Question...before I break my upper console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys I need a little help before I break something..I have a 2011 Laramie that I got yesterday And I need to pull the UPPER console down to access a hot wire for my radar detector. I did a search here first but the only post I saw just said to pull it down...well I tried just pulling it down but stopped when I didn't feel any give and didn't want to crack it. Does it just pull down because a Google search had another post from another forum and the guy said on his 2011 you take out the map lights and there were screws under them...well I did that but didn't see any screws. Any help would be appreciated...Attached is a picture of the console in question .

Attachments

• IMG_20150630_210841_817.jpg
    IMG_20150630_210841_817.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 95

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The black portion of the console is what pops out. If you have auto trim removal tools you won't scratch the plastic. If not try to use something rigid and plastic to wedge that piece down enough to get your fingers in.

It does just pull down and it does feel like you are going to break it because it has a tight hold. I did this on my 2014 without breaking it to see kind of bulb was in the always on interior pinhole light.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
So the outside "frame" that surrounds the center black portion stays put ? Wow I never would have done that. I was trying to pull the whole thing down thinking the outer frame held it in.....

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So the outside "frame" that surrounds the center black portion stays put ? Wow I never would have done that. I was trying to pull the whole thing down thinking the outer frame held it in.....

So apparently you can do it by removing the black bezel or the entire frame. It looks like I told you the hard way to do it (which is the way I did it). Try this route and remove the entire console...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2i9vtrOV4U&feature=youtu.be

OP
OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well let me tell you what I found out...if you remove it by the Black inner portion leaving the bezel in place you MUST remove it from the front (windshield side) as the rear has tabs that will break in a heartbeat....AND if you remove the whole unit including the bezel you MUSY remove it from the REAR as the front has tabs that will break, I removed the whole unit my grasping it on the side in the rear and pulling the crap out of it...you can see in the picture the rear just push in ..there's no tab to break off

Attachments

• 2015-07-01 10-04-28-648.jpg
    2015-07-01 10-04-28-648.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 76

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Did you break anything? If my post lead to you breaking something I apologize...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk