$40 Lug Nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrapo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, I was in need of 4 lug nuts on my truck - standard 1500 lug nuts for the wheels on my 2020. Long story short - the lock key for my wheels got lost and the dealer removed the locking lugs with a master key. I don't need locks so I decided to just buy 4 standard lug nuts from the Ram dealer parts department. They quoted me $40 per lug nut! Unbelievable - that's $160 for 4 for the walk-out price (self install).

I was speechless, was willing to pay a small premium for genuine OEM plus the convenience of not going to the local Autozone or Amazon. Needless to say I left without the lug nuts, went to Autozone down the street, and for $15.49 plus tax bought an exact OEM replica 4-pack.

What in the world is Stellantis thinking with their parts prices? last month they quoted me $25 for an oil drain plug on my 2019 wrangler. It's a $5 part everywhere else. I get charging a premium, but not on the order of 5-10X of what the market will bear. WTF?

OP
OP
jrapo

jrapo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was trying to do the dealer a solid for not charging me to remove the lost key lug nuts and give them some parts business, even if at a premium to show my gratitude. Oh well, not at that price!

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never buy from the dealer "parts" shop if you can avoid it. They will definitely rake you over the coals - all for having "genuine" MOPAR - which half their crap is made in China anyway - you're better off going aftermarket with a US company than with the dealer's junk.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The worst part, they got the keys there are only a few options per application. Some only have ONE options, most have like 4 different keys that's it. 45 smokes if you lose your key. The service industry is completely dead, but it has been dead and dying with dealers for a long time. Make sure you tell them this is the reason why you wont buy a new car from them ever again. Complete sets are 25, I'd die ten times before spending 40 bucks per tire for a lug nut, but thats me.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
i was trying to do the dealer a solid for not charging me to remove the lost key lug nuts and give them some parts business, even if at a premium to show my gratitude. Oh well, not at that price!
No good deed goes unpunished.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Years ago, A dealership rotated & balanced my 2016 Ram tires.

I left the dealership & had to drive a round trip of 200 miles the next day.
By the time that i returned to San Diego, my forearms felt like i had been chopping wood for a week.
I returned to the dealership & told them that something was wrong with the balance.
I also told them that it was noticeable at 50 mph & above.
They said that they could find nothing wrong & i asked them to move the front tires to the rear & it stopped shaking.
They insisted that nothing was wrong, but they refused to take it onto the highway, they stayed in the 35 mph roads.
That dealership does have the HUNTER ROAD FORCE Balance machine, but they have no one that knows how to run it properly.

They gave me a bill for Balancing the wheels & tires, they charged me for a box of the glue on weights !!!

I took the Ram to Discount tire, they found that the dealerships tire changer had some how ripped the original weights off using the machine.

I tell the dealership that i don't want them touching my tires & rims, but someone is lowering the air pressure in my tires every time i go there.
I am running approximately 700 pounds more than the door sticker, all of the time.
I run 3 more pounds of pressure than the door sticker states.
When i am on a job, i drive at about 55 mph, with my sign up.
I don't know how much weight that puts on my rear tires.

1703474571648.png

Last edited:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think your dealer is more of a dealership than most. mine here charges the same as the online MSRP $$
1703479334225.png
Years ago, A dealership rotated & balanced my 2016 Ram tires.

I left the dealership & had to drive a round trip of 200 miles the next day.
By the time that i returned to San Diego, my forearms felt like i had been chopping wood for a week.
I returned to the dealership & told them that something was wrong with the balance.
I also told them that it was noticeable at 50 mph & above.
They said that they could find nothing wrong & i asked them to move the front tires to the rear & it stopped shaking.
They insisted that nothing was wrong, but they refused to take it onto the highway, they stayed in the 35 mph roads.
That dealership does have the HUNTER ROAD FORCE Balance machine, but they have no one that knows how to run it properly.

They gave me a bill for Balancing the wheels & tires, they charged me for a box of the glue on weights !!!

I took the Ram to Discount tire, they found that the dealerships tire changer had some how ripped the original weights off using the machine.

I tell the dealership that i don't want them touching my tires & rims, but someone is lowering the air pressure in my tires every time i go there.
I am running approximately 700 pounds more than the door sticker, all of the time.
I run 3 more pounds of pressure than the door sticker states.
When i am on a job, i drive at about 55 mph, with my sign up.
I don't know how much weight that puts on my rear tires.

View attachment 534104
Hey your setup is a lil more fancier than mine hahah
1703479378045.png
part time for my bro-in-law
1703479463648.png

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the reasons I stopped taking my truck to the dealer, is that the idiots there were over torquing the lug nut by at least 50-100ft. lbs, in addition to over-torquing other screws/bolts - then trying to tell me that stuff was broken because it was "old". MORE torque on a screw/bolt/nut does NOT mean better. It means STRETCHED threads and cracked nuts (not a joke!). On a wheel rim, if one nut splits/cracks or one bolt fails, the remaining nuts/bolts now have to take the load of the failed nut/bolt. Add highway speeds. Next nut/bolt in line then fails because it's over-torqued as well. And so on, till you have a wheel come flying off while you're doing 55+ mph... I think you can imagine what catastrophic event happens... Regardless of what wheels you are running, torque on most RAMs is about 110 ft. lbs. (excluding special cases). You should always 1) consult you owner's manual or find a reliable source for torque values, and 2) use a reliable torque wrench to get the right torque. If you're going to use a dealer or tire shop, just be aware that they don't always think that YOU know better than they do! Lastly, if you just put your wheels on, RECHECK the torque in about 500 miles or so. Note: Torque breaker extensions LOSE accuracy as they age. You should replace them every few years or sooner if you use them all the time, or check the calibration on them with a torque calibration machine. If it reads more than about 5-10 ft. lbs. under/over, then replace it!

Last edited:

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid 22$ at AutoZone
One of the first thing I did when I got my Ram was to take those stupid wheel lock nuts off and the remaining "capped" lug nut. I replaced them all with McGard chromed steel lug nuts. Even made in USA! Those OEM "capped" nuts can give you fits as they age because of moisture and over torquing they can separate.

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are 6 lug wheels differant at 110lbs?
I'm 5 lug at 130-135 area.
3 Tire tire stores all went to 130 (and I read the charts at those stores) when I asked for when i do a recheck when I get home and everywhere online says 130-135lbs for my truck.
Am I wrong ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
3 Tire tire stores all went to 130 (and I read the charts at those stores) when I asked for when i do a recheck when I get home and everywhere online says 130-135lbs for my truck.
Am I wrong ?
The cone wheel nuts call for 120 to 140 lb-ft
Flanged nuts call for 130 to 160 lb-ft
That's going by my 700 page printed owners manual for my 14, generally 130 lb-ft is the reconmended torque value

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Am I wrong ?
No. Ram owner's manual for 2020 5th gen calls for 130.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The cone wheel nuts call for 120 to 140 lb-ft
Flanged nuts call for 130 to 160 lb-ft
That's going by my 700 page printed owners manual for my 14, generally 130 lb-ft is the reconmended torque value
No. Ram owner's manual for 2020 5th gen calls for 130.
My owners manual says 130 ft-lb (176 N·m) for cone, and 129 ft-lb (175 N·m) for flanged. :D Really? With a 1 ft-lb difference, why even bother to list them both? :rolleyes:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I went with Gorilla black solid lug nuts for my summer set up.
Was cheap as heck for the full set of 20, and looks fantastic, too.

I'll never understand why chrome lugs are put on vehicles with black rims, it just looks horrible IMPO!

I use the original OEM lugs with those horrible chrome caps for my winter 17's.