2016 Ram hood scoop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to get the Mopar cold air intake with hood scoop, but I have concerns about the hood scoop during car wash and rain conditions of water coming through the scoop and wetting intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Which scoop are you talking about? Mopar doesnt have any functional intake hoods.

OP
OP
BIGMIKE27

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mopar makes an active ram air hood scoop for the sport hood63527b1561711d6d7587824fd38abe6a.jpg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would be concerned also. Take a look at volant cai, they used to have an adapter for forced air through the grill area. Not sure if they still do or if it is a decent set up.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I want to get the Mopar cold air intake with hood scoop, but I have concerns about the hood scoop during car wash and rain conditions of water coming through the scoop and wetting intake.

Use a filter sock if you're concerned about water.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you sprayed a carwash wand into the hood scoop on purpose you aren't going to get water into it. I had functional scoops on my Challenger and I've never had a problem. People always way over think this and I'm sure MOPAR tested it and thought about the water problem when they designed it.

You also have to buy the MOPAR CAI for it to work. It's a lot of money for a little air intake and not worth it unless you just want to say you have a working hood scoop....

OP
OP
BIGMIKE27

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the Mopar CAI and hood scoop is very pricey, I started considering the hood scoop option thinking that the active grill shutters should cut off some of that air flow to a K&N cold air intake

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the high flow filter?

No it wouldn't. The filter sock is usually less restrictive to airflow then the air filter. It's just meant to keep out water. I had one for my 2014 and it worked great.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Haven't there been people that have shown that there is actually a vacuum effect on those hood nostrils based on them being in a low pressure zone?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't there been people that have shown that there is actually a vacuum effect on those hood nostrils based on them being in a low pressure zone?

I know it's been shown over on the Challenger forum.... not sure about the Ram.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you sprayed a carwash wand into the hood scoop on purpose you aren't going to get water into it. I had functional scoops on my Challenger and I've never had a problem. People always way over think this and I'm sure MOPAR tested it and thought about the water problem when they designed it.

Back in the day the design group at Chrysler- John Wehrly, **** Maxwell, Tom Hoover among others had to prove to the brass that the huge lift-off hood scoop and air cleaner would not allow the '69 440 6bbl engine to be flooded out in a rain storm, etc... and it was proved with a hose running water into the scoop that the drains would move enough water to not flood the engine, thereby getting one stamp of approval on the design.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Same Chrysler guys came to the conclusion that the boundary layer effect coupled with a relatively short intake plenum length caused the GM/Pontiac Ram Air package to be largely ineffective and that's part of the reason why the lift-off hood scoop was so tall. I can tell you that when the center post is cracked out on a lift off hood the top of the scoop balloons up from catching fresh air big time. Yet I sold my 69 6bbl road runner and kept my '69 RAIII Judge...

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have both MOPAR pieces. the CAI and the scoop. I say i have never had a water problem with rain or car washes. However the CAI made a huge difference in performance. Just seat of the pants feel. When i added the scoop only difference was a sound difference, i could more clearly hear the engine suck in more air. didnt really feel anything performance wise. IF i had to do it again i would only buy the CAI.

tonys ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have both MOPAR pieces. the CAI and the scoop. I say i have never had a water problem with rain or car washes. However the CAI made a huge difference in performance. Just seat of the pants feel. When i added the scoop only difference was a sound difference, i could more clearly hear the engine suck in more air. didnt really feel anything performance wise. IF i had to do it again i would only buy the CAI.

I thought CAI was more for sound....but you are saying it made a huge difference. You got me thinking now. I like night and day difference in upgrades. Can you tell me more info? More horsepower, better gas mileage, better for what else?

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a9db5d330c2bd1e3a4c4fb4a4d74049f.jpga97896698d0c253c35a613f74c647e7f.jpg

Got this good and took the inside cover off that directs the air to a typical K&n cold air intake ... So now it goes directly to the engine bay where it meets my vararam. Hoping to see some Gains once I get my long tubes installed and have Hemifever read my log and tune it ! What do u guys think??

OP
OP
BIGMIKE27

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a9db5d330c2bd1e3a4c4fb4a4d74049f.jpga97896698d0c253c35a613f74c647e7f.jpg

Got this good and took the inside cover off that directs the air to a typical K&n cold air intake ... So now it goes directly to the engine bay where it meets my vararam. Hoping to see some Gains once I get my long tubes installed and have Hemifever read my log and tune it ! What do u guys think??
that hood is bad ass, where did you get it