2012 2500 6.7 cummings exhaust/DPF question HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazycarl7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8 8 speed
So hear is the deal, and bear with me since I am the proud owner of my first diesel truck and still learning. I just purchased a 2012 6.7 2500 big horn. The owner (80years old) passed away and the son in law was selling the truck for the family. He said he had extras in the garage from the truck that will go with it. When I picked up the truck, he had the original exhaust in the bed of the truck. He told me thE old man upgraded the exhaust to get better MPG. He said that is all he did, no chip at all. The truck only has 18k miles on it. My question is, does this mean the DPF was removed? I'm guessing that voids the warranty? Should I just put the old exhaust back on? I'm a little confused with the whole DPF thing and warranty. Also, since I have to get the truck inspected, will it pass inspection without the DPF? And lastly, if I do put the stock exhaust back on, can the dealer tell that it was off at one point? Sorry for all the question. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 139

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Based on your picture, it looks like the DPF is off. With that off, t should be throwing a check engine light right now. Only way to get rid of that light is with a tuner or with a sim kit.

Passing your inspection wont be a problem as long as you don't have a check engine light.

As for your warranty, I would just ask your local dealership. many dealerships down her actually prefer you to remove the DPF because of how many problems guys have had with the factory DPF system. You will get a different answer from every dealership, so you are just going to have to talk to them about this to see what your local dealer says.

OP
OP
C

Crazycarl7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8 8 speed
So I do not have a check engine light yet. Would that be on on the time? So if I put the stock exhaust back on, would a dealership know if was off by hooking it up to computer? I don't want to chip it, since that would leave a footprint

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
If you don't have a check engine light, then there is either a tuner installed or the previous owner installs sims to trick the computer into keeping the engine light off. Putting the stock exhaust back on will not leave any marks in your computer unless there is in fact a tuner installed on the truck. If there is a tuner installed, then it doesn't matter if the DPF is there or not...the dealership will know that the tuner was there.

Again, many do not care though, so I would just ask your local service guys about it. You will enjoy that truck much more with the DPF off and a tuner installed, so if they let you get away with it, then it is a win/win.

OP
OP
C

Crazycarl7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8 8 speed
So how do I know if there is a tuner installed or Simms? Is it an obvious add on that I can see?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
You wont know about the tuner unless they left the monitor in the truck. The simms should be plugged into the DPF wiring harness that is just above the DPF delete pipe.

OP
OP
C

Crazycarl7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8 8 speed
So I don't see a sims wiring harness at all and there is no tuner that I see

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Do you see the open plugs where the DPF sensors used to be plugged into?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
With the DPF removed, it will throw that check engine light the minute you start the truck. Only 2 ways around that are with simms or a tuner, so it has to have 1 or the other. Anyway you can call the guy you bought it from to ask him how they removed the check engine light?

OP
OP
C

Crazycarl7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8 8 speed
With the DPF removed, it will throw that check engine light the minute you start the truck. Only 2 ways around that are with simms or a tuner, so it has to have 1 or the other. Anyway you can call the guy you bought it from to ask him how they removed the check engine light?

Will the check engine light go off or would it stay on the entire time? The guy that owned the truck passed away (80 years old). Short of using a juji board, i have no way of knowing. I'd hate to take it to the dealer and ask them to sort it out. They may say though luck warranty void. Have a nice day

OP
OP
C

Crazycarl7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8 8 speed
So here is what is see. When I put the key in ignition and turn a half a turn, the check engine light is on. Once I start the engine, it turns off. I'm guessing that since I don't have a sim, or a tuner, this is why it is coming on? My question is, can I just have the stock exhaust reinstalled by mechanic and have the check engine light turned off? Would a Chrysler dealer know that I ever had the aftermarket exhaust? Truck only has 18k miles and I don't want to void the warranty.

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
That engine light is normal it will come on and go off after you start the truck. There is a tuner installed just now you don't know what one. I would ask what tuners are doing DPF delete software. Can't be many. And call them with the vin of your truck and see if they have a record of it