Gas vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always (up until brandon) been able to get diesel within a few cents (+/-) of the cheapest (85/87) gas, and certainly Always cheaper then premium. Right now it is slightly more then 85/87 and about the same as mid 89 octane gas (it varies +/- a few cents).

I'm currently not around home (9 hours away for work) but a quick look on gas buddy's website 2 popular gas stations near home has 87 octane at 3.09 91 octane premium at 3.79 and diesel at 3.83. We still have winter blend gas though so it's always cheaper then summer blend (Memorial Day until a little past Labor Day). I'm not arguing with ya just stating the prices in my area for reference. I haven't traveled much besides for work and even then I don't really pay attention to fuel prices when I go to different areas.

Anyways I wouldn't buy a truck based off what fuel is cheaper or which gets better mileage. Especially not for 8k miles a year.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yeah, not sure what crap hole that guy lives in but up until the current administration diesel has always been the same or cheaper then gas except a few rare occasions. I've lived, traveled and worked all over this country for the past 30+ years. Also there is data to back that up, it's an easy search. It's laughable to say it's always been $1+ more then gas the past 30 years. Lol

Very Nice...
You insulted the Man and his location at the same time. Missed insulting his Mother and his Dog though - rookie mistake.

For what it's worth, I have to agree with Tulecreeper. In my area Diesel normally ranges from $0.50 to $1.00 more than 87 octane. And yes I am a Diesel guy and I do keep track of prices. In the past couple of months Diesel has been coming down. It's currently around $0.50 more than 87 octane.

Just for grins, I decided to check prices around Georgia, Mobile, and Sparks NV using Gasbuddy. The table below summarizes the results.

Diesel is more expensive in all locations EXCEPT for Sparks NV. As Motoman501 indicated, things are a bit strange there. Diesel prices are about the same as my location. It's gas prices that are out of sight.

Sooo, not sure what crap hole you call home (insult intended), but put up or shut up.

Location87 Octane87 OctaneDieselDieselLow Price DifferenceHigh Price Difference
Low PriceHigh PriceLow PriceHigh PriceDiesel - 87 OctDiesel - 87 Oct
Indiana$ 3.31$ 3.75$ 3.85$ 4.24$ 0.54$ 0.49
Mobile, AL$ 2.94$ 3.19$ 3.29$ 3.89$ 0.35$ 0.70
Atlanta, GA$ 3.28$ 3.85$ 3.79$ 4.59$ 0.51$ 0.74
Savannah, GA$ 3.29$ 4.09$ 3.64$ 4.49$ 0.35$ 0.40
Augusta, GA$ 3.15$ 3.53$ 3.40$ 4.15$ 0.25$ 0.62
Sparks, NV$ 4.39$ 4.99$ 3.95$ 4.39$ (-0.44)$ (-0.60)

Attachments

• thumbnail.png
    thumbnail.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail1.png
    thumbnail1.png
    154 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail12.png
    thumbnail12.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail11.png
    thumbnail11.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail10.png
    thumbnail10.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail9.png
    thumbnail9.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail8.png
    thumbnail8.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail7.png
    thumbnail7.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail6.png
    thumbnail6.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail5.png
    thumbnail5.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail4.png
    thumbnail4.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail3.png
    thumbnail3.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pretty much everywhere I've been for the past 30 years.
Not in my part of AR. The delta between regular and diesel is about 25 cents a gallon currently. I have seen them be almost $1 a gallon difference, but that is very unusual. Even with the bigger difference, I was still doing better at the pump compared to the 3/4 ton gas trucks I've owned.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What type of gas are you guys comparing to diesel? Reg, mid grade, premium? I see premium mentioned which in WI by me is 91 no ethanol and usually .90-1.10 higher then regular 87 octane with 10% ethanol. Diesel is usually $1.00 more a gallon then 87 octane here during the "winter" blend months. During the summer with summer blend gas, diesel is usually a lot closer or the same as regular gas.

I really dont get the comparison between premium (which here is 91) to diesel prices in this situation. The hemi doesn't need premium. I would definitely be running the recommended 89 octane pulling the load the op wants too though. Around me 89 octane is usually 20 to 40 cents more then 87.

At only 8k miles a year fuel cost wouldn't even cross my mind between gas or diesel.

I would go diesel though with that heavy of a load or look into renting or subbing it out like was mentioned.
I compared to premium because my other two vehicles require it ('21 Armada & '13 Acura TL), so that is the only thing I buy.

But to that point.... yesterday I noticed that diesel here is $3.49/gal and regular gas is $3.07, so it's $.42/gal cheaper than diesel. Premium here is $3.71 so it's $.22/gal more than diesel. I do remember a couple of years ago where we went through the summer here with diesel being about $.8/gal cheaper than regular unleaded. I miss filling my truck up for less than $40.

I wouldn't be concerned with fuel mileage with that low of miles but even if you did...

