2013 4.7 knocking, any help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to replace those, and I most likely will when I get paid next. Both drivers and passenger bank get quite loose when they’re cold. Not sure how normal that is.
When cold its normal as they get tension from oil pressure but when running in your vid you can see them slapping around a little more then normal how many miles on your truck?

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When cold its normal as they get tension from oil pressure but when running in your vid you can see them slapping around a little more then normal how many miles on your truck?
167K.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yep your way over due normally around 130k is the time to do chains and lifters its a easy job you should be able to do it yourself stay away from the amazon kits. Once this is done just change the oil every 3-4k and it will out live any 5.7 hemi these are really good engines have seen em well over 200k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yep your way over due normally around 130k is the time to do chains and lifters its a easy job you should be able to do it yourself stay away from the amazon kits. Once this is done just change the oil every 3-4k and it will out live any 5.7 hemi these are really good engines have seen em well over 200k.
Do you think that’s what could be causing this then? This engine was heavily neglected before i got it in 2020.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Small update:

I might not be able to work on the truck soon, had a small work injury and crushed my hand.

I checked for blow by today, just to see if there was any, and there was none. Just putting that out there.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Small update:

I might not be able to work on the truck soon, had a small work injury and crushed my hand.
Sounds like a big work injury to me. Take care of yourself..

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Something exhaust would sound about right to me. I dropped the trans in April to replace the torque converter with a high stall one, and couldn’t get some of the flange bolts in right/tightened all the way down. The U clamp also broke a while ago that holds the muffler pipe to the y pipe.
I would be checking out your mounting plate if you did not get all the bolts in proper, I am surprised it has not cratered before.
I am thinking Torque converter bolts, but now I reread, you mean transmission bolts ? you flex plate still could be buggered.

If you had the motor pulled down as far as you did , why not just go the rest of the way and pull the heads , and look at the cam. sounds kind of bearing to my old yrs.

I have not had one of these motors in any of my trucks.
Now that I had a coffee, I think you where talking about exhaust bolts.

Just read some more, sorry about the hand, take care, the truck will wait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be checking out your mounting plate if you did not get all the bolts in proper, I am surprised it has not cratered before.
I am thinking Torque converter bolts, but now I reread, you mean transmission bolts ? you flex plate still could be buggered.

If you had the motor pulled down as far as you did , why not just go the rest of the way and pull the heads , and look at the cam. sounds kind of bearing to my old yrs.

I have not had one of these motors in any of my trucks.
Now that I had a coffee, I think you where talking about exhaust bolts.

Just read some more, sorry about the hand, take care, the truck will wait.
I’m going to be pulling the heads soon. I know the cams are okay, it’s a SOHC design.

I hear it more on the drivers side of the engine after using a stethoscope on it more in depth. Loudest from the intake manifold weirdly enough.

I tested it again today by running it and pulling the plugs on the affected bank, noise didn’t change at all. Just ran progressively worse when i pulled the plugs, as expected.

I also took off the exhaust, tick was still there, so I know that’s not the cause of it.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a piston slap…..
I’m thinking it might be piston slap. Just makes me wonder why it would be okay the night before, and then when i start it up a few hours after running just fine, it starts to tick like this. I will be pulling the drivers head in a few days to see what’s up.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update 11/24

Taking the truck in for service on Wednesday to figure this out. I don’t wanna wait longer than i have to with this hand thing, and i would like to know what’s up so i can get it fixed.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update

Got tuck back from dealer. They pretty much told me that they can’t find the issue and screwed me for 200$. I will be tearing it down again tomorrow.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 4.7 is a very simple engine like i said before timing chains and lifters if you want to rule out lifters time consuming but pop the rockers off each cylinder one by one and fire it up each time.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 4.7 is a very simple engine like i said before timing chains and lifters if you want to rule out lifters time consuming but pop the rockers off each cylinder one by one and fire it up each time.
Whelp, i found the issue.

This bolt right here is broken on the exhaust manifold. I took the shields off to look after replacing timing chains, tensioners, lifters, and rockers and the tick didn’t change. Also verified bottom end and cylinder/piston condition again and all of the above were in absolutely perfect condition with minimal to no signs of wear.

Took the passenger heat shield off, felt around, and quickly discovered the issue…

Might explain why it preforms so badly now too. Check engine light went away.

Attachments

• IMG_7822.png
    IMG_7822.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:

I got the manifold bolt on the truck fixed, and it still ticks, to no avail. Had another shop look at it and they also couldn’t pin point the issue down for me.

I dropped the exhaust completely, made sure all fasteners etc were tight, noticed a loose heat shield on the passenger side of the cab over the exhaust, tightened that up, still to no avail.

Replaced the tensioners and lifters, still ticks. The loss in performance that i mentioned before is because of the knock sensor. Disabling it restores engine performance completely.

I’ve been driving it around, and it drives just fine aside from the stupid tick. I’ve had the engine torn down as far as i can with it still in the vehicle and i literally cannot find ANYTHING wrong with the engine. 1K miles put on the truck and even though the oil is dirty, the oil is clean and has 0 metal on the dipstick. This is AFTER running the truck up to 134MPH on a long stretch of flat road trying to get it to fail.

Only thing left to do is EGR valve maybe. I hear the tick loudest from it vs anything else, but wouldn’t that send a code? It had a code for the EGR valve sound 6 years ago that cleared itself.

I’m not willing to give up on this engine quite yet, especially given the fact it was produced within 3 days of the 4.7 cut off date.

OP
OP
Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Late update:

Turns out it wasn’t manifold bolts. I had the broken ones replaced along with new gaskets and so on, and the ticking didn’t go away.

So, i decided to experiment a little. Took the drivers valve cover off as the noise was louder there on Cyl 7. I then took off each rocker and I think i found the issue.

Without both rockers, engine would run just fine, no ticking, no abnormal noises at all aside from it misfiring (obviously.) I put in the intake rocker, engine would start just fine, everything would be just fine with no ticking at all. As soon as i put the exhaust rocker in, the tick immediately came back.

I don’t know what to make of it, but i know i have to pull the head. The cam is in good shape so i know that isn’t the issue, but im thinking it burned a valve. Explains the slightly lower compression too.