$50 cai

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KBExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys so I got bored today and decided to mess with the truck and went to autozone and bought a $40 spectre filter, some hose clamps 3ft of tube, and a coupler; and this was the end result.

egy9usyg.jpg

a7y4uhur.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
heck yea, BIG savings :D

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
looks awesome!

does it flop around or is it secured somehow?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Someone beat me to the "like" switch.

OP
OP
KBExperience

KBExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's pretty secure because the filter is kind of stuck in the hole on the left.

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like it man! Definitely cost efficient

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks good and great bang for the $ but do you think it will help? Sucking hot air out of the engine compartment?

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks pretty good!
The only thing is I would bet the air is warmer than using the stock air box since the air is ported from outside the engine area in the stock air box.

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know but I think maybe the S&B gets actual cold air. Somebody has a link to a video on here that says that cold air intakes may actually decrease horsepower. It is on two cars and I don't know if it is real or not but it does make sense that sucking hot air out from under the hood gives you less power than a stock air box that gets cooler air from outside of it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
There are 3 benefits of a quality cold air intake.

1. Quality filter. Stock paper filters are nice because they are cheap, but they dont flow as well as a quality oiled or dry aftermarket filter

2. COLD air intake - you want to be sucking in cold outside air, not stagnant engine heat. The 2 best in this reguard are the Vararam and the S&B. Vararam pulls air directly from the front of the grille and the filter is sealed off against the hood to keep engine heat out. Once that air comes in the grille and into the filter tray, it has nowhere else to go but straight down your throttle body. Next best would be the S&B which pulls air from the fender like the factory airbox, and also has a downward facing scoop that pulls in air from under the bumper. This is in front of the engine, so it will not pull in any engine heat.

Some of the cheaper kits like K&N dont have a closed filter and will bring in some of that engine heat. Volant is nice, but it only pulls air from the fender like factory, so I would take the S&B over this.

3. Cold air intake kits replace the turbulent accordian shaped factory intake hose with a much smoother flowing, smooth intake hose. The less resistant you have on the air coming in, the better.

Cascade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the K&N CAI installed and I believe it actually does a very good job of keeping the engine heat out. Using my superchips programmer it says my intake air temp is about 45 when its about 40 outside with the truck completely warmed up doing city driving, havnt checked it on the freeway yet though

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
That's not bad at all. Its fine in cooler climates, but we have tested them down here in south TX, and the heat is very noticable once it warms up.

Cascade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just out of curiosity, if anyone else can pull their IAT from a programmer and post it with what intake you have and ambient temp I think it be interesting to compare the numbers. Sorry for thread jacking

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You could do the PVC pipe method to get rid of the factory piece and see if that makes a difference.

$miley

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a drop in K&N in and I think I feel more than with the K&N CAI I took out. I really could not take the noise it was making with the CAI. Next I was thinking of trying to replace the stock tube with the K&N tube keeping the stock box and see if that helps at all.