2017 hemi break in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoop14

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 f150
Engine
ecoboost
"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After
the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph
(80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided".

I floored it today from almost a stand still, like what they said not too do. Would that hurt it doing it once do you figure? And right off the lot i was driving on a highway going 55mph to get home and it says not to do that for the first 60miles. Think that would affect anything? Also when they mean full throttle do they mean when i'm at like 30mph floor it till i hit 55, then coast back down to 30 and rinse and repeat?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
This is always a big topic but I drive mine how I am going to drive it from the get go.

I have a heavy foot and dont baby anything at any time. I got on my truck pulling out of the dealers lot with 60 miles on the clock.

You shoild be just fine just dont redline the motor for awhile.

OP
OP
S

stoop14

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 f150
Engine
ecoboost
But it says to full throttle if you do that your going to red line it wouldn't you.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Brief full throttle is what it says. So you can do that but keep it under the redline (the trans will shift before hand to protect the engine) as it may float a valve. Brief full throttle is actually beneficial for helping seat the rings.

OP
OP
S

stoop14

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 f150
Engine
ecoboost
its hard to give it full gas but stay under 60mph you get thete in 3 seconds

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
Drive it like you stole it

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I never once & still to this day have never gone Full Throttle ---23K miles on the clock!
(No reason too)

I was told after 200 miles---->Get her on the turnpike & open her up (No Cruise Control) 55-85 mph! No Full Throttle. Solid-Very Brisk /Sporty runs of @ least 10-20 miles at a time.

Then park her @ give the 5.7L a total cool down period. (This step I feel is very important)!
Do this as often as possible until the 1K mile mark was reached & then change oil & filter!

I actually did this routine until she reached 5K miles.
Changing the oil/filter @ 3K-5K-10K miles then following the OLM.

Today the 5.7L is extremely strong & uses NO oil between the 8K mile OCI!

Everyone has their own so called breakin ritual!
(It is very interesting to hear/read about all of them)!

I know for Some/Most this is a hard concept to grasp. (But) Just because the methods we use are not the same that U used or U expect others to use! Does not mean our methods are wrong. Ridiculing is easy! Attempting to understand is the hardest concept !
Most pick the easy route.

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Answers will range from drive it like you stole it to drive it like Grandma would. I try to follow the owners manual but that is not always possible either. My truck was driven off the dealers lot from another city and was put on the highway immediately. I doubt the guy that drove it the 125 miles or so to get it here varied his speed or babied it. I am sure he drove it like an ass and set the cruise as soon as he hit the highway. I am not too worried.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Answers will range from drive it like you stole it to drive it like Grandma would. I try to follow the owners manual but that is not always possible either. My truck was driven off the dealers lot from another city and was put on the highway immediately. I doubt the guy that drove it the 125 miles or so to get it here varied his speed or babied it. I am sure he drove it like an ass and set the cruise as soon as he hit the highway. I am not too worried.

Ya, you should see how they drive them off the assembly line! And in Dearborn Mi where the F150 is built they drive them from the plant to storage lots off the plant property on public streets and they drive them like they stole them and then leased them! Cars hauler drivers are not kind when loading and unloading them. And don't forget the porters that drive them around the dealership, they aren't too worried about break in either.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Opinions vary, but i will share a funny story:

In high school, there was a kid who got a BRAND new 350z for his birthday and his mom or something dropped it off during lunch. A big group of kids walked out to check out the new car yada yada.
Kid hops in and starts revving the engine like a ******* mad man, and for a real long time.
Just sitting there, punching the throttle again and again.
Rolled forward, revved high and popped the clutch.... BANG. White smoke billowing from the engine bay.
Kind of shock and awe, lots of laughs on my end. Dumb kids