4.7 Engine Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
So i am a Third Gen guy but ive come over here to see if any of you guys have any idea or answers to my problem.

I have been trying to find a tick in my engine for almost half a year now. Done lash adjusters and timing chain still ticks. Take out the rockers one at a time on the drivers side and the first cylinder intake rocker out and the tick is gone. So i figure it have something to do with the first cylinder valves. So i bought a whole good parts engine. And switched the heads - both sides. And get it put together. And it still ticks. Maybe a tad quieter.... but other wise the same. So now i think i am going to switch the engine blocks. The guy i bought the engine from was in the processes of doing head gaskets. But ended up just buying a newer non 4.7 dodge lol.

So should i switch blocks now or do you guys have any other ideas??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIZID_Zpw0

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly that doesn't sound like an exhaust leak to me. From what I can hear in the video, it's too high pitched to be a rod knock or a wrist pin. Maybe a collapsed lifter?

Does it change at all when engine is warmed up?

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have replaced all the lifters. Once on the old heads and the new heads came with new lifters. No it does not change hot or cold. Always the same. Goes away at 2000rpm.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Maybe the rocker is cracked.
try putting the rocker from another on there & see if it still makes tick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe the rocker is cracked.
try putting the rocker from another on there & see if it still makes tick.

They all got switched with the new heads....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd be stumped, high Moly Redline Oil fixed mine but if you already replaced lifters that may not help. You'd be surprised how many people here it has helped, my sounded as bad as that easy and now purrs. Maybe go up to 5w30 if you haven't already. It is rare but the injectors can tick as well, don't know if you would sound like that. I certainly wouldn't change the block until it failed because of a noise, turn up the radio and let it fail, lol.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
. Take out the rockers one at a time on the drivers side and the first cylinder intake rocker out and the tick is gone. So i figure it have something to do with the first cylinder valves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIZID_Zpw0

First cylinder related for sure.

Pull the plug wire on cylinder 1 (power to coil) and tell us what happens.

IMHO, too deep of a noise to be valve train related, especially since you've replaced it all,,,,,,,

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use the same cam?
Could be worn down a little.

New to me cams on the heads.

I'd be stumped, high Moly Redline Oil fixed mine but if you already replaced lifters that may not help. You'd be surprised how many people here it has helped, my sounded as bad as that easy and now purrs. Maybe go up to 5w30 if you haven't already. It is rare but the injectors can tick as well, don't know if you would sound like that. I certainly wouldn't change the block until it failed because of a noise, turn up the radio and let it fail, lol.

That is good to know!! Yea im running 5w30 in it already.

I have not come across that before. The injectors ticking...... i might swap them with the other ones. Lol that is what everyone says after i explain the whole thing to them.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It ticks just the same.

Coil power wire or just the spark plug wire? (I assume you have 2 plugs per cylinder)

,,, sure is loud when you are under the truck,,,,,,, definitely not what I would call a 'tick',,,,

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMHO, too deep of a noise to be valve train related, especially since you've replaced it all,,,,,,,

Some people have told me that it is a valve train tick. Other have said no but i agree with you especially since i have replaced it all.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coil power wire or just the spark plug wire? (I assume you have 2 plugs per cylinder)

,,, sure is loud when you are under the truck,,,,,,, definitely not what I would call a 'tick',,,,

I have one plug per cylinder. So i unplugged both i would assume.

Yea it seems to be louder right by exhaust pipe underneath. it is louder there then by the cylinder one. I have a stethoscope with a metal probe. and you can kinda tell by cylinder 1 that it is from there. but you can hear the "tick" everywhere on the engine.

but i was just thinking.... would a weak oil pump be able to cause this.....

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have one plug per cylinder. So i unplugged both i would assume.

Yea it seems to be louder right by exhaust pipe underneath. it is louder there then by the cylinder one. I have a stethoscope with a metal probe. and you can kinda tell by cylinder 1 that it is from there. but you can hear the "tick" everywhere on the engine.

but i was just thinking.... would a weak oil pump be able to cause this.....
You could always get an oil pressure gauge and see exactly what the pressure is. I doubt its the oil pump unless that's a common thing with the 4.7. Usually oil pumps are pretty resilient...

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have changed the oil pressure sensor already. But my Edge chip says the oil pressure is always 47psi. Hot or cold. Even with the new sensor.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have changed the oil pressure sensor already. But my Edge chip says the oil pressure is always 47psi. Hot or cold. Even with the new sensor.
Sorry, what I meant was get a test guage that screws in where the oil pressure sensor goes to see what the actual pressure is. That way you know exactly what the oil pressure is.

Just throwing this out there, my buddy is a tech at a Ford dealership and he told me years ago Ford started using an oil pressure sensor that would read approx 45psi as long as the sensor detected more than 5psi on most cars. It was essentially an idiot light in guage form. The reason they went to that is when they had an actual oil pressure gauge on the dash, people were bringing their cars in for "low oil pressure" when the engine was hot, which is totally normal. So they made it so the gauge displays "good" oil pressure all the time. You can tell if this sensor is being used by revving the engine up a bit when its warmed up. If the gauge doesn't move, its essentially an idiot light. If it fluctuates with engine rpm its an actual oil pressure gauge. Anyways, Dodge may have something similar in the 4.7 of that era.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, what I meant was get a test guage that screws in where the oil pressure sensor goes to see what the actual pressure is. That way you know exactly what the oil pressure is.

Just throwing this out there, my buddy is a tech at a Ford dealership and he told me years ago Ford started using an oil pressure sensor that would read approx 45psi as long as the sensor detected more than 5psi on most cars. It was essentially an idiot light in guage form. The reason they went to that is when they had an actual oil pressure gauge on the dash, people were bringing their cars in for "low oil pressure" when the engine was hot, which is totally normal. So they made it so the gauge displays "good" oil pressure all the time. You can tell if this sensor is being used by revving the engine up a bit when its warmed up. If the gauge doesn't move, its essentially an idiot light. If it fluctuates with engine rpm its an actual oil pressure gauge. Anyways, Dodge may have something similar in the 4.7 of that era.

Sorry for the misunderstanding:) That makes total sense!! Because it goes to the middle of the gauge and stays there. I will get a real gauge and see.

Thanks for that!!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for the misunderstanding:) That makes total sense!! Because it goes to the middle of the gauge and stays there. I will get a real gauge and see.

Thanks for that!!
No worries, hope it helps! Let us know what you find. You got me baffled with this one since you've already replaced the usual tick causing components...

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No worries, hope it helps! Let us know what you find. You got me baffled with this one since you've already replaced the usual tick causing components...

Thanks.

Dont worry!! I will be shouting it from the tops of the mountains lol!!

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i have the old engine out and the new old one here. Both have the heads off. When i go to turn them over by hand my original engine turns over harder then the new old one. Mine engine has 150'000 km (95'000 miles) on it and the replacement has 190'000 km (117'000 miles). Is this normal for that extra mileage? Also the replacement has oil gunk in the oil filter and the oil pump it black with oil. My original is clean.... Any ideas?