Soon to be How To: Convert from Chrome Bumper to Sport Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You can't compare the durability of the two.. You can put whatever you want behind that plastic bumper.. But plastic is plastic, and its not very well suited on a truck imo.. It may look nicer/cooler..

Chances of the plastic bumper being all scratched up driving through light brush, or a car just simply touching it as they pull into a parking spot beside you. There is nothing beneficial to having a plastic bumper on a full size truck, other than a look.

(Just to go ahead and cover a future debate, the metal bumpers can be painted body color)

The plastic bumpers look great.
There is nothing wrong with them.
This is directed to the comparison.

IMO

God, stop it with the opinions already.
latest?cb=20150206081048.gif

This will never get old.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't compare the durability of the two.. You can put whatever you want behind that plastic bumper.. But plastic is plastic, and its not very well suited on a truck imo.. It may look nicer/cooler..

Chances of the plastic bumper being all scratched up driving through light brush, or a car just simply touching it as they pull into a parking spot beside you. There is nothing beneficial to having a plastic bumper on a full size truck, other than a look.

(Just to go ahead and cover a future debate, the metal bumpers can be painted body color)

The plastic bumpers look great.
There is nothing wrong with them.
This is directed to the comparison.

IMO

I actually couldn't care less about the durability, I'll go one step further and say they look worse. I'm old school and I don't like full bodypaint trucks just because they don't look like a truck. They look like the front end of a soccer mom's Honda CRV.
You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome!
-Immortan Joe, Mad max
All you urban cowboy 20-somethings can go ahead and flash your blue LED kits at me now :naughty:

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Good luck with the swap. To bad you aren't closer to Vegas I have both my front and rears sitting in my garage with all hardware.

Well that sucks.. Haha.

i have a painted metal lower and the plastic upper and i think it looks horrible, and in regards to durability, we'll agree to disagree. i've seen metal ones all rusted out and IMHO, they don't offer any more protection than their plastic counterparts that come with an impact bar and metal reinforcement

When I went underneath my truck to look at the bumper attachment points, I noticed that the top inside of my bumper already has surface rust.

I honestly think you would get MORE protection from the plastic bumper. I bent the bumper bad enough to have to replace it(in my opinion, I am OCD)at a 5mph impact. I don't think the factory steel bumpers are all that strong as it's made to believe..

I think in a "serious" crash, having the beam that ties the frame rails together would help you more than the steel bumper

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This sounds like something you would tell a wife when she doesn't want you to spend money. "Honey the plastic bumper is much safer, it could be the difference of life or death"

You don't need to convince anyone but yourself ;)

IMO

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck with the swap man. It's going to look good. The sport bumper will look good on that front end. And it won't look to bad even with that chrome grille.

And don't pay no mind to the two forum trolls above. They screw up every thread they come into.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Good luck with the swap man. It's going to look good. The sport bumper will look good on that front end. And it won't look to bad even with that chrome grille.

And don't pay no mind to the two forum trolls above. They screw up every thread they come into.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Thanks!

I'm hoping to get the "RT" grille like in the picture I posted above as well, and at least plasti dip the rear bumper for the time being..

Hopefully it all goes together smoothly

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Damn. Lot of criticism in here...

My truck, my choice. I could really care less about who thinks what looks better. Just wanted to put up a parts list and post some pictures.

No need to be negative about the subject.

Not criticizing you man.. Like I said, I understand why you originally wanted to goto the sport bumper. Just unfortunate that it backfired financially.. It will look great, a lot of work, and I'm sure there will be others that will appreciate the info you posted.

For the rear.. You maybe can consider vinyl wrap. It's a little costly compared to plastidip, but will look better and should last longer.

http://youtu.be/0miIaF36N-g

As far as the r/t grill.. You just need the badge that attaches to it.

I promise you that if you post an offer to trade your chrome inserts for honeycomb, you will get an offer. Just pay shipping.

IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Vinyl wrap may be the way to go on the grille and bumper.. I was thinking about replacing the grille completely, but, the more I think about it, it wouldn't be hard for me to wrap the grille and bumper myself..

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is some great info, be sure to take pix on the install. I really do hate my chrome bumper for many reasons. As for durability on the metal bumper...lol its more like a beer can bumper.

Plastic does provide more reinforcement, but its pretty face is easier to scrape up.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Not criticizing you man.. Like I said, I understand why you originally wanted to goto the sport bumper. Just unfortunate that it backfired financially.. It will look great, a lot of work, and I'm sure there will be others that will appreciate the info you posted.

For the rear.. You maybe can consider vinyl wrap. It's a little costly compared to plastidip, but will look better and should last longer.

http://youtu.be/0miIaF36N-g

As far as the r/t grill.. You just need the badge that attaches to it.

I promise you that if you post an offer to trade your chrome inserts for honeycomb, you will get an offer. Just pay shipping.

IMO
That metal bumper color matched looks really good. Ram should save themselves some complexity and just offer it that way.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That metal bumper color matched looks really good. Ram should save themselves some complexity and just offer it that way.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

It is off by just a tad (color), but it does look really good! Im doing this eventually.

IMO

THRASHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Doesn't Ram offer a paintable version of the chrome bumper. I think it's what they used for the Laramie limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Doesn't Ram offer a paintable version of the chrome bumper. I think it's what they used for the Laramie limited

They do, however, it's still a two piece bumper, and a different look

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Got my bumper, grille, and plastic reinforcement assembly in today. All of the other parts are on their way, should be here next week.

I'm taking the bumper tomorrow to get painted, and hopefully can do the whole front end swap in a couple of weeks when I get a free weekend.

688F2A44-498F-4021-89E4-B77E3EEE08EC_zpsyw2hcqcp.jpg

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Also, I'm going to plasti-dip the grille and rear bumper. I've already got a few cans of black and the glossifier. If that doesn't look halfway decent, I'll either vinyl wrap them, or get a black grille and rear bumper

xbxjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Got my bumper, grille, and plastic reinforcement assembly in today. All of the other parts are on their way, should be here next week.

I'm taking the bumper tomorrow to get painted, and hopefully can do the whole front end swap in a couple of weeks when I get a free weekend.

688F2A44-498F-4021-89E4-B77E3EEE08EC_zpsyw2hcqcp.jpg

take some step by step pics, i'll be doing the same thing in a few weeks

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
take some step by step pics, i'll be doing the same thing in a few weeks

Definitely will do my best to get pictures! I'd like this thread to be refrence for anyone else wanting to do this swap

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any interest in trading your chrome grill inserts for black honeycomb to complete the look?

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Any interest in trading your chrome grill inserts for black honeycomb to complete the look?

I would definitely consider it, where are you located?