Tire wear issues with 2014 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey y'all, long time since I posted here! But anyways, bought my 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins back in April. Truck rides great, doesn't pull or anything funny. I barely (hauled an enclosed car trailer with the car in it about 3 times) use it to haul anything. Really I bought too much truck for my needs, but damn it looks good! But my issue is that this thing is eating the outer edge of both front tires. I've been to the dealer, rotated the tires at 6,800 (manual calls for 7,500) and the alignment checked. They found the right front toe to be off, so they corrected it. I've spent years working on vehicles, was once an ASE master certified technician, and my understanding is that camber is off. Went to another dealer, the one where I purchased the truck, and they openly admitted there "was" a problem but I corrected it when I rotated the tires!! It is now sitting at 8000 miles, they saw it at 7800, and they claim nothing is wrong. But I can see the wear starting on the outer edge of both front tires again!! The rear tires (the ones originally on the front) wore so bad that the outer edge doesn't even to the pavement for 1" of the tread! Anybody else having these issues or heard anything like this?

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no issues like that by my tires seem to be wearing very fast, i'm thinking the stock tires are just garbage

OP
OP
D

DieselRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Andy, is yours a 2500? What tires came on yours? I have the firestone transforce A/T 285/60/20. They say their isn't anything they can do because of the solid front axle having no adjustment for camber

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Andy, is yours a 2500? What tires came on yours? I have the firestone transforce A/T 285/60/20. They say their isn't anything they can do because of the solid front axle having no adjustment for camber

nah i'm running the 1500 with stock Goodyear Wrangler SR-A. the tires seem to be wearing down pretty fast in general but the edges have noticeably more wear and it's all 4 not just the fronts. only have 8000km and i'd say i've lost about 25% of the tread

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 13 2500 has 8500 miles with the same firestones you have. I have not noticed any wear problems. They do suck in the snow and dirt though.

OP
OP
D

DieselRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is a picture of one of the rear tires. It was originally a front tire that spent 6800 miles on the front. It had been on the rear for 1k miles when I took this picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,648
OP
OP
D

DieselRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You can see how the outer edge didn't even touch the dirt in the driveway.

jhorst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man that sucks...its pretty apparent in the pictures you posted, there "is" still an issue. What about air pressure? That dealer seems questionable if they say you can fix an issue with the alignment by rotating the tires. I only have ~ 4K on my 2500, and haven't seen any issues like this yet, but will be keeping an eye on mine now. Is yours lifted?

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would think a camber issue would wear out more than just the outer edge. Plus, wouldn't it take a few degrees of too much camber to do it, something you would not get on a straight axle (unless it was severely bent out of shape). If it is alignment related, it looks more like a toe-in problem to me. It also looks like what happens when someone takes corners too fast (which I am assuming is not the problem here), or even when taking turns normally when the tires are not inflated "properly". I used to get outer tire wear on my old truck (2003 2500 with a CTD) until I pumped the front tires up a little higher, about 5 psi more than I was using.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DieselRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The truck is not lifted at all. As far as tire pressure, I've never seen it less than 77lbs. I do my best to keep them at 80. Especially with the wear issue. And the way I see it, if it were a toe issue, it would wear across the entire tire. That's always been my experience with toe issues, it doesn't just wear the outer edge of BOTH front tires. And driving style, this isn't really a truck I will throw into a turn! Lol. But usually either highway, or very short (less than 3 miles) is where my miles come from. I'm extremely close to work, but if I have to go anywhere it's highway 60mph straight cruising. If the entire tire were wearing, I would just chalk it up to bad tires or something. But to have just the outside edge of both fronts wearing, I think there is an issue. Also, let me say that the inside of the tire looks great! Like the wear is extremely minimal compared to the outer edge. My next step is a long trip, maybe 150 miles non-stop. Then I'm gonna stop and put a heat gun on the tires and see if their is a difference between the inner and outer edge.....thanks for all the input guys, feel free to keep it coming!

