Ventilated Seats Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abeirnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I have a new 2017 Ram 1500 Sport. One of the options we have is the leather ventilated seats. I am trying to determine how they work.

Does the A/C have to be on for them to work? I am trying to find out if you can have the windows down and the ventilated seats turned on.

Any details would be much appreciated,

Thanks, Aaron

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
i haven them on my 2015 sport and yes they can be turned on at any time

I am not sure they are even cool by A/C air, i thought it was just a blower pushing air through the perforated leathers.

I guess if it is A/C cooled and you have the A/C off, than its just going to push the ambient air through the vents

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They don't pump air from the ac. The just blow the cabin temperature air through the seat.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Welcome to the fray!

There are two ways to manually activate the ventilated seats. Beneath the three knobs are two rows of buttons. The two with the seats and fans. Left one is the driver's seat, right one is the passenger's seat.
2013-ram-1500-laramie-ventilated-seat-button.jpg

Second way is by the on-screen controls. Same icons as the buttons, seats with fans.
maxresdefault.jpg

Either way can be done without any A/C turned on, and/or windows down. You can even have heat blowing through the vents and have them turned on. The only thing you can't do is have the heated seats turned on at the same time as the ventilated seats. And as others said here, its not cooled air. Its just fans blowing air through the seats.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The vented seat option PULLS cabin air through the seating surface. Simple test, turn on the vented seat and place a small piece of paper against the vented back rest. The paper will stay, turn off the vented seat and the paper will fall off.

OP
OP
A

abeirnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the information guys!
I must say, pulling air through the seats does seem backwards....

71_340

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
They may just push or pull cabin air through, they cool good when you run the A/C.

I can tell you that much, they work a whole lot better then the true (chemical reaction) cooled seats in my 2015 King Ranch I traded in. Ford has a real problem with the air channels collapsing (even after a TSB under warranty).

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyway to have both seats come on high ventilated setting upon vehicle start, similar to heat option? Only driver seat automatically starts on low setting. Should be tied to outside temperature for auto start.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have them in my truck but I do in my SRT Charger. If you remote start the truck the drivers will turn on high provided you turned that option on. When you start the truck it will revert to the low setting

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have them in my truck but I do in my SRT Charger. If you remote start the truck the drivers will turn on high provided you turned that option on. When you start the truck it will revert to the low setting

Mine works the same on my 2017 Ram but I believe it’s only when the outside temperature is warm enough

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has to be over 80 for the seats to start the vents and under 40 for the heater to come on when the car is started

Reactions: JB1

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine start off at low when remote starting...pretty annoying

dan schoenherr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
sorry to necro a thread, but for those who have the cooled seats, are they worth going for the laramie? I do reside in Arizona

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine start off at low when remote starting...pretty annoying
Better than my 2009, they don't turn on automatically at all.

I also think they may have been squished or something after a decade of work, and may need some refurbishment unless my expectations for how much air they should flow are unrealistic.

When you put a sheet of paper say an inch from the seat and let go, does it stick to the seat?

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
sorry to necro a thread, but for those who have the cooled seats, are they worth going for the laramie? I do reside in Arizona

Yes!
I made the "mistake" of letting my wife go with me when choosing my business truck. I was going to get a basic work truck, with the right gearing, long bed, etc...
They had a Laramie on the lot with ventilated seats, the Travel Guide thing (Weather map, fuel price info, etc). She said "you will be in your truck more than you wont, you need this". She was right. It's a game changer.

It's the difference between feeling hot and sticky on a hot day, and being baby-powder dry when riding in the truck. Even with leather, which is somewhat porous, wherever your skin is against a non-breathing area on a seat, perspiration will occur. This cuts that perspiration to nearly zero, and although it took me a day or two to not feel "chilled" by the blowing air, I've come to really like the seats, especially after getting in after doing something strenuous.

By all means, get them!