Just installed suede headliner and sound deadening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replaced that awful tan headliner with nice, black suede over the weekend. (Sunvisors, too.) Hardest part by far is scraping off the old foam...
I also installed some 2015 black A-pillar covers, but got tired of waiting for reg cab B-pillars in black so wrapped them in suede as well.

Since I had everything out for the headliner, I also decided to install some sound deadening - was going great until I ran out of material, but still very noticeable difference.

Still need to finish off some painting of the clips/hooks, but my first headliner turned out well.

Enjoy!

IMG_3021_zpslowtvt2x.jpg

IMG_3023_zpsj6m45fdu.jpg

IMG_3007_zpsyvztbdz1.jpg

IMG_3006_zpseuu62njc.jpg

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good stuff. How hard is it to fit the headliner through the door?

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks badass, I was gonna do the same thing

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wrap that beige bezel! Looks good!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

JAlva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks very nice, how long did it take you ?

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
well **** i really want to do that now. So you took off the old material and the foam? What did you use as adhesive, 3m glue? Guessing you just used a xacto knife or something to peel off the foam?

How did you do the visors? Did you peel off the foam and old material on them too? I'm not sure how to go about painting the vinyl on the visors.

Im tired of waiting for the black interior part numbers also.

About how much material did you need for the reg cab so i can judge how much ill need for my quad cab.

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a product called "Forever Black". It is pretty cool. It is a trim dye. So faded bumpers and stuff. Jeep fenders. Top bed rails on our trucks. I did one C-pillar and it matches almost perfect for color. It's like 14-20 bucks on Amazon.

OP
OP
DERJ

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good stuff. How hard is it to fit the headliner through the door?

It's not too bad as long as you take out one of the seats. I took out the passenger seat and only thing I had to work around to get it in and out was the rearview mirror. Disconnecting all the wires was fairly easy, but getting the screw holes lined back up for the sunvisor clips was a bit of a pain.

well **** i really want to do that now. So you took off the old material and the foam? What did you use as adhesive, 3m glue? Guessing you just used a xacto knife or something to peel off the foam?

How did you do the visors? Did you peel off the foam and old material on them too? I'm not sure how to go about painting the vinyl on the visors.

Im tired of waiting for the black interior part numbers also.

About how much material did you need for the reg cab so i can judge how much ill need for my quad cab.

Peeling off the old cloth was easy, but the foam sucked. After trying a few suggestions on Google, the best method I found was using the rubber nobs from a pair of shoes to scrape it off. It also kept me from damaging the fiberglass layer underneath. Some additional pics below, but this one part took several hours (with breaks...)

For the sunvisors, I just carefully pried them open and used the old material as a template. The foam is not glued on those like the headliner. I did end up using a little glue to keep the new material in place, but the foam backed suede I had was thicker than the original material.

The upper B-pillars were easy once I got all the seat belts unbolted, but I used suede without foam backing for those. This is where I "practiced" to get used to how fast the glue got tacky and how the suede bends and wrinkles. I really didn't want to wrap these, but it was easier than I thought.

For glue, I used that 3M Hi-Strength 90 glue - I found it was easier to glue about 6 inches at a time so I could keep it pulled tight without wrinkles. One thing: be sure to have some glue remover (or carb cleaner) to clean your hands/gloves free of glue - else you'll get glue all over from smoothing out the surface.

I ended up getting 3 continuous yards of foam backed suede (60" wide) but I think I could have gotten it all done with 2 yards if I didn't wrap the B-pillars. But I also wanted to make sure I had a little buffer in case I had to practice re-wrapping. For a quad cab, I think I would double that.

IMG_3014_zpshnkbk0rw.jpg

IMG_3016_zpszvg18k3d.jpg

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
interesting, I'm going to have to try it. Now would you say I could get away with leaving the foam on and just pealing off the material, or does some foam come off with the material?

Where did you get your suede?

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks nice. i did the same thing with my z 5 years ago.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replaced that awful tan headliner with nice, black suede over the weekend. (Sunvisors, too.) Hardest part by far is scraping off the old foam...
I also installed some 2015 black A-pillar covers, but got tired of waiting for reg cab B-pillars in black so wrapped them in suede as well.

Since I had everything out for the headliner, I also decided to install some sound deadening - was going great until I ran out of material, but still very noticeable difference.

Still need to finish off some painting of the clips/hooks, but my first headliner turned out well.

Enjoy!

IMG_3021_zpslowtvt2x.jpg

IMG_3023_zpsj6m45fdu.jpg

IMG_3007_zpsyvztbdz1.jpg

IMG_3006_zpseuu62njc.jpg

Awesome man! This is one mod I always wanted to do, but never got around to it! Great job!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man I would love to do this. The suede would be a nice touch, but just blacking out the interior would be sweet. Do you have a part number for the pillars?

OP
OP
DERJ

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
interesting, I'm going to have to try it. Now would you say I could get away with leaving the foam on and just pealing off the material, or does some foam come off with the material?

Where did you get your suede?

None of the foam cane off when I peeled off the tan cloth. I Googled around but could not any good experiences with glueing on top of the old foam and I did NOT want to have to do it again...

I picked up the suede from here:
60" Wide Suede Headliner "Onyx / Black"

Awesome man! This is one mod I always wanted to do, but never got around to it! Great job!

Thanks, buddy!

Man I would love to do this. The suede would be a nice touch, but just blacking out the interior would be sweet. Do you have a part number for the pillars?

Part numbers were from here:
http://www.ramforum.com/f133/black_interior_pieces_2016_rams-80931/
Again, the upper A-pillars were all that were available (and I got tired of waiting...)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just realized for any and all folks looking for black interior trim pieces that the rebels have black trim throughout. If you search for rebel parts you can black the roof out with factory parts, so long as you have QC or CC...

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks SWEET!!!!! This is also on the list of things for my truck as well. Nice to see its not as hard as I was fearing.

KA1OTE

Ram Ham
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Really wish I could figure out how to view these pictures. I hate Photobucket.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really wish I could figure out how to view these pictures. I hate Photobucket.
You missed out man, shoulda been there 3 years ago