rust and body shop fix and ultimately a set of fender flares.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey everyone,

Quick question about rust and fender flares. On my right rear side of my 2011 Ram, I have about a 1 1/2-2 inch section of fender rust on the far side of the lip. I have sprayed rust inhibitor and undercoating on the section. It's not visible unless you look up under the wheel well and look for it. I recently took the truck to a body shop and am having it fixed by the body man. I was thinking about ordering a set of factory fender flares and having him paint them and install them on the truck. I would love to keep the truck for at least another year and a half. Would I be better off ordering the fender flares now or should I wait and see how it progresses? Otherwise, the truck is rust free and someone who's not nearly as particular as me wouldn't even notice this section.

Thanks,

Cecil_

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Are the 11's out of corrosion warranty?? Maybe they would have just started going out... Flares in the long run will be worse for your paint. They hold all of that salt dirt and moisture behind them. I'd pay to have it fixed and leave it. Just my 2cents though

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
5 years - 100,000 miles on rust , and usually doesn't cover bubbles , must be rusted through like an actual hole

But like most warranties now a days on products or motorized vehicles , a good dealer is just about everything

Anyways do a search on rust and rear quarters on the 4th gen , and the support bracket that is spot welded on the top section

OP
OP
Cecil_

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yep that's what I read the way the FCA warranty reads is "must be visable from a complete walkaround of the vehicle;" they have themselves covered to get out of most fixes. What am I looking for if I search "rust and rear quarters on the 4th gen and the support bracket that is spot welded on the top section?" I found the usual cab corner rust, but have not found anything on how the bed is made. Is it made diffrent than the 3rd gens?

Honestly, being six years old and only having one small spot on the inside fender well lip where the plastic fender well cover sits i am kind of impressed, just hate having it.