If you averaged 10 mpg towing with the diesel and averaged 8k miles at $3.50/gal that comes to about $2,800 in fuel. It's likely to get a little better than that.
If you averaged 7 mpg towing with the gasser and averaged 8k miles at $3.29/gal that comes to about $3,760 in fuel. For gas to be the better option for towing in terms of fuel economy, it would have to stay about $1.05/gal cheaper.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Where I'm at (and throughout most of my home tri-state area, because I enjoy traveling, even if it isn't for work), diesel hasn't been routinely cheaper than gasoline since the '90s. Diesel is routinely $0.50-$1 more per gallon, sure there have been a few times (for a few weeks, maybe a couple months at most) where diesel was cheaper but it's been a rare thing - it is FAR from the norm. The last time I remember it happening for any length of time was back during the oil price skyrocket of late '08, when gas skyrocketed but diesel took its time climbing. For a while there diesel was anywhere from $0.50-$1 cheaper, but once gas prices peaked diesel caught up and passed it again, then took forever coming back down.

The summer that things opened back up after the first couple waves of Covid had the same effect for about 2 months, diesel was cheaper by like $0.25-$0.50, but that lasted about 2 months and it swapped back.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Gas or diesel, up to the buyer. Unless towing in mountains or constantly churning through mud, gas could work for low miles. Bigger issue is payload, 2500 is way over burdened as loaded trailer is placing at least 3700 pounds into the truck, with people and stuff that maxes even a 3500 SRW and exceeds a 2500 by a grand. A 3500 DRW is the only option unless dropping the bed, then a 3500 SRW could work.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Gas or diesel, up to the buyer. Unless towing in mountains or constantly churning through mud, gas could work for low miles. Bigger issue is payload, 2500 is way over burdened as loaded trailer is placing at least 3700 pounds into the truck, with people and stuff that maxes even a 3500 SRW and exceeds a 2500 by a grand. A 3500 DRW is the only option unless dropping the bed, then a 3500 SRW could work.

Remember that OP is using a flat-bed gooseneck trailer. This allows for some flexibility in how things are loaded to reduce pin weight and keeping some of the weight off the truck.

I do agree that a 3500 would be better for the stiffer rear suspension. But all things considered, a 2500 MAY work for them.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Remember that OP is using a flat-bed gooseneck trailer. This allows for some flexibility in how things are loaded to reduce pin weight and keeping some of the weight off the truck.

I do agree that a 3500 would be better for the stiffer rear suspension. But all things considered, a 2500 MAY work for them.
Yes I was considering that, but my assumption is that the crates with grapes are maxed across the length of the trailer. We loaded bales of hay, and my experience is that less trips equals more money which results in a higher pin weight due to that.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I was considering that, but my assumption is that the crates with grapes are maxed across the length of the trailer. We loaded bales of hay, and my experience is that less trips equals more money which results in a higher pin weight due to that.
And, I think he said towing 25k...that is 3500 territory all day, probably even dually territory.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
After reading this whole thread, and adding in 4 decades of owning gas and diesel pickup trucks, I think the short answer to his "gas vs diesel" question is:

The gas engine truck will cost less to own and operate. The diesel engine truck will do the heavy work better. :cool: Each person needs to choose which is most important to them and purchase accordingly.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think I'd want to also consider... what's the operating cost of making more trips with the gasser versus less trips with the diesel?

Unoccupied Mass

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You've enjoyed your diesel, right? I enjoy mine, and I hardly ever tow anymore! I tried a gasser for a while. The high RPMs and constant shifting, even unloaded, were unappealing to me. I paid the extra for a diesel. Sometimes it's not just about numbers. Life is short, find happiness where you can and as they say, "Buy once, cry once."

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the 2500 Cummins, and i can see 18-20 MPG unloaded long drives. Towing 10k i usually see 12MPG

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You've enjoyed your diesel, right? I enjoy mine, and I hardly ever tow anymore! I tried a gasser for a while. The high RPMs and constant shifting, even unloaded, were unappealing to me. I paid the extra for a diesel. Sometimes it's not just about numbers. Life is short, find happiness where you can and as they say, "Buy once, cry once."
I never feel mine shift.

GTXJosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the 2025 “Ramcharger” concept catches on, as I kinda expect it may, and you power the generation with diesel, is it still considered a diesel for question like these? Big locomotive type exhaust stacks seem to be all the rage for the diesel “upgraders” anyhow so just use some locomotive parts

Can’t say what future laws may require, but freight train like hauling potential is there (in a few years of changes- if they bring the concept to the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks or larger

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK folks, all you ever wanted to know about gas and diesel pricing is available right here:

You can graph to your hearts content. I'll get it started. Here's reg gas vs diesel in all areas from 1994-2024. As you can see, for most of that time, except the early years diesel has been more than gas.

You'll also notice that it has nothing to do with who's administration is in power or any of that other BS. For those who insist on blaming the current administration, just look at the price differences during the last one.

