing, causing a shadow.

Really can't imagine that scenario The key slots on the back of the housing only let the bulb go on one way

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Really can't imagine that scenario The key slots on the back of the housing only let the bulb go on one way

not really. the HID bulbs arent a perfect fit for the projectors. they can be put on in different orientations. i had a similar issue with the bulb casuing an odd glare and a funky cutoff. i rotated the bulb in the housing and the problem went away.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
not really. the HID bulbs arent a perfect fit for the projectors. they can be put on in different orientations. i had a similar issue with the bulb casuing an odd glare and a funky cutoff. i rotated the bulb in the housing and the problem went away.

Yeah that's what I had to do. I had to take the little black key slot plate off though because it wouldn't let the light "lock" in when I tried to reorient it otherwise. I am running TYC headlights though so maybe it's slightly different then OEM Mopars? I think we are stabbing at the same thing here though, rotate the bulb =problem solved lol [emoji12]

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

not really. the HID bulbs arent a perfect fit for the projectors. they can be put on in different orientations.

Ya...I've somehow "managed" to put bulbs in the wrong way in the past. :roflsquared:

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On the hid bulb try to place it so the electrode is at the bottom. Dont know what would cause the shadow with the halogen bulb though.

OP
OP
L

lfalla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Issue resolved by rotating the bulb. I took the truck back to the place who installed the lights originally and he fixed it. Pics of before and after.
Comments from Lightwerkz Global Inc.
Remove the base plate holding the bulb. Position it so the return wire is in the 6 o clock position and retighten 3 screws. Shadow gone and output brighter.

Thanks Again to all those that chimed in and helped me get this resolved.

Attachments

• 15747367_1299235113433335_4627924830815929785_n.jpg
    15747367_1299235113433335_4627924830815929785_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 43

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I'm late to the game, but looking at it.....and I'm sitting here thinking....."bulb rotation".

Glad to see that Caesar got ya cared for!