Toyo Open Country??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry, I am sure this has been beat to death, but in searching I was unable to find anything.

Have a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 20s, and I am looking at replacing the stock Wrangler SR-A tires.

I am looking at the Toyo Open Country AT2 tires in P-Metric. Does anyone have these tires and what do they think? I am wanting a little bit more aggressive look, and am not sure if the P-Metric AT2's will provide that. I have seen the LT 33x1250 tires and they look pretty beefy, but I know the standard P-Metric aren't all that beefy.

The Open Country RT is another option, but the price point is a bit much right now.

Also, I am looking at a 2.5 in front level with 1.75 rear lift by rough country. If I went with the 12.5 tires would this be needed?

Thanks in advance.

Pictures would be great too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My tire guy says those are the best tires going. I had a friend who had the MT's and couldn't wait to burn them off so he could go back to the AT, he only ran Toyo's as well. No AT out there has the aggressive look you want, you will want a MT. But most likely they will be noisy. If you are young, maybe that is ok, but if you are a little older, maybe forget the looks and go with the killer function of the AT. Dunno anything about the RT, maybe those will work for ya.

Most guys like the level shocks as well, check them out before choosing a lift.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The RT is an in between. Aggressive looking, but not MT noise. Local shop owner has them on his truck and loves them. The AT can look aggressive if you get the Extreme version. But that isn't offered in the P-Metric size. Only the LT ones.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you get the RT's do me a favor and PM me and let me know how you like'm. I'll be getting tires pretty soon and was likely going with the ToyoAt's, but that RT sounds good. Ask the shop owner if you can drive you around the block on them.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I highly doubt it. He is a cool dude and all. But it is a high end wheel and tire type place. So he doesn't just give the keys to his lifted '15 denali easily or his '16 AMG s coupe for that matter, I have tried that.

The bad thing about the RT is they are pricey, but he loves them so far. They are on back order now.

I am really trying to see if I want to keep the 275/60r20's or the 33x1250. The p-metric AT's are about $100 cheaper then the LT counterpart.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The RT's have a nice look. Here is what they look like on his truck. But at mid $300 a tire prices. The AT2's in standard size are looking to win due to wallet restrictions.
11816282_10156109988420001_7357254684572413793_o.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
LOL, wasn't suggesting you drive it, maybe he can give you a ride around the block.

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
My 37x13.50 mts are quiet imo..duratecs and tkos were louder and much smaller

RamOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I've got the 35x12.5 AT2s on my 20in wheels ('15 Laramie Crew). Noisier than the stock but look much more aggressive!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 150

RamOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
One more pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Upside down, but yeah, the LT rated tires are more aggressive looking like that.

Overall how do you like them though?

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can I run 33x1250 without any lift also? There is a level in the future, but may not be before. I thought I saw it would be ok.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just tossing this out there, bils 5100 aren't that expensive and if you have the shop do it all at once you will only need to pay for one alignment. Ask the forum, one of the most popular upgrades and improves the stock ride quality greatly. I recommend the 2.1 setting if you opt for it. 33's are no problem either way.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My R/t's are wearing pretty good. Noise is nearly non-existent. I've had the m/t's and would probably choose the R/t's over them again.

RamRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 5.7 CC 8-Speed
Sorry, I am sure this has been beat to death, but in searching I was unable to find anything.

Have a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 20s, and I am looking at replacing the stock Wrangler SR-A tires.

I am looking at the Toyo Open Country AT2 tires in P-Metric. Does anyone have these tires and what do they think? I am wanting a little bit more aggressive look, and am not sure if the P-Metric AT2's will provide that. I have seen the LT 33x1250 tires and they look pretty beefy, but I know the standard P-Metric aren't all that beefy.

The Open Country RT is another option, but the price point is a bit much right now.

Also, I am looking at a 2.5 in front level with 1.75 rear lift by rough country. If I went with the 12.5 tires would this be needed?

Thanks in advance.

Pictures would be great too.

I have them on my 15 Rebel, and they are very good. I do not notice any outstanding noise by them at all. Then again, I only have 17 inch wheels.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a leveling kit id either get a taller or wider tire. A 275/65r20 is an lt size and it's around 34" tall, looks good with a level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think I am leaning more toward the 33x1250. Little beefier look. Is that extra weight per tire something I should worry about with any having the v6? I wouldn't think it really shouldn't be, but I have been wrong before.

RamOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Sorry about the pics, whenever I upload a pic it will rotate to a random degree.

As far as fit, you should have no problem with the 33" and no lift. I have the 35s and only get slight rubbing on the front at full lock. I have the factory auto suspension and even when I raise to Off-Road 2 (about 2in) there is still slight rubbing on the front at full lock. The problem is on the plastic tire well, there is a small portion near the cab which is bumped out. I'm planning to drill a small hole and zip tie it back. Once I get around to it there should be zero rubbing.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That does. Even though they are about $400 more, I am thinking of getting the AT2 Extreme's in 33x1250. The regular 275/60 p-metric tread just doesn't do it for me.

nolimits76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I am leaning more toward the 33x1250. Little beefier look. Is that extra weight per tire something I should worry about with any having the v6? I wouldn't think it really shouldn't be, but I have been wrong before.

Define "worry".

Upgrading to different wheels or tires can have an effect on performance and gas mileage. Keep in mind, a "small" stationary weight difference can have a pretty significant difference when you think about the energy and effort it takes to rotate the upgraded wheels/tires.

Does it mean your V6 will break? Not at all. But going from a smaller diameter tire with less weight to a larger diameter with more weight will make a difference. You have two factors working against you here -- the additional weight and the larger diameter. Not to mention it takes more energy to rotate a more aggressive tread vs a smoother one.

This is a big reason you see guys at the drag strip changing out to smaller diameter wheels and paying big bucks for super light aluminum wheels.

But we all have different ideas of "significant". You are probably talking tenths of a second difference in a quarter mile and 1-2mpg difference in most cases. My own 2 cents is it's laughable guys that buy a truck and then b*tch about gas mileage, but I do have issues giving up performance even though you can poke fun at that as well since trucks typically aren't speed demons. With a V6 that has less power than a Hemi setup, this may or may not be a big deal to you but it will have some effect on your performance.