If you dig down into the details, you'll notice that diesel pricing follows heating oil pricing, so in the winter, diesel is more. Personally, when I was living in the northeast, I haven't seen cheaper diesel since the 80's or maybe the through 90's. The cheap diesel went away once we started switching to low sulphur diesel.

chart (2).png

Mark47ak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Long time 2001 Ram 2500 diesel owner, I've owned a towing company for 17 years, I now own a winery and need to tow heavy loads on my 25k gvw gooseneck trailer.

The 2001 has seen better days and we are looking at getting a new truck. Prices are steep so I want to make sure I get what is best for my needs.

We put about 8,000 miles a year on our truck. 5,000 of that comes during the grape harvest season where we are traveling 3-4 hours each way to pick up grapes and we make that trip 5 days a week for 6 weeks a year. We really work the truck during harvest. We have a dual wheel-dual axle trailer that is 25k gvw but weighs around 4500 lbs so our cargo capacity is around 20k. It is a gooseneck trailer and out load is in 4 ft square bins that pack and stack easily so we are able to pull maximum weight with very little tongue weight on the truck. (Yes, we know enough to have a safe amount of tongue weight. We definitely do not need the weight carrying capacity of a dually and have never felt like we overloaded the 2500 with too much weight. The truck needs to pull hard and that is it. The trailer has very hearty disk brakes on it so the truck isn't doing a lot of the stopping for us.

With the extra cost of the Cummins engine and diesel prices typically being higher than gas over the last few years, I am wondering if it makes economic sense to buy a diesel again?

What kind of empty and heavily loaded mileage are you guys getting in the new trucks both in diesel or gas? I don't mind if the gas rigs are a bit underpowered for climbing hills, I am willing to slow down a bit nd, like I have to do with the 2001, I am also willing to drive the shoulder in 4wd low for the real steep stuff.

I love the Cummins as well as the next guy but I am trying to make a solid business decision and keep pride an ego out of the equation.

Thoughts?
BUY Diesel, company write off. BEST FOR DAILY towing.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Long time 2001 Ram 2500 diesel owner, I've owned a towing company for 17 years, I now own a winery and need to tow heavy loads on my 25k gvw gooseneck trailer.

The 2001 has seen better days and we are looking at getting a new truck. Prices are steep so I want to make sure I get what is best for my needs.

We put about 8,000 miles a year on our truck. 5,000 of that comes during the grape harvest season where we are traveling 3-4 hours each way to pick up grapes and we make that trip 5 days a week for 6 weeks a year. We really work the truck during harvest. We have a dual wheel-dual axle trailer that is 25k gvw but weighs around 4500 lbs so our cargo capacity is around 20k. It is a gooseneck trailer and out load is in 4 ft square bins that pack and stack easily so we are able to pull maximum weight with very little tongue weight on the truck. (Yes, we know enough to have a safe amount of tongue weight. We definitely do not need the weight carrying capacity of a dually and have never felt like we overloaded the 2500 with too much weight. The truck needs to pull hard and that is it. The trailer has very hearty disk brakes on it so the truck isn't doing a lot of the stopping for us.

With the extra cost of the Cummins engine and diesel prices typically being higher than gas over the last few years, I am wondering if it makes economic sense to buy a diesel again?

What kind of empty and heavily loaded mileage are you guys getting in the new trucks both in diesel or gas? I don't mind if the gas rigs are a bit underpowered for climbing hills, I am willing to slow down a bit nd, like I have to do with the 2001, I am also willing to drive the shoulder in 4wd low for the real steep stuff.

I love the Cummins as well as the next guy but I am trying to make a solid business decision and keep pride an ego out of the equation.

Thoughts?
I think you need probably should’ve asked for those who have actually owned and pulled heavy loads with both. Some don’t have a clue what it takes financially to own a diesel.

I have owned and pulled with both. Given the amount of miles you drive per year I would buy a used pre-2012 dually diesel. One poster mentioned you’ll never recoup the additional cost of going with a diesel only driving 8k a year. I would say you wouldn’t recoup the cost of a new vehicle regardless of engine type.

If new is the way you want to go I would lean towards gas but there’s a couple of reasons you may want to consider diesel. One is availability. Might be hard to find a gas dually with 4:10 rear axle ratio (which would be a requirement for a gasser imo). Also resale value is going to be horrible if it ever comes to that. Those trucks are hard to sell because very few want them.

One more thing to consider. Ford has a gas engine (7.3) that has more towing power than a 6.4 Hemi and comes with an available 4:30 rear axle ratio. Honestly that would be a better choice for what you are doing IMO.

Reactions: 3TV

Vern Losh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
A couple of years back I was looking at a 2500 gas or diesel. I talked with my old fire department mechanic with over 30 years working on gas and diesel trucks. He has a 2500 6.4 gas. I asked him about the difference in towing. He said exactly what a few others have said. If it is your daily driver and tow only one a month for camping go gas. If you are towing most of the time with the truck go diesel. He even had a spread sheet on gas vs. diesel costs to prove it. I'd go diesel in you situation.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own a 6.4 and had a 6.7 prior. For my use the 6.4 is attractive. Due to the frequency of towing heavy you describe, 100% you should go with the diesel. In my view there is no debate to be had here.