Break In after New cam and lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Finished my motor up and days away from start up.

I used Mopar cam and Mopar lifters. What is the break in procedure for first start up?

All I am reading is pedal to the floor and let the motor crank for a bit to build pressure before actual start. I read the motor may be loud for like 20 minutes at idle until the lifters pump up slapping and ticking. Is this true?

I see some guys manual prime the motor? How? I see some guys just crank it for a few with the starter then put fuel pump relay back in.

Any help would be appreciated

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just crank it over for a bit build pressure they are roller lifters no real break in required older engines had flat tappet lifters and required break in Just make sure you change the oil after about 1k miles.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
^agreed.
The method of holding the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking is called "Clear Flood" . When performed, the PCM turns off the injectors so it will not inject fuel, hence not start. 15-20 seconds should be enough.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It will still be spinning the cam and the lifters will still be dry no?

Dont think pressurizing the oil system with the garden hose pump is necessary?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It will be fine oil pressure builds quick once fired up However most people put a light coating of grease on the cam when installing but you will be ok.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

It's not necessary to manually prime the engine before starting,but if you have the pump and ability to manually prime the engine first,it's never a bad idea to do it. You can turn a cheap garden sprayer into a pump to manually prime the engine through the oil pressure sensor hole,if you're so inclined to build yourself one.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I had to rebuild the top end on my Mercruiser, I had to put all my lifters in a small bucket of oil to fill them until all the bubbles stopped. These aren't prepped the same way??

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When I had to rebuild the top end on my Mercruiser, I had to put all my lifters in a small bucket of oil to fill them until all the bubbles stopped. These aren't prepped the same way??
Some guys say don’t bother take them out of bag and slap them in

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I soaked my lifters for probably a week before i got around to installing them,and when we fired it up,it was dead quiet right from word go. I even worked the plunger in the lifters a couple times while they were soaking.
Some outfits say don't soak them,some outfits say soak them,but i know i've always soaked lifters before install,as it was common practice in the flat tappet cam days,and early roller cam days.