2017 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummings towing 17 ft cargo trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
Hi, I own a 2500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab diesel and will be making a trip from MN to FL towing a 7x17 ft cargo trailer. Since we haven't really towed much with the truck I am wondering about tire PSI. Per mfg my tires should be inflated 60 psi front and 80 psi back, cold. Is that still true when towing with tongue weight and payload? Also, my husband thinks we will be fine without a weight distribution hitch but I'm not so sure. He feels like the trailer isn't so long that it will cause much of an issue. It's a trailer that we are renting so we can't do anything permanent to the trailer. Thoughts? Thanks.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
YES. The door sticker does not distinguish loaded or unloaded. As much as I would like a lower setting for NOT towing for more comfy ride daily

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hi, I own a 2500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab diesel and will be making a trip from MN to FL towing a 7x17 ft cargo trailer. Since we haven't really towed much with the truck I am wondering about tire PSI. Per mfg my tires should be inflated 60 psi front and 80 psi back, cold. Is that still true when towing with tongue weight and payload? Also, my husband thinks we will be fine without a weight distribution hitch but I'm not so sure. He feels like the trailer isn't so long that it will cause much of an issue. It's a trailer that we are renting so we can't do anything permanent to the trailer. Thoughts? Thanks.
So you really haven't given us a lot of info to go on here. We don't know how heavy the trailer is, how much weight is going to be in it, etc. etc.

That said, a 7X17 cargo trailer shouldn't be all that heavy, and you can adjust the weight to get proper hitch weight. I don't think I'd worry about weight distribution for that trailer.

As for tire pressures, there are a LOT of opinions on how to run your tires, and you're going to probably get a bunch of them just by asking. Some live and die by what the door sticker says, and it's not a bad idea, really. It will just ride REALLY rough when you're unloaded with tires aired up to 80 psi in the back.

Personally, I run mine about 65 psi at all four corners year-round, with tire rotations every 7500-10k miles. Keeps them all worn pretty evenly. With our current camper (a 35ft travel trailer with about 800-ish lbs of tongue weight) I don't bother airing up the rear tires, but if we go to something heavier (which we are debating) then I will when it's time to tow.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The door sticker recommendations for tire pressure are for when hauling or towing at the maximum weight. If you run them at those pressures empty I wouldn't bother adjusting them when towing this trailer. A lot of people, including myself, run much lower tire pressures when empty and bump up the pressures some when towing heavier.
Total weight of the trailer is important, but generally that size trailer is not very heavy. The average trailer of that size often only have a GVWR of 7,000 lbs., which is based on the rating of the axles. Most of these only have a pair of 5 lug 3,500 lb. axles, so 2 x 3,500. Even if it's a 10,000 lb. rated trailer and you have it loaded to capacity it's still under the towing capacity of the truck. I don't know what you are hauling in that trailer but even at 7,000 lbs. I wouldn't be too concerned at all.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I pulled my 7X14 dual axel trailer with my old 06 2500 4x4 CTD, I set air to 65 in all 4 ( see no reason you to need more then 70 psi rear with your trailer unless you got more then 2 axels) from IA to OR, I did not use a WDH, but then I personally loaded the trailer thus no need for one nor did I even know trailer was behind me except when I went down the Continental divide.

Roll Tide Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 18 2500 if the rear tires get below 74psi the tire pressure monitor alarms. I can't remember what the front has to be set at, but around 65psi I think

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357