OP
OP
D

DieselRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Fairfield Tire Center Inc. this is a pretty good description of alignment issues. Again I'll say it seems to me that it's a Camber issue, just by looking at tire wear. I understand that their are a lot of factors in tire wear, but this is a 57k dollar truck with around 1400 dollar tires that are not wearing properly!

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As weird as it sounds, maybe its to much air 77psi is to much air in your tires.
My 2500 Mega with Ramboxes and 6.4 Hemi weighs almost 8200 lbs without me in it and I run 55 psi Front and 45 psi Rear.
I have the 18's with the Firestone Transforce AT. My tires are wearing just fine at those pressures with 7000 miles on the ticker now. Not to mention it rides great at those pressures.
Yes, I know the stupid TPMS system is going nuts but I have learned to just ignore that now.
Just my 2cent.
I also know that from the way your tire is wearing its like your not running enough pressure. Its worth a try to lower them and see what happens.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your running to high of pressure the center of the tread would bulge out more causing the center tread to wear. Not enough pressure will cause the outsides to wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DieselRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Appreciate the input, but I'll try to run the manufacturers specs when it comes to tire pressure.

Timgco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you're OK on psi. I think this is all alignment. The only time I see tires smoked like this is alignment. I'm sure they checked it out, but in my opinion, someone missed something. FWIW, I work at a 4X4 shop and see a ton of lifted trucks each week. Without seeing the alignment specs, I cannot say 100% that's the issue. I can say that someone should be coughing up some new tires for you though.

OP
OP
D

DieselRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
UPDATE: After trying to work with 2 different dealers, I had a slight issue witha service advisor at the one I'm currently working with. I lost any form of religion I had in a phone conversation with this gentleman. I went ahead and contacted RAM customer service. I have been assigned a "case manager", and have been told the tire issue will be resolved ASAP vs. waiting til I get to 10k miles like the dealer originally wanted. And yea, I 100% believe that it's an alignment issue. Pressure would wear outer on both sides or inner only. Not just one side. But according to the alignment sheets I've been given, it's "within specs".

14 Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Did you ever find a solution to this DieselRam? I have a 14 2500 diesel with the 20" wheels. Front tires wearing excessively on the outside edges. I'm at 25k miles and on my 2nd set of tires.

The stock Firestone Transforce were wearing so badly on front outside edges I kept taking it in for alignments. 2 different dealers, my regular local tire shop, and another Goodyear location. Everyone said it was within spec but the uneven wear still persists.

At 15k miles I thought it was the tires (Firestone) so I pulled them off and put on BFG all terrain ko2. After 10k miles they look the same as the others so it's not a tire issue. The issue has to be with the truck.

Some people will say it's due to the heavy truck and engine but I'm not buying that. I've had a bunch diesel trucks in the past and never an issue with tire wear that couldn't be resolved with alignment.

Can anyone help? A $60k truck that shreds $1600 sets of tires in this fast will not last long in my garage. I love the truck but will sell it if I can't figure this out.

Anyone else have this issue??

Rooster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm having the same stupid problem.. 2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4

At 6800 miles I brought the truck to the dealer for the tires wearing improperly on the outside edge of each of the front tires After much debate (yelling) at service manager he agreed to get it aligned.
When I picked up the truck the paperwork from their alignment shop showed it was out of wack. So 300 miles later I return to the dealer because the tires still look like they are wearing wrong. So the dealer rotated them to the rear so I'd have fresh tires up front. Now at 7900 miles I returned to the dealer and said the tires aren't wearing correctly and the truck pulls very lightly to the right.
Service advisor tells me that three mechanics drove the truck none noticed it pulling and stated that the tire wear seems fine. Yet its uneven and wearing on the outside edges again, so they didn't align it........

DieselRam I'm about to call RAM myself if the dealer can't do anything on the next go around. My rear tires the ones from the front look so terrible there is no way I will rotate them to the front and my fronts now are looking almost as bad as the old fronts!

Dannym181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Same issues.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your vehicle? I'm having the exact same issues.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi Dannym181,
Have you had your servicing dealership look into this concern for you? If you'd like to PM me your VIN, I can look into this a little further for you.