Does A New 6.4 Have Special break in Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Just brought home a new 2500, 6.4 yesterday. The salesman who has been selling RAM hemis for over 20 years told me the oil is a special break in oil and should be run for at least 4,000 miles before changing. After that you run what is recommended in the manual. The manual shows the milage change at a bit longer but no mention of "special' oil at the beginning. Some on this forum have suggested changing at 1,000miles. Does anyone know if there is something in the crankcase other than the PUP 0-40 oil? And have a response to his comments? I know salesmen are just that but this discussion was well after the deal was struck. I want to get started right with this engine and need to get a supply of oil and filters since I do my own oil changes to be sure it is the correct oil and the drain plug gets tightened.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally am not a fan of pure synthetic in the first 5000 miles, actually 10,000 miles with the modern low tension cylinder rings.
Using a blend or better yet just conventional will usually result in a better ring seating.
During break in, it's all about ring seating.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2023 manual just says to use "0W-40 API certified MS-12633 oil, with the API donut on the back label".

FYI, MS-12633 is now called MS-A0921, so either one will suffice.

I researched the snot out of this and there is only one oil I found other than Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that fits those spec - Valvoline Full Synthetic 0W-40. The back label is the only one other than PuP that I've found that actually says "Meets or Exceeds ALL REQUIREMENTS of...Chrysler MS-12633", instead of just saying "Is Suitable For...".

But nothing in the manual says your warranty is void if you use another brand. Especially if you keep maintenance records and stay on top of your due diligence.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Remember, he's a salesman.

Yes but I don't see how that applies; if anything, a "salesman" would rather someone come in after 1000 miles to waste an oil change vs encouraging them to hold off for a bit.

Don't know whether they put special oil in or not, but I changed my oil after the first 1000 miles and then the second time was like 4000 miles after that.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
When I rebuild an engine in an older car, say 50's,60's and 70's I use a non detergent dino oil for a short period. Maybe 500 miles. But these engines have tighter tolerances so I get that silicon oil would be used but how do those rings seat with that slippery stuff? I have been on the TDR site for years since I have the 2004.5 Cummins and there is at least one retired FCA tech on that site that might know the answer for sure. Might apply to the 6.7 as well. If I find anything concrete I will post it here. Until then, maybe someone on this site knows for sure. I'm game for whatever works and keeps my warranty in effect.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m sure they test the engines and tear them down to make sure. That’s a whole division of engineers.

I ran original oil for 4000 miles. The dealer told me I could run it much longer but I did a change. I go 5-6 thousand with Pennzoil full synthetic now. I also started using lubegard biotech with the first oil change…

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes but I don't see how that applies; if anything, a "salesman" would rather someone come in after 1000 miles to waste an oil change vs encouraging them to hold off for a bit.

Don't know whether they put special oil in or not, but I changed my oil after the first 1000 miles and then the second time was like 4000 miles after that.
That would be a very idiotic salesman. The OLM calls for 10K; at 4K OCI you're dumping good oil.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My self first thing I look too see is when the vehicle was made to determine how old the oil is based on date of manufacture, example when I purchased my 2006 I found out the oil was already 6 months old so I change it at approx. 1200 miles, on my wife's 2021 I found out the oil was 9 months old, so as part of the deal to buy I made the dealer to agree to change the oil & filter, no way was I going have her run that oil any longer then a week to 10 days, let alone 12 months or 10K salesman said it was good for...

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That would be a very idiotic salesman. The OLM calls for 10K; at 4K OCI you're dumping good oil.

The point is, if the salesman tells you you don't need to change your oil early, then he's being honest, he's not "being a salesman".

And I'd never run the first few OC's at 10K. Flush that stuff out, UOA reports clearly show the benefit of this with very high wear materials present at the start of life.

Further, I'd never run ANY oil change to 10k in a hemi, that's just begging for lifter issues.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The point is, if the salesman tells you you don't need to change your oil early, then he's being honest, he's not "being a salesman".

And I'd never run the first few OC's at 10K. Flush that stuff out, UOA reports clearly show the benefit of this with very high wear materials present at the start of life.

Further, I'd never run ANY oil change to 10k in a hemi, that's just begging for lifter issues.
Totally agree!!!

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
The TDR diesel forum agrees with the posts here that break in oils have not been used in likely 30-40 years. So my being told that by the salesman was .....wait for it....Snake Oil. But, that first oil change might be good to do before the FCA recommendation. Say, maybe 4- 5,000 miles. I'm at about 250 miles now and driving like an old lady per the manual. That was not tough to do on my way back from the purchase due to stop and go traffic on the freeways. Trying to keep it around 60MPH max for awhile yet. Tried the tow/haul button this AM on a downhill grade and noticed the rpm went to 4K. Took it back out right away. So far sounding good under the hood.

Looked under the truck and saw the diameter of the drive shaft. Holy Moly that thing is big. Did not measure but could be 5 inches or so.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The TDR diesel forum agrees with the posts here that break in oils have not been used in likely 30-40 years. So my being told that by the salesman was .....wait for it....Snake Oil. But, that first oil change might be good to do before the FCA recommendation. Say, maybe 4- 5,000 miles. I'm at about 250 miles now and driving like an old lady per the manual. That was not tough to do on my way back from the purchase due to stop and go traffic on the freeways. Trying to keep it around 60MPH max for awhile yet. Tried the tow/haul button this AM on a downhill grade and noticed the rpm went to 4K. Took it back out right away. So far sounding good under the hood.

Looked under the truck and saw the diameter of the drive shaft. Holy Moly that thing is big. Did not measure but could be 5 inches or so.
Actually, some folks drive it with Tow/Haul engaged all the time, especially in city traffic. High RPM's isn't going to hurt a thing for short duration. These engines are made for towing and hauling. There is a reason they work the way they do. Instead of Tow/Haul, you can activate your ERS system, too, when going downhill and just keep it in a lower gear. Your RPM's will also climb, but that's how it works.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Your avatar shows a 2004/5 truck? What exactly are you running now? Year, trim, and and, lol. I changed my oil on MY HEMI after 1st 1,000, than after 4,000 more, now am diligent and do 5,000 mile OCI and rotate tires also. That just be how I do it. If for no other reason, it just gets soooo hot here and definitely working the oil. But than I's just a BOIRD. OP: Do what makes you happy.

ADDED: Term break in oil ancient. But I wouldn't go too far on changing, as the engine breaks in and all the wear and tear and initials parts seating in, but, DO what works for U.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I missed that memo :rolleyes:
Here you go.

“For Gasoline Engines, under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.”

Source: 2022 owner’s manual.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here you go.

“For Gasoline Engines, under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.”

Source: 2022 owner’s manual.
That is the same on my 2019. The 6.4 in the 2500 have 8000 OCI listed, I think the 1500's show a 10,000 mile OCI. I know that is what my wife's durango shows anyway. I never go close to 8000 on my truck. I do 5000, which is basically every 6 months for me. So, I just change oil every spring and every fall. No way would I go 10,000 on either my truck or her